BBO Discussion Forums: Question on hand evaluation... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question on hand evaluation... All votes welcome.

Poll: Do you pass, or bid 4H? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you pass, or bid 4H?

1. Pass (14 votes [51.85%])

Percentage of vote: 51.85%

2. Bid 4H (13 votes [48.15%])

Percentage of vote: 48.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-August-20, 17:23

You have:
Scoring: MP

The bidding is currently at 3, the hearts first bid by you. Your partner has:
14 or 15 HCP, not counting distribution.
A singleton spade (not void).
Exactly 4 hearts.
4-6 diamonds.
And therefore 2-4 clubs.

Do you pass the 3 bid, or push on to game?

#2 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-20, 18:18

4H.

You have 23-24 hcp between you, you have a doubleton, pd has a singleton, and either
1) pd has a 5+ card suit, or
2) you have 8 clubs between you.

Nice to know scoring, vulnerability, and bidding, though!

Peter

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-August-20, 18:35

3H is the limit for me.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-20, 19:24

4H

I just constructed a few random hands in my head consistent with the information and on each one I wanted to be in 4.

But I am not happy with the information provided.

There is a considerable difference in the playing strength between the three possible hand shapes:
1-4-4-4, or 1-4-5-3, or 1-4-6-2
for a given number of high card points.
I feel that partner should have done something to help you by narrowing the range of his total playing strength rather than just high card points.

I might prefer to try 3NT (partner can still convert to 4H if he prefers).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2004-August-20, 22:45

8 losers opposite a jump from pard of 3, that should be showing a 5 loser hand. Bid game, and enjoy the quality dummy.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#6 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-20, 23:22

pbleighton, on Aug 20 2004, 07:18 PM, said:

Nice to know scoring, vulnerability, and bidding, though!

Peter

The scoring and vulnerability are listed.

The bidding was:
1 1

Which is a Midrange Splinter, showing all the information I put down.

And no, I don't want your opinion on midrange splinters. :rolleyes: It really doesn't make any difference...most systems you'll end up with about that much information at the point that you have to choose whether to go for game.

#7 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-20, 23:27

1eyedjack, on Aug 20 2004, 08:24 PM, said:

There is a considerable difference in the playing strength between the three possible hand shapes:

Fair enough. Now tell me, if I told you the exact distribution, which ones would you want to be in game?

If it matters, the rare cases where you could have such a count and distribution have have 6 losers, he'd have found something else to bid. So he almost certainly has 5, with a tiny chance of 4. Of course, it would be a lot nicer if that KJ was in diamonds....

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-21, 02:48

jtfanclub, on Aug 21 2004, 12:27 AM, said:

Fair enough. Now tell me, if I told you the exact distribution, which ones would you want to be in game?

distribution have have 6 losers, he'd have found something else to bid. So he almost certainly has 5, with a tiny chance oIf it matters, the rare cases where you could have such a count and f 4. Of course, it would be a lot nicer if that KJ was in diamonds....

Strangely enough I think that the 1-4-5-3 shape is the least attractive. 3 card Club support for your 4 card Club suit exposes you to the greatest expected number of losers in the suit. If you went purely on LTC I MIGHT be tempted to pass 3H If I knew he had a 6 loser hand with this shape at MP (I would always go to game at IMP). Sure the total LTC would indicate game given your own 8 loser hand, but then you are giving up on all of the benefits of using splinters, that give you a chance to re-evaluate. KJx in Spades is wasted.

But if you say he should have a 5 loser hand I am going to 4 under all conditions.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-August-21, 08:41

Clear pass imo, you have lost HCP in , and only an 8-card fit between you. You're VERY far away from game imo.

And indeed the 1-4-5-3 is the least attractive, but even the other 2 possible distributions don't help me much imo.

PASS
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   Gerben47 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-August-21, 09:49

PASS

I agree with Free
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!

#11 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Challenge square dancing (besides the obvious)

Posted 2004-August-21, 10:04

4H

I just constructed a few random hands in my head consistent with the information and on each one I wanted to be in 4.

I wrote some sample hands with the constraints down and on some 4H has no play and others it's 50%. So, I think it's a pass.

Beginners would say that dummy has 17-18 counting the singleton and that should be enough. But your system has shown you that the singleton is not pulling its full weight across from your KJ7. Your trumps aren't that good, and you have no aces. With no diamond help and poor trumps, it might be hard to set up dummy even if it has six diamonds. Take advantage of your system and pass.
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users