BBO Discussion Forums: Climate change - BBO Discussion Forums

• 177 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Climate change a different take on what to do about it.

#1721 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2014-March-23, 19:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-23, 18:33, said:

I fail to see how I can "back away" from something I never seriously proposed in the first place.

C'mon now. For a bit there you had an idea that you figured would make you "richer than Bill Gates," and you didn't start to back-pedal until I got you thinking about how your "government fiat" would affect your warm showers.
<_<
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#1722 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-23, 19:49

One of the major risks of climate change is the rising sea, so this bad news from Greenland is most unwelcome: Northeast Greenland ice loss accelerating, researchers say

The last remaining stable portion of the Greenland ice sheet is stable no more, an international team of scientists has discovered. The finding will likely boost estimates of expected global sea level rise in the future. The new result focuses on ice loss due to a major retreat of an outlet glacier connected to a long "river" of ice -- known as an ice stream -- that drains ice from the interior of the ice sheet.

Living on higher ground won't be a guarantee of safety. The people living in low areas are going to move higher no matter who owns the property there.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#1723 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-23, 20:15

As many posters repeat property rights with an independent judiciary, even an imperfect one is important.

Private property rights as compared to the central govt owning the mineral rights is an important issue. Many countries, most don't allow them. This is a huge issue. See Europe, See most of the world.

But to be fair this goes back to Winston's main thesis.

"Until markets see an imminent threat, there will be no market-driven response to climate change. That is why the libertarian method will not work. Passed Out's conservative idea is much better, to start cutting back and encourage market-based solutions, but I am certain that P.O. realizes government must goad the market to act if action is to be taken now."

#1724 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-23, 20:58

Please note all of this goes back to Plato and the Philosopher King.

Until markets see an imminent threat, there will be no market-driven response to climate change. That is why the libertarian method will not work. Passed Out's conservative idea is much better, to start cutting back and encourage market-based solutions, but I am certain that P.O. realizes government must goad the market to act if action is to be taken now."

#1725 User is offline   Daniel1960 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-24, 06:34

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-March-23, 07:45, said:

Good for them. Looks like they're finally learning.

You don't talk to flat earthers when plotting a trip around the world
You don't consult homeopath's when you're looking for treatments to cancer
You don't ask Libertarians for advice about the economy
And you don't pretend that global warming skeptics have anything useful to say about anything...

You forgot don't talk to climate modelers when looking for future temperature prediction.

#1726 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 06:52

Not only that, but selective reporting of regional effects (such as the above-mentioned Greenland melting away) where adjacent regions are undergoing the exact opposite...

But back to the AAAS and its cheezy statement (mostly due to the papers by and participation of Dr. Parmesan (really, no kidding)) in which all of their references have been refuted by actual observational data and other, more recent peer-reviewed studies viz:

Transparency allows the light of day to shine on the real truth.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#1727 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 08:14

No one denies global warming these days, the evidence is just too strong: WMO Annual Climate Statement Highlights Extreme Events

Geneva, 24 March 2014 – The year 2013 once again demonstrated the dramatic impact of droughts, heat waves, floods and tropical cyclones on people and property in all parts of the planet, according to the World Meteorological Organization’s Annual Statement on the Status of the Climate. The report confirmed that 2013 tied with 2007 as the sixth warmest on record, continuing the long-term global warming trend. It provided a snapshot of regional and national temperatures and extreme events as well as details of ice cover, ocean warming, sea level rise and greenhouse gas concentrations – all inter-related and consistent indicators of our changing climate.

Thirteen of the fourteen warmest years on record have all occurred in the 21st century, and each of the last three decades has been warmer than the previous one, culminating with 2001-2010 as the warmest decade on record. The average global land and ocean surface temperature in 2013 was 14.5°C (58.1°F) – 0.50°C (0.90°F) above the 1961–1990 average and 0.03°C (0.05°F) higher than the 2001–2010 decadal average. Temperatures in many parts of the southern hemisphere were especially warm, with Australia having its hottest year on record and Argentina its second hottest.

“Naturally occurring phenomena such as volcanic eruptions or El Niño and La Niña events have always contributed to frame our climate, influenced temperatures or caused disasters like droughts and floods. But many of the extreme events of 2013 were consistent with what we would expect as a result of human-induced climate change. We saw heavier precipitation, more intense heat, and more damage from storm surges and coastal flooding as a result of sea level rise - as Typhoon Haiyan so tragically demonstrated in the Philippines,” said WMO Secretary-General, Mr Michel Jarraud.

“There is no standstill in global warming,” said Mr Jarraud. The warming of our oceans has accelerated, and at lower depths. More than 90 percent of the excess energy trapped by greenhouse gases is stored in the oceans. Levels of these greenhouse gases are at record levels, meaning that our atmosphere and oceans will continue to warm for centuries to come. The laws of physics are non-negotiable.”

So we can't be too surprised when apologists for the polluters start to claim that global warming is actually a good thing. A list of the key climate events of 2013 puts that claim into perspective:

WMO’s statement, which is an internationally recognized authoritative source of information, highlights the key climate events of 2013:

• Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda), one of the strongest storms to ever make landfall, devastated parts of the central Philippines.
  • Surface air temperatures over land in the Southern Hemisphere were very warm, with widespread heat waves; Australia saw record warmth for the year, and Argentina its second warmest year and New Zealand its third warmest.
  • Frigid polar air plummeted into parts of Europe and the southeast United States.
  • Angola, Botswana and Namibia were gripped by severe drought.
  • Heavy monsoon rains led to severe floods on the India-Nepal border.
  • Heavy rains and floods impacted northeast China and the eastern Russian Federation.
  • Heavy rains and floods affected Sudan and Somalia.
  • Major drought affected southern China.
  • Northeastern Brazil experienced its worst drought in the past 50 years.
  • The widest tornado ever observed struck El Reno, Oklahoma in the United States.
  • Extreme precipitation led to severe floods in Europe’s Alpine region and in Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Poland, and Switzerland.
  • Israel, Jordan, and Syria were struck by unprecedented snowfall.
  • Greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere reached record highs.
  • The global oceans reached new record high sea levels.
  • The Antarctic sea ice extent reached a record daily maximum.

While we all have our local weather issues to deal with, it's sobering to see a list of what's happened globally.

#1728 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 08:26

View PostDaniel1960, on 2014-March-24, 06:34, said:

You forgot don't talk to climate modelers when looking for future temperature prediction.

How else would you go about predicting future temperatures?

#1729 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2014-March-24, 08:51

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-March-24, 08:14, said:

No one denies global warming these days, the evidence is just too strong: WMO Annual Climate Statement Highlights Extreme Events

So we can't be too surprised when apologists for the polluters start to claim that global warming is actually a good thing. A list of the key climate events of 2013 puts that claim into perspective:

While we all have our local weather issues to deal with, it's sobering to see a list of what's happened globally.

Yet, every official statement says that there is no link between CO2 and "extreme" weather events. Not only that but that the last few decades, as global temperatures have recently risen slightly, have seen fewer and less severe extremes than in recorded history.

#1730 User is offline   Daniel1960 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 09:10

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-March-24, 08:26, said:

How else would you go about predicting future temperatures?

How about using scientific research and data?

#1731 User is offline   Daniel1960 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 09:42

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2014-March-24, 08:51, said:

Yet, every official statement says that there is no link between CO2 and "extreme" weather events. Not only that but that the last few decades, as global temperatures have recently risen slightly, have seen fewer and less severe extremes than in recorded history.

In the U.S., tornadic activity (particularly the strongest and most severe) has decreased since 1950.

http://www.ncdc.noaa...matology/trends

Temperature extremes have also been dropped, as fewer new record lows AND highs have been recorded in the U.S. as the average temperature has increased.

http://wattsupwithth...p_image0042.png
http://wattsupwithth...ip_image008.png

#1732 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 09:42

View PostDaniel1960, on 2014-March-24, 09:10, said:

How about using scientific research and data?

Sure. But how does one actually use that scientific research and data to predict temperatures in the future, other than by building a model incorporating the data?

#1733 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2014-March-24, 10:05

The IPCC itself, initially, stated that the climate system was chaotic and therefore unable to be modeled accurately.

Recent peer-reviewed work suggests that significant parts and aspects of the earth's climate depend on TSI (It's the SUN, doh!) as well as orbital considerations and that these fluctuations adequately represent the typical variability in our global climate.

[CO2]? not so much (if at all).

Predictions are for swamis and as far as expectations go, the farther out you take them the bigger the uncertainty. If [CO2] is our only "control knob" and it has little to no effect then our monies are better spent on adapting to an ever-changing situation.

#1734 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-24, 10:17

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-March-23, 19:24, said:

C'mon now. For a bit there you had an idea that you figured would make you "richer than Bill Gates," and you didn't start to back-pedal until I got you thinking about how your "government fiat" would affect your warm showers.
<_<

Tell you what. You have no (*^**^ clue what I was thinking when I made that post. So just stop, right here, trying to tell me what I was thinking.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#1735 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-24, 10:19

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-March-23, 19:49, said:

Living on higher ground won't be a guarantee of safety. The people living in low areas are going to move higher no matter who owns the property there.

Yeah, sure. And the people who already live there are just going to sit by quietly while all these usurpers move in.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#1736 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 10:28

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-24, 10:17, said:

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-March-23, 19:24, said:

<_<

Tell you what. You have no (*^**^ clue what I was thinking when I made that post. So just stop, right here, trying to tell me what I was thinking.

Ed, lighten up. Didn't you notice the emoticon?

I was just trolling for laughs by misrepresenting your posts. You've gotta admit your reaction is pretty funny.
:D

Remember what yer momma told ya

#1737 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 10:34

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-March-24, 08:14, said:

No one denies global warming these days, the evidence is just too strong

Fine by me.

But this bothers me a bit. How many of the events listed would you describe as climate events? They pretty much all look like weather events to me, not climate events - though I notice the WME also uses the term climate events, not just you.

It is one thing to agree that global warming is happening. It is quite another to say that exceptional weather events are all a result of global warming. I don't regard myself as in any way a global warming sceptic, but I do find myself worrying about a number of doubtful propositions that seem to find their way either explicitly or more often implicitly into statements from people or organisations pushing an active approach to reducing man-made CO2 emissions.

#1738 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2014-March-24, 10:35

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-24, 10:19, said:

Yeah, sure. And the people who already live there are just going to sit by quietly while all these usurpers move in.

Not quite :blink: they will all die of old age before we get enough SLR to notice. The quoted study is about a small area that had "unusual" melting. Even if global temps rose 5C in the next decade and stayed there, Greenland would need centuries to shed the ice needed to raise sea level enough to cause a problem.

#1739 User is offline   Daniel1960 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 11:01

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2014-March-24, 08:51, said:

Every event listed in their extremes have occurred repeated throughtout history. The phillippines get hit but typhoons more frequently than any other country. Europe and the U.S. have experienced much colder winters in the past. Indian monsoons occur regularly, and were no worse than previous years. Chinese floods have been much worse in the past. Yes, tornadoes do hit Oklahoma, but at a reduced rate than in the past. It has snowed previosuly in the Middle East. Regarding the maximum sea ice, records only go back to 1979. You could go back to many years in the past and find unusual weather events. Weather is not climate!

#1740 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2014-March-24, 11:28

But we might have to get by the medieval sea levels first...

Posted Image

• 177 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook