BBO Discussion Forums: Climate change - BBO Discussion Forums

• 177 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Climate change a different take on what to do about it.

#1701 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-23, 09:12

When not ROFLMAO, things that make you reconsider...

"Yes, the Met Office is funded by Big Oil. And Big Coal. And Big Nuclear. And Big Renewables. Basically we do applied for research for a very wide range of customers who need advice on weather and climate science. The energy & mining multinationals make very big, long-term investments (multi-decadal) and require risk assessments on those timescales, which includes advice on the range of projected regional climate conditions at the locations of their assets. It's a growing source of funding for climate research."

Cheers

Prof Richard A Betts
Met Office Hadley Centre
University of Exeter

The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#1702 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2014-March-23, 09:40

Meanwhile, back at the "death spiral" ...

Posted Image

#1703 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-23, 09:45

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-March-22, 16:39, said:

As a conservative who has been in business all of my life, I'm sick and tired of left-wing alarmist arguments like these from people who have no confidence in the resilience of a free market. Just level the playing field and let the market work.

If you care to investigate, you'll find that nuclear energy requires neither sunshine nor wind, so you can keep typing even at night on a calm day. The idea that you can only accomplish something by giving tax breaks to entrenched corporations or by "government fiat" is simply alarmist foolishness.

I suggested the "government fiat" scenario because it seems to me a lot of people here think government intervention is either required or the best solution to the problem, not because I agree with the idea.

If the government imposes a "carbon tax" that hardly makes for a free market. I should think the first step would be to eliminate government subsidies, including tax breaks and local monopolies.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#1704 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-March-23, 10:30

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-23, 09:45, said:

If the government imposes a "carbon tax" that hardly makes for a free market. I should think the first step would be to eliminate government subsidies, including tax breaks and local monopolies.

Commons, we don't need no stinking commons!

Nor does anyone serious claim that we want a completely unregulated free market
Alderaan delenda est

#1705 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-March-23, 10:58

I suggested the "government fiat" scenario because it seems to me a lot of people here think government intervention is either required or the best solution to the problem, not because I agree with the idea.

Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but it appears to me that "free markets" are reactionary when a proactive approach is needed to head off future problems. Market react; people can think ahead.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#1706 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2014-March-23, 12:11

Unless they are being hornswaggled by the acolytes of alarmism with their ever more strident cries of doom and gloom with the need to expiate our transgressions and repent our sins in paying hommage to climastrology and its runes, offals errrr "projections" (awfuls? :o ) based on models that with each passing day are shown to be less and less reliable, obliging the agenda to push back the fateful day ever further into the future.

#1707 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-23, 13:43

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-March-23, 10:58, said:

Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but it appears to me that "free markets" are reactionary when a proactive approach is needed to head off future problems. Market react; people can think ahead.

You have it reversed

Free markets tend to be proactive, people tend to be reactionary.

The reason for this is free markets have much much more information than a limited set of people such as governments.
Free markets also tend to react quicker, for better or worse.

#1708 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2014-March-23, 14:01

If the government imposes a "carbon tax" that hardly makes for a free market.

Without a carbon tax, how would you go about including externalities in the price of carbon-based fuels to provide a level playing field for free market competition?
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#1709 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-23, 14:11

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-March-23, 14:01, said:

Without a carbon tax, how would you go about including externalities in the price of carbon-based fuels to provide a level playing field for free market competition?

You raise important points. Free markets are not always a level playing field for everyone involved. We should strive for equal opportunity, but expect to fall short in real life. Now to be fair a level playing field means more than equal opportunity to many.

We do need ways to enforce laws for clean air and clean water. Many argue for a carbon tax at least in theory but even many liberals and progressives don't seem to vote for it or run on it. OTOH even conservatives can and will vote for clean air and clean water bills.

#1710 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-23, 14:17

The most recent research on climate change suggests that it may even influence the colour of our clothes:

previously documented red-dress effect is moderated by current climate concerns

http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0088852
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#1711 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2014-March-23, 14:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-March-23, 14:17, said:

The most recent research on climate change suggests that it may even influence the colour of our clothes:

http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0088852

Miniskirts are another bonus of a warming planet...lol

#1712 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2014-March-23, 14:37

View Postmike777, on 2014-March-23, 14:11, said:

Many argue for a carbon tax at least in theory but even many liberals and progressives don't seem to vote for it or run on it. OTOH even conservatives can and will vote for clean air and clean water bills.

The carbon tax was proposed by conservatives and is generally supported by conservatives, as do I. I'm trying to find out what liberals and progressives propose instead. Blackshoe appears to be backing away from the "government fiat" idea (and rightfully so), but doesn't say how he'd account for carbon-fuel externalities to make the free market work to solve our problem.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#1713 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-23, 14:45

Germany's carbon emissions went up again, this time by 1.2% in 2013. The env. minister says Germany may miss its target of reducing carbon emissions by 40% in 2020 compared with 1990 levels. E16billion spent on renewable energy subsidies last year.

-----

U.S. Carbon Emissions: 2012 Levels At 20 Year Low
http://www.huffingto..._n_1792167.html

#1714 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2014-March-23, 15:54

View Postmike777, on 2014-March-23, 14:11, said:

You raise important points. Free markets are not always a level playing field for everyone involved. We should strive for equal opportunity, but expect to fall short in real life. Now to be fair a level playing field means more than equal opportunity to many.

We do need ways to enforce laws for clean air and clean water. Many argue for a carbon tax at least in theory but even many liberals and progressives don't seem to vote for it or run on it. OTOH even conservatives can and will vote for clean air and clean water bills.

That may be true in the case of acting today about a problem today - I do not see markets reacting to correct a future consequence of a problem that does not affect the market immediately.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#1715 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-23, 16:28

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-March-23, 15:54, said:

That may be true in the case of acting today about a problem today - I do not see markets reacting to correct a future consequence of a problem that does not affect the market immediately.

ok but I think this is a deep misunderstanding of how markets work.

venture capital is just one example but there are thousands over the years

markets develop products that we..you and me never knew we wanted...ESPN(24 hour sports) comes to mind. CNN(24 hour news).
ONe reason why focus groups are often worthless, people, customers are often much more focused on what they want immediately.

Fraking was in development for decades.

If nothing else see how the internet is developed. It has many many more failures compared to wins.

BBO was developed by Fred over many years and steps.

#1716 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2014-March-23, 17:29

View Postmike777, on 2014-March-23, 16:28, said:

ok but I think this is a deep misunderstanding of how markets work.

venture capital is just one example but there are thousands over the years

markets develop products that we..you and me never knew we wanted...ESPN(24 hour sports) comes to mind. CNN(24 hour news).
ONe reason why focus groups are often worthless, people, customers are often much more focused on what they want immediately.

Fraking was in development for decades.

If nothing else see how the internet is developed. It has many many more failures compared to wins.

BBO was developed by Fred over many years and steps.

Sorry, but I do not buy this argument. We had sports - ESPN simply expanded coverage. We had news - CNN expanded coverage.

Until markets see an imminent threat, there will be no market-driven response to climate change. That is why the libertarian method will not work. Passed Out's conservative idea is much better, to start cutting back and encourage market-based solutions, but I am certain that P.O. realizes government must goad the market to act if action is to be taken now.

#1717 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-23, 17:32

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-March-23, 17:29, said:

Sorry, but I do not buy this argument. We had sports - ESPN simply expanded coverage. We had news - CNN expanded coverage.

Until markets see an imminent threat, there will be no market-driven response to climate change. That is why the libertarian method will not work. Passed Out's conservative idea is much better, to start cutting back and encourage market-based solutions, but I am certain that P.O. realizes government must goad the market to act if action is to be taken now.

Winston:

Ok I understand your point. If true you make a strong argument.

I would argue that there is a market driven response:

U.S. Carbon Emissions: 2012 Levels At 20 Year Low
http://www.huffingto..._n_1792167.html

But again if your main thesis is correct you make a powerful argument.

"Until markets see an imminent threat, there will be no market-driven response to climate change. That is why the libertarian method will not work. Passed Out's conservative idea is much better, to start cutting back and encourage market-based solutions, but I am certain that P.O. realizes government must goad the market to act if action is to be taken now."

#1718 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-23, 18:33

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-March-23, 14:37, said:

Blackshoe appears to be backing away from the "government fiat" idea (and rightfully so), but doesn't say how he'd account for carbon-fuel externalities to make the free market work to solve our problem.

I fail to see how I can "back away" from something I never seriously proposed in the first place - but then I gather my sarcasm was lost on at least one reader.

You don't "make" the free market work, you let it work.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#1719 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-23, 18:42

yes, often, not always the free market is not about saving the human race.

Often, not always, it is about making money, given risk factors, time factors, etc.

I note even rich people or those hoping to become rich hate water and air pollution. Even rich people can hate Nazis and genocide

If I can save the world and make money so much the better.

Granted if the money was gifted to me...I am not worried about making money but making sure the world knows I am its savior.

But that is an argument for gift taxes and closing loopholes.

#1720 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-March-23, 18:50

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-23, 18:33, said:

I fail to see how I can "back away" from something I never seriously proposed in the first place - but then I gather my sarcasm was lost on at least one reader.

You don't "make" the free market work, you let it work.

Ignorant as ever...

How well does the "free market" work without property rights?
And how do those property rights get protected without a government?
Alderaan delenda est

• 177 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook