BBO Discussion Forums: slam hunt - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

slam hunt bidding over constructive 3NT

Poll: what's 4C? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

If you're not one who never uses Gerber, nor insists 4C is always Gerber, what would 4C mean after 1NT(14-17) - P - 3H(6+ hearts, GF & slam interest) - P - 3N(exactly 2 hearts) - P - ?

1. Gerber (2 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

2. 1st round control (14 votes [51.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.85%

3. 2nd suit (4 votes [14.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

4. other (7 votes [25.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2010-December-06, 14:03

For me 3 would deny any shortness, and 4 would show a control; 1. or 2. rokke. And still slam interest.
Kind regards,
Harald

#22 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-December-06, 18:08

View Postrq4mulae, on 2010-November-15, 01:33, said:

Secondary question: would you make the 3 bid holding KQJ9 - KT98xx - KQ9 ?
IMO
  • A sensible use for 4 is RKC Gerber for . Alternatively it could be a cue, setting as trumps.
  • With 46 in the majors you could start with Stayman or a Transfer.

#23 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-December-06, 19:07

View PostPhil, on 2010-December-05, 10:12, said:

I've never liked the 1N - 3M treatment as forcing and slammish. Isn't this one of the reasons we play transfers?

So do you play transfer then 3M = slammish or do you do something else with those hands?

I don't see how it matters how you fit everything in - you will still be at 3M when you have indicated your suit and hand type. Perhaps occasionally you would prefer partner played the hand and need the transfer affect but this is often needed when both hands are strong.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#24 User is offline   lexlogan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-08, 12:55

View PostPhil, on 2010-December-05, 10:12, said:

4 is a cue conveying the message "I do not care you have poor support". If responder simply wanted to set trump and ace for key cards, he would have bid 4 and then 4N. Responder also has a flaw somewhere where asking for key cards is not practical, like a two-loser suit, or a void perhaps.

On the actual hand, responder made a poor choice with 3. What is wrong with 2?

I've never liked the 1N - 3M treatment as forcing and slammish. Isn't this one of the reasons we play transfers?

Agree 4C is cue-bid with 6 card suit. For me it does not promise 1st round control, it can be Ace or King. It will not be a short suit since I could transfer then jump as an autosplinter.

1NT-3M is quite valuable for slam interest hands with no singleton and no side suit. If you start with a transfer, you have to follow with 4M (6+ card suit) or 4NT (5332) to show slam interest, neither of which is forcing and both of which eliminate your below-game cue-bidding room. I define 1NT-3M as "single-suited slam try, usually no singleton or void." The given hand of course should start with Stayman since a 4-4 spade fit would be preferred.
Paul Hightower

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-09, 04:06

View PostCascade, on 2010-December-06, 19:07, said:

So do you play transfer then 3M = slammish or do you do something else with those hands?

I don't see how it matters how you fit everything in - you will still be at 3M when you have indicated your suit and hand type. Perhaps occasionally you would prefer partner played the hand and need the transfer affect but this is often needed when both hands are strong.

You can get around using 1NT - 3M for this by using a 2-way follow-up after a transfer. So, for me, 1NT - 2D - 2H - 2S is a range ask usually showing a simple 2NT rebid but can also be the 1-suited slam hand. Similarly 1NT - 2H - 2S - 3C can be either a normal 3D rebid or 1-suited and slammy. You are giving something up here but gaining the immediate 3M responses to show, for example, shortage - a reasonable trade-off imho. Of course you are correct in arriving at the same point, at the 3 level, after showing hand type.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users