• Group: Members

Posted 2010-November-07, 14:33

1 =WJ05

What do you think the double should be?

#2 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-07, 15:02

Clearly penalty. We've found our fit, why would a takeout double be needed?

#3 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-November-07, 16:47

Ummmmm... indeed. Penalty.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#4 User is offline   karlis_ooo 

• PipPip

Posted 2010-November-08, 06:23

My partner also thought that it is penalty.

I somewhat don't want to agree with that. Partner is on lead, meaning that if he wants to get a ruff some communication will be needed. Opponents are vulnerable and trump stack also feels unlikely. Partner is limited and if he has something along lines of KQx means that his strength in his long suits is limited. I somewhat doubt opponents would bid this way with honours in our suits.

I would like to think that double should be something like 5431 and involves partner ir decision whether to play 5 or 4 doubled.

I had x JTxxx Axxx xxx and bid 5 going down 2 doubled.
Partner had some flattish 12 count with Kxx and 4 was indeed down one...

#5 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-12, 06:48

Penalty. The hand is already limited by 2.

What does "WJ05" mean?
Michael Askgaard

#6 User is offline   Tomi2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-12, 07:19

View Postmfa1010, on 2010-November-12, 06:48, said:

Penalty. The hand is already limited by 2.

What does "WJ05" mean?

They seem to play polish club, that used to mean, that 1dia and then 2hea can not be on a flat hand with 12 points, since its either 44 reds and 41 in blacks or 5di 4he...

but Jassem wrote his WJ05 book and now 3442 with kxx in spades seems possible

I dont know why double here should mean "lets give them 5 imps if it goes or if we bid 5h for 800" I would expect partner to have 4441 and one of the oponents to have overbid his hand here. and I think this is the first time, I vote for "pentalty double" in this forum

your opartnetrs double most likely was a mistake that randomly would have changed 100 into 200 for you, your take out was probably a serious mistake that never improves your score (or maybe from 790 back to 500 if you dont go for 800)

#7 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-12, 09:18

Penalty, we can still have 3 trump tricks on this auction. Especially since we've limited our hand TWICE (once with opening, once with 2) this is penalty.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#8 User is offline   karlis_ooo 

• PipPip

Posted 2010-November-14, 11:02

View PostTomi2, on 2010-November-12, 07:19, said:

They seem to play polish club, that used to mean, that 1dia and then 2hea can not be on a flat hand with 12 points, since its either 44 reds and 41 in blacks or 5di 4he...

but Jassem wrote his WJ05 book and now 3442 with kxx in spades seems possible

I dont know why double here should mean "lets give them 5 imps if it goes or if we bid 5h for 800" I would expect partner to have 4441 and one of the oponents to have overbid his hand here. and I think this is the first time, I vote for "pentalty double" in this forum

your opartnetrs double most likely was a mistake that randomly would have changed 100 into 200 for you, your take out was probably a serious mistake that never improves your score (or maybe from 790 back to 500 if you dont go for 800)

3442 is mandatory, but 1 opening also shows values in , not just 4 cards.

I don't know where did you get that quote, but it has nothing to do with this situation.

IMO in this situation penalty double has no merit (and i can assure, that you cannot have 3 trump tricks), so why give away 5 imps? or hope for distant -1 and +3 IMPS, while we have 10 or 11 trick in .

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-14, 11:55

I like all the non-alertable options on the acbl card and this one looks like maximal.

I'm expecting a flatish max (14) with prime defence, ie AK A and a piece or two.

It's penalty with crossed fingers. I guess a 12 count with 3 defensive tricks and poor hearts can take a shot.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-November-16, 02:31

It's one of the most obvious penalty Doubles you can see. Partner limited his hand with 2, so he can't have extra values and distribution all of a sudden to suggest a sacrifice to 5-level. He doesn't need your judgement, and he definitely doesn't want you to pull with a weak hand.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-November-16, 02:41

This is an obvious penalty double.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2010-November-16, 03:50

View Postkarlis_ooo, on 2010-November-08, 06:23, said:

<snip>
Partner is limited and if he has something along lines of KQx means that his strength in his long suits is limited. I somewhat doubt opponents would bid this way with honours in our suits.
I would like to think that double should be something like 5431 and involves partner ir decision whether to play 5 or 4 doubled.
I had x JTxxx Axxx xxx and bid 5 going down 2 doubled.
Partner had some flattish 12 count with Kxx and 4 was indeed down one...
<snip>

#1 Why cant p have KQx in spades? Because your opponents are always sane peoble?
Why second guess p holding, if he sees it himself?
#2 You are certainly allowed to run, assuming you have a hand p can not really expect,
the hand you have does not belong to this category, you even have a sure defensive trick,
you never promised one.
#3 p was right? Brilliant, this does not make the penalty X a good bid, but it would have
worked out well, one reason for making such a bid is state of match / tournament, trying
to go for the maximal number of IMPs / MP, and under certain conditions, the bid may even
be matadory, ..., and maybe your partner did know the opponents, did know, that they like
to stretch?

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users