BBO Discussion Forums: Is this simple? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this simple?

#1 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,258
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2010-December-01, 02:44

IMPs, NS Vulnerable


This felt like a tempo-sensitive situation at the table but even now when I have more time to consider I am still unsure what is best.

Partner's 2♦ is competitive and forcing for one round. You do not play good/bad 2NT.

Which calls do you consider and what is your final choice? It is not an appeal/ruling question, I was just unhappy with my choice.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#2 User is offline   rhm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,092
  • Joined: 2005-June-27

Posted 2010-December-01, 03:49

I would bid 4♥.
Raising ♦ is likely to be better only if you can make six, which is possible if partner has ♦AK and ♣A. With that much he might move over 4♥ anyway.
If opponents continue with 4♠, I will next bid 5♦ next even if partner doubles. Too risky to leave the double in with so much support for ♦. If 5♦ goes down I do not expect to get doubled.
I see 2 distant alternatives: 3♠ or 3♦, with the intention of bidding 4♥ next. This assumes that 3♦ is unlikely to get passed out. Neither alternative does justice to the ♥ suit.

Rainer Herrmann
0

#3 User is offline   hotShot 

  • Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,976
  • Joined: 2003-August-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2010-December-01, 04:01

Opps and partners bidding made 4♥ very attractive, 3♦ or 3♥ won't get me there.

Hopping that partner has 2♥s and that he covers my ♦ loser seems not asking to much.

So I would bid 4♥.
0

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-December-01, 08:37

I wanna play 4♥ however I'd only bid 3♥ cos I consider it forcing.
0

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2010-December-01, 09:15

I want to play 4♥ most of the time as well, but I want to play 6♦ opposite as little as xxx x AKxxx Axxx, and no number of hearts is going to get me there.

This isn't matchpoints, so +600 in 5♦ rather than +650 in hearts is no big deal. I think I will bid 3♠...this preserves some chance of playing hearts (say he bids 3N..now I bid 4♥) while also allowing us to find some diamond slams.

4♠ is aimed more directly at slam and may turn out to have been the best choice, but I don't think I want to commit to diamonds quite as strongly as that call suggests.

Tough problem....at mps, I agree with 3♥, so long as I am sure partner will take it as forcing, since it (slightly) preserves diamond possibilities: at least compared to 4♥.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-December-01, 09:36

3♠, good hand with a ♦ fit. will rebid 4♥ next, good hand with a ♦ fit and interest in ♥ too. I will not conceal my ♦ fit sorry everyone

jumping in this ♥ suit is far too unilateral to me, partner will pass me with x or not even x in hearts, what will I tell him then?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#7 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-01, 10:17

3♠ is one of those funny splinters, no? - since our pass is forcing over 2♠ (I hope!).

FYI, I do not play g/b after a two level response.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2010-December-01, 11:53

I'd bid 3♠, given the methods. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to bid 2NT to show a diamond raise?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#9 User is offline   han 

  • Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,797
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Posted 2010-December-01, 14:28

I'd bid 3S. I don't think pass is forcing, and I don't think that 3S is a funny splinter. Fluffy's suggestion that 3H is forcing makes this thread completely bizarre.

Whether you bid 3S, 4D, 4H, 4S, 5D, I don't think that there is anything time-sensitive about these calls.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar
1

#10 User is offline   l milne 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 2010-October-29

Posted 2010-December-01, 17:50

Agree with Han.

I would've thought 2NT is 6♥ 4♣ with 3♣ showing 55+.
0

#11 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-December-02, 04:41

Why would 3♠ be a funny splinter? It's just a cuebid...
No idea if pass should be forcing, I wouldn't consider it forcing actually.

3♠ seems like a good start, lets see what partner tells us.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#12 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,258
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2010-December-02, 05:45

View Posthan, on 2010-December-01, 14:28, said:

Whether you bid 3S, 4D, 4H, 4S, 5D, I don't think that there is anything time-sensitive about these calls.

I was thinking that if you were considering making a non-forcing bid, such as 3♦ or 4♥, then you'd prefer to do it tempo. Which would mean you have to think about the other possibilities quickly.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#13 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,258
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2010-December-02, 05:48

On the actual hand it mattered little what you do. My partner even bid the diamond slam after I wimped out bid a strategic 3♦.

My concern about 4♥ was missing a diamond slam. My concern about 3♠ was continuations if LHO bid 4♠. My choice was made on the basis that I could catch up later, if there was a later. As I said, I was unhappy with my bidding on this.

Thanks for the contributions.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-December-02, 07:33

paul I am a bit puzzled with the definition of "competitive and forcing for one round"

What is the worst hand partner would bid it on?. Can he pass if we bid 2♥ over 2♦?
0

#15 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,258
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2010-December-02, 08:40

View PostFluffy, on 2010-December-02, 07:33, said:

paul I am a bit puzzled with the definition of "competitive and forcing for one round"

What is the worst hand partner would bid it on?. Can he pass if we bid 2♥ over 2♦?

2♥ would not be forcing over 2♦, if partner has bid with a misfitting nine count. I think 'competitive' means an ultra-light 2/1, so minimum of 8 or 9 points with a fair (6-card) suit.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#16 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-December-02, 08:49

View Postpaulg, on 2010-December-01, 02:44, said:


IMPs, NS Vulnerable
Partner's 2♦ is competitive and forcing for one round. You do not play good/bad 2NT.
This felt like a tempo-sensitive situation at the table but even now when I have more time to consider I am still unsure what is best.
Which calls do you consider and what is your final choice? It is not an appeal/ruling question, I was just unhappy with my choice.
IMO 3♠ = 10, 4♥ = 9, 4♦ = 8. 3♥ = 7
4♥ is best if it shows this kind of hand, conventionally.
0

#17 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-02, 10:01

View PostFree, on 2010-December-02, 04:41, said:

Why would 3♠ be a funny splinter? It's just a cuebid...
No idea if pass should be forcing, I wouldn't consider it forcing actually.

3♠ seems like a good start, lets see what partner tells us.


Maybe someone else can provide the link but in several places we have discussed an auction like:

1♠ - pass - 2♦ - 2♥;
3♥

and a sizable and intelligent group thought this was a splinter. Why not a cuebid? Because you do not need a cue since we are in a forcing pass auction, which prompted my question to Paul.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#18 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,258
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2010-December-02, 11:09

In the UK I would not expect pass to be forcing over 2♠, though gnasher may correct me.

For the majority of players this is because light 2/1s in Acol mean that a force through 2NT (or higher) has not been created. Gnasher or Frances probably has more insight into the top English players, but it doesn't feel a forcing auction to me.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2010-December-02, 16:04

View PostPhil, on 2010-December-02, 10:01, said:

Maybe someone else can provide the link but in several places we have discussed an auction like:

1♠ - pass - 2♦ - 2♥;
3♥

and a sizable and intelligent group thought this was a splinter. Why not a cuebid? Because you do not need a cue since we are in a forcing pass auction, which prompted my question to Paul.


That's (probably) a very different auction. If you found a sizeable group of people to discuss this sequence, they were probably discussing a game-forcing 2♦.

In Paul's sequence, 2♦ is forcing only as far as 2♥. I don't think it's normal for such a call to set up a forcing pass above 2♥.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#20 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-December-02, 18:37

Seems that the difference is paul's 2♦is forcing but doesn't promise a rebid
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users