• You cannot reply to this topic

2NT following strong openings Benji Acol

#1 User is offline   badderzboy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-August-17, 03:58

I play Benji Acol with
2NT showing 19-21 pts
2 an Acol 2 and proposing a balanced hand 22-23.
2 showing the G/F 23+ and proposing 2NT showing 24-25.
How should you show 26+ bal?)

Would you recommend using stayman(we use puppet) and transfers/Smolen over the 2NT response by opener when
(i) A negative response is made?
(ii) A positive response is made? (i.e. 2H or 2S over 2C and 2S over 2D) and adapting it so a transfer to that suit shows 6+ and then puppet stayman over the 2NT shows at least a 3 card suit in the other major and 5 in the original bid and so on? If you were going to adapt to systems on after a positive response to a strong 2 would you swap the 2 and 2 (ie reverse Benji).

What do u lose in doing the above?

Thanks for your advice in advance

Steve

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-August-17, 04:46

I wouldn't play 24-25, but just 24+. It's been a very long time since I even reached 24HCP. If you really have a lot more, then you should zoom (bid again to show the extra strength) after your partner bids 3NT or you have to bid 3NT.

Another sollution is to play (just NT ranges):
2 as 21-22 or 25-26
2 as 23-24 or 27+
and rebid 3NT with the ultra strong hands. However, you lose about all conventions, unless you're willing to play them at 4-level (4 is stayman,...).

If you really want to include these very strong hands, I would play my first sollution, but it's more complicated.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-August-17, 08:28

You can play Kokish after 2 opening, and differ between different ranges in the NT bid.
2 - 2
2 NT = 22-23

2 - 2
2 - 2 (forced)
2NT = 26-27

2 - 2
3 NT = 28-29

2 - 2
2 - 2 (forced)
3NT = 30 +

It is also a great way to show 2 suited hand, which is a big problem for most strong 2 openers.

Mike ;)
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-August-17, 08:49

Some people play

2D 2H (2D = gf, 2H = bad hand)
2NT

as unlimited 24+. System is on, but opener is free to evade transfers and raise sign-off contracts with 26+ hands. This is a very simple way to solve the problem which works ok in virtually all hands.

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-17, 16:04

If you insist on playing a strong 2N, I like:

1) Puppet Stayman
2) 2/2 as transfers
3) 3 as a relay to 3N. Then:

4/4=RKCB in the other suit
4/4=5-5 in the minor and shortness
4N = 2245/2254 and slam invite.

Unless you are 100% confident of yourself and your pard, even though 3 is a relay to 3N, don't use 2N-3N as anything special.

If you still want to play it, play it as a transfer to 4 to show a very bad suit unfit for 3N, like x, xx, Q8xxxxx, xxx.
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   EarlPurple 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-August-20, 11:14

You must be blessed with good cards far more often than I am.

I hold bad cards more often and use my 2-level bids to show those.

Anyway, what you lose is once in a blue moon when you hold such a hand, and it happens to be the case that you have a 4-4 minor fit which plays a slam while in NT you make only 11 tricks. And on the odd occasion the trump suit will have 2 losers when you find a 4-4 fit while 6NT is cold. And lots of other possibilities.
You can't keep a good man down

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-20, 17:44

badderzboy, on Aug 17 2004, 04:58 AM, said:

I play Benji Acol with
2NT showing 19-21 pts
2 an Acol 2 and proposing a balanced hand 22-23.
2 showing the G/F 23+ and proposing 2NT showing 24-25.
How should you show 26+ bal?)

I would open a balanced hand with up to 20 points with 1-Suit opener. If partner cannot rustle up a response you are unlikely to be making game. However if you effectively open 2NT (either immediately or via 2m) with 19 or 20 points and partner cannot rustle up a response then 2NT is likely to be at some considerable risk.

I am also not that keen on a 3 point range for a 2N opener. It is uncomfortable enough playing in 2N after an invitation is declined following a 3 point range 1N opener. But after a 2N opener you do not even have the ability to invite.

Under my preferred method your strong balanced hands that commit to 2N start at 21 points, not 19, and this relieves the strain somewhat on stronger openers.

Furthermore, your continuations after 1-Suit opened are likely to be more accurate when responder CAN rustle up a response (assuming you make intelligent use of the bidding space that you have given to yourself).

After 1-suit response I play 2N rebid as 18-20. This replicates a 3 point range which as I said above I do not particularly like, but as responder has already come up with a bid the likelihood is that he has enough for game (perhaps very slightly augmented by the opponents' silence).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users