BBO Discussion Forums: Could slam be on the cards? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could slam be on the cards?

Poll: Could slam be on the cards? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid?

1. 2NT (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. 3C (3 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. 3D (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

4. 3H (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

5. 4C (6 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

6. 4D (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

7. 4S (6 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

8. 4N (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Abstain, 1S was too horrible (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-December-13, 17:40

Obviously, some of you will have opened 2 instead. Anyway, what now?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2010-December-13, 18:14

View Postmgoetze, on 2010-December-13, 17:40, said:

Even I would have opened 2 :) Only because I have spades...would happily open at the 1-level with any other suit.

I assume we are not playing constructive raises. Slam is a possibility: picture Kxx xxx Axx Jxxx to see how easy it is.

I can't see how to get there. I thought about a help suit try with 3, hoping he plays, as I do, that he has to cue a minor Ace along the way if he is accepting the try. However, even assuming that he has the heart K to accpet (and he doesn't in the methods I play), and has the diamond A, he won't hold the spade K as well, so the slam won't be better than 50% on a diamond lead.

The problem is that what I really want to know is his minor holdings, even more than his heart holding...and I can't find out.

So I bid 4. And remind myself next time to open 2(not that doing so would solve all problems).
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-13, 18:54

View Postmikeh, on 2010-December-13, 18:14, said:

Even I would have opened 2 :) Only because I have spades...would happily open at the 1-level with any other suit.

I assume we are not playing constructive raises. Slam is a possibility: picture Kxx xxx Axx Jxxx to see how easy it is.

I can't see how to get there. I thought about a help suit try with 3, hoping he plays, as I do, that he has to cue a minor Ace along the way if he is accepting the try. However, even assuming that he has the heart K to accpet (and he doesn't in the methods I play), and has the diamond A, he won't hold the spade K as well, so the slam won't be better than 50% on a diamond lead.

The problem is that what I really want to know is his minor holdings, even more than his heart holding...and I can't find out.

So I bid 4. And remind myself next time to open 2(not that doing so would solve all problems).

I'm bidding 3D to get a clue about it, if p bids 3S, Ill bid 4, if he bids 4S I'll bid 4NT, tough hand, probably depends on my day
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#4 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-December-13, 18:59

4 splinter, the more I think about it the more I like it :)

Otherwise I agree with Mike, I'd bid 3 if not feeling creative.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-13, 20:05

View Postmikeh, on 2010-December-13, 18:14, said:

....So I bid 4. And remind myself next time to open 2(not that doing so would solve all problems).

Indeed it would not solve all the problems in this hand, if not makes it worse..

2--2
2--3

We have now less info about the partner's hand (compared to constructive 2 major bidders over 1 major) and less space to discover it....Anyway, i agree that this hand can make slam and it doesn't need too much, as well as can go down in slam with more than expected in pd's hand (like he may have remaining 2 keycards + Q and we still may have no play for slam)

We don't play constructive 2, so i think i would just bid 4 and hope 5 is going down or has at least some guessing to do.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-December-14, 03:22

I don't mind 1 although it's very close! Now I'd just bid 2NT, generally asking for features.

I don't like splintering , partner will have poor s and will like his hand too much for no reason at all. I'd rather splinter .
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-December-14, 03:50

Yes, splintering 4 is really asking for trouble. Partner will drive slam with Kxx Kxx Qxxx xxx.

4 is much more effective - I don't mind if he insists on slam with Kxx KQx xxxx xxx.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-December-14, 04:27

No slam thanks. And yes I'd have opened 2 - what rebids do I have?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-December-14, 04:54

IMO
  • 2 = 10, 1 = 8.
  • 3 = 10. 3 = 9, 4 = 7, 4 = 4. For slam to be good, partner needs something like K & AQ or A & KQ or K & K & A or K & A & Jxxx. Six-ace RKC trial bids help with some of these. Over 3, responder bids 3 = no interest. Other steps show 3, 1, 2, 2 + Q. K and K both vount as aces,

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-14, 09:43

View PostMrAce, on 2010-December-13, 20:05, said:

Indeed it would not solve all the problems in this hand, if not makes it worse..

2--2
2--3

We have now less info about the partner's hand (compared to constructive 2 major bidders over 1 major) and less space to discover it....Anyway, i agree that this hand can make slam and it doesn't need too much, as well as can go down in slam with more than expected in pd's hand (like he may have remaining 2 keycards + Q and we still may have no play for slam)

We don't play constructive 2, so i think i would just bid 4 and hope 5 is going down or has at least some guessing to do.

I would open 2, but (@MikeH) I would also do so if I held hearts instead of spades.

While it is true that we do not know much about partner's hand (after 2 - 2 - 2 - 3), he knows a whole lot about ours. Good agreements help, but a non-serious 3N would tell partner, "I am a minimum, cue if you like your hand". There is a also a reliable inference that partner did not splinter over 2, which further limits our slam prospects. If partner did not move positively over 3N, then I would feel pretty confident we do not have 6. Only a strong club can solve these problems with any kind of certainty.

In the actual auction, I'll try 2N. Hopefully partner can tell me what suit he'd accept a game try in. I can then cuebid and possibly extract some meaningful information.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-14, 09:52

View PostMrAce, on 2010-December-13, 20:05, said:

2--2
2--3

We have now less info about the partner's hand (compared to constructive 2 major bidders over 1 major) and less space to discover it....

But partner has more information and this is the whole point of the 2 opening bid. You do not open 2 for your own sake, you do this to describe your hand to partner.
The 2 opener simply bids 4 after 3, showing a minimum one-suiter. Partner with two keycards, the ace and the king, and some other minor goodies will continue over 4 and pass otherwise.

Rainer Herrmann

#12 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-December-14, 09:55

I'd bid 4, I don't think it has to be a splinter, just a cue-bid. I might bid 3 which I play as a long suit try, but then if I get the 4 response, what am I to do?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-December-14, 13:13

On the actual hand, I bid 3. I planned to raise 3 to 4, but partner bid 4, so I asked for keycards, found none, and signed off in 5, making exactly (partner had KJxxx, K was offside, A was onside).

One thing I liked about 3 was the "Zia effect" - it might scare opps out of leading diamonds when they ought to do so.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2010-December-14, 14:06

@ Phil & Rhm ; I guess you did not read what i wrote completely. Partner's having more idea about our hand will NOT work on our favour everytime since he will drag us to slam with K +A+ another no use Q . Basically he WILL love his honours when he holds 2 keycards. As Mikeh said, a Jxxx is as valuable as K if not more.

Kxx Qxxx AJxx xx - Good luck with solving your problems.

Kxx KQJx KJx xx - Good luck on lead, fancy non serious 3 NT just disabled us from playing 6NT from pd's hand, which is cold.

Kxx QJx KJxx xxx - Another 10 hcp even if Q is well placed or if not led even if u guessed it, still needs finesse.

xxxx Qxx AQJx Jx

I tried to say " can make slam on very few cards, can have no play when pd has a lot"

Now i agree opening 2 tells our pd a lot about our hand. Just don't think it will work on our benefit all the time though. Especially this hand. 2 small makes this hand VERY vulnerable. And everyone's main goal will be to spot stopper before they reach to slam, which reduces to make other constructive bids untill they spot it even with agreements like serious or non serious 3 NT which may not be used by every pdship. If you do have a method to learn Jxxx or longer , then more power to you. I don't in my system. Even Jxxx doesn't warranth a lay down slam.

EDIT : Don't get me wrong, i am not saying opening 2 is wrong. I would have opened it 2 myself, for totally different reasons. As most of you noticed by now, i am from europe and my style different than some of you. I am too agressive for bidding games, and extremely conservative with slam bidding. I don't even believe in making game trial bids, it is not even scientific to me. I believe when we bid a borderline game, a good outcome depends on 3 more factors than what me and my pd has and this is at the 3rd rank of priority among all 4. I would have opened this hand 2 for not missing a game rather than to be able to find a slam.

Opening 2 works better with this hand when pd has weak hands compared to 9+ hcp hands imo.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-15, 08:27

View PostMrAce, on 2010-December-14, 14:06, said:

@ Phil & Rhm ; I guess you did not read what i wrote completely. Partner's having more idea about our hand will NOT work on our favour everytime since he will drag us to slam with K +A+ another no use Q . Basically he WILL love his honours when he holds 2 keycards. As Mikeh said, a Jxxx is as valuable as K if not more.

Kxx Qxxx AJxx xx - Good luck with solving your problems.

Kxx KQJx KJx xx - Good luck on lead, fancy non serious 3 NT just disabled us from playing 6NT from pd's hand, which is cold.

Kxx QJx KJxx xxx - Another 10 hcp even if Q is well placed or if not led even if u guessed it, still needs finesse.

xxxx Qxx AQJx Jx

I admit I didn't read all your post this time, I stopped when you gave 3, 10 counts and a 13 count for his single raise.

IMO there are times for a KQJ or AKQ splinter, but that is when you are trully loaded and want to force partner to cuebid. Here we ain't loaded enough for it to work.

On this hand I'd bid 3 red, hearts for my long suit try, and continue only when partner does make a cuebid by himself

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2010-December-15, 15:54

View PostFluffy, on 2010-December-15, 08:27, said:

I admit I didn't read all your post this time, I stopped when you gave 3, 10 counts and a 13 count for his single raise.

Are u deciding to open 2 or not, after you already opened 1 and pd makes a single raise ? <_< I don't think u can do that unless u have a magic time machine that can make u travel back and reconsider your first choice of opening ;)

You are missing the point, reading is required. If u read it all, you could see those hands i gave was a possibilty that your pd may have held if u opened 2 and instead of working on your benefit, this time they would carry u to some slams where u dont even have a play.

#17 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-15, 16:45

View PostHanoi5, on 2010-December-14, 09:55, said:

I'd bid 4, I don't think it has to be a splinter, just a cue-bid. I might bid 3 which I play as a long suit try, but then if I get the 4 response, what am I to do?

I'm intrigued by the 4C! , ostensibly a splinter. Partner obviously will see he has "no wastage" in Cl ( even with the J x x x ) and will likely make a cue bid ( Diam or Hts ).

But let's look at his point count. Playing 2/1, the 2S response is 8,9 exact . At best he has the remaining 3 Kings... and that makes the slam 50% at best ( Diam Ace onside ) .
He can't have and A K K because that would have solicited a forcing 1NT!, and next the 3 card limit raise.

If he has a hK and dA you have a 50% chance on the Sp finesse.
If he has the dAK, you still have a 50% chance ( Sp finesse ).
If he has the sK and dA, you are bound to have 2 red losers.

• If you go 4C!, and partner bids a 4H!(cue ) you can sign off in 4S since he denied a Diam Ctrl.

• If you get a 4D! Ctrl cue ... hell, go for it with 4NT RKC just to make sure he has at least 1 key card.
If not, stop in 5S and pray.
If so, go to 6S... and pray

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-16, 02:39

View PostMrAce, on 2010-December-15, 15:54, said:

Are u deciding to open 2 or not, after you already opened 1 and pd makes a single raise ? <_< I don't think u can do that unless u have a magic time machine that can make u travel back and reconsider your first choice of opening ;
Ok, that makes a lot more sense, I should've read all sorry ;)

#19 User is offline   ewleongusa 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-16, 03:41

A slam that you would want to be in is possible if partner has either D AKQ or H KQ and D A.
You have a shot at getting to slam if you bid 3C as a help suit game try.
If partner has a maximum but obviously no club help he might bid 3D holding D AKQ or 3H holding H KQ and DA.
Next, I plan to bid 4C to show serious slam intent. If partner can bid 4D then 6S has to be surely a decent bet.

Eric Leong

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users