Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Message bombing What's that all about?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-16, 13:48

Quite often I get private messages from tourney hosts advertising a tourney that is shortly due to commence. It happens with a variety of hosts and their tourneys.
To the best of my recollection I have never played in that tourney nor otherwise encountered said host. And yet of the tens of thousands of online players I get this message (although I am probably not unique).
Sometimes I get this message the instant that I log in, before having had any chance to do anything.

It is a curiosity, really. I am not bothered by it, and am capable of ignoring the messages. I am just interested in how it works. Do these people compile a list of login names and then have some software that auto-messages them in bulk? Do they just select random individuals from the lobby and send messages one at a time (that sounds a bit laborious, to me)? How do they get to snap me up the instant that I log in?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-June-16, 14:22

Most likely they have marked you as a friend and a potential client for their tourney. So when you log in, they get the automated notice and send you the invite.

It's not bulk - it's manual and yes, it is laborious :) They create lists of "friends" as in "interesting people" and message them. You can ask them to stop doing that if you are not interested in their tourney.

#3 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-16, 14:24

I am pretty sure it is automated, probably using the so-called "chat assistant" that i've seen referenced somewhere in the forums.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-16, 14:29

Nope - they cant message multiple users simultaneously unless they have a private club. In that case, the message will appear with the -> Club arrow in front. For example Unibrige sends messages via Club.

#5 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-16, 14:30

View Postmatmat, on 2011-June-16, 14:24, said:

I am pretty sure it is automated, probably using the so-called "chat assistant" that i've seen referenced somewhere in the forums.

i hear it's this guy
Spoiler

OK
bed

#6 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-June-16, 14:42

View Postjjbrr, on 2011-June-16, 14:30, said:

i hear it's this guy
Spoiler

I always knew he was evil!
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#7 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-16, 15:01

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2011-June-16, 14:42, said:

star tm ok

fyp
OK
bed

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-June-16, 16:42

View Postdiana_eva, on 2011-June-16, 14:29, said:

Nope - they cant message multiple users simultaneously unless they have a private club. In that case, the message will appear with the -> Club arrow in front. For example Unibrige sends messages via Club.

So does that mean that they could create a private club, make you a member of it without consulting you, and then bulk message you as a club member?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-16, 16:59

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-June-16, 16:42, said:

So does that mean that they could create a private club, make you a member of it without consulting you, and then bulk message you as a club member?

They cannot create a private club any time they wish. They have to ask permission to set up a club and as far as i know there haven't been any new clubs approved in a few years now...

They are not supposed to make you a club member without consulting you. If that happens, you can write to the club manager and ask to be removed.

Another thing is - these organisations are autonomous and they just use our software for their events, so we're not interfering into their business much. People have to sort these things out with each club's management.

However what you describe sounds like you are receiving private messages, from various TDs, and not bulk club messages.

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-17, 03:27

Unless of course he's talking about lobby chat.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   mohitz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-17, 04:30

I used to get these messages all the time. In my case, i had played in some of their tournaments. I presume they added me as friend and just messaged whenever i logged in or before tournament starts.

Anyway, the frequent messaging really started irritating me after a while. So, i asked them to remove me from the list a few times. When that didn't happen, I complained to BBO and they took care of it.
All your ace are belong to us!

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-18, 14:13

Any time I get one of those messages I mark the sender as an enemy.

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-June-23, 04:41

spam bots are approaching Turing criteria..
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-June-23, 05:02

View Postgwnn, on 2011-June-23, 04:41, said:

spam bots are approaching Turing criteria..

Holy cr*p you are right. Just took a look at his other posts. Unbelievable. I started to wonder where are the adverts, but they are embedded in the sig. I know we are going all commercial, and all, but can't someone stomp on this account?

#15 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 05:25

Yeah reporting it to mods. I was wondering why he keeps posting that thing on Fred's counting game :o

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users