• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Analysis Programmes?

#1 User is offline   doclands 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-October-17, 01:28

Hi guys
Are there any analysis programmes out there? I know that Deep Finnesse can tell me what can be made double dummy and how for a given hand but that is as far as I get. The more involved the better.

If you do know of any programmes, or other things that Deep Finnesse does, what sort of things do they do?

A few posts on this forum have mentioned 'running an analysis' - what was meant by this?

Many thanks

doclands

#2 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-17, 03:56

doclands, on Oct 17 2010, 07:28 AM, said:

A few posts on this forum have mentioned 'running an analysis' - what was meant by this?

DD analysis really proves little on its own - merely the winning line on a single specific hand. What people often mean by 'running an analysis' is to take at least 100 hands, randomly dealt, but fulfilling the requirements of a specific auction, maybe with one hand known - or whatever seems appropriate to the problem, subject the batch to DD analysis and look at the % that made X tricks and so on.

Sometimes it throws some useful light on a problem - sometimes people just argue about what was reasonable 'requirements of a specific auction' - or just don't want to change their pet methods and so on.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2010-October-17, 06:43

NickRW, on Oct 17 2010, 12:56 PM, said:

Sometimes it throws some useful light on a problem - sometimes people just argue about what was reasonable 'requirements of a specific auction' - or just don't want to change their pet methods and so on.

Nick

Nick just (obliquely) raised a very point:

The very act of writing code to perform an analysis can be more useful than the results.

Writing code forces one to explicit document a set of assumptions. Moreover, this code provides a specific description that can be shared with others and critiqued.

I know that there is a lot of debate on the forums about the validity of single dummy and double dummy analysis. However, I think there would be more widespread agreement that the exercise itself can have some value.
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-17, 20:35

Related question: are there are any programs to A ) convert hand records like these into e.g. BBO files or something; B ) do a double dummy analysis on them to find all the "mistakes" that both declarer and the defence make?

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-17, 20:41

Double Dummy Solver does B (any mistakes show up in red, you can also play on a card by card basis), I'm not sure what does A, would need some LIN converter.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-17, 21:14

lmilne, on Oct 18 2010, 03:35 PM, said:

Related question: are there are any programs to A ) convert hand records like these into e.g. BBO files or something; B ) do a double dummy analysis on them to find all the "mistakes" that both declarer and the defence make?

If they published the dealmaster pro file that produced the hand record then you could easily do a convert.

It is much harder from the pdf.

There is no reason why they cannot provide a suitable file from dealmaster pro - pbn or even lin file.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-17, 22:32

Cascade, on Oct 18 2010, 08:44 AM, said:

lmilne, on Oct 18 2010, 03:35 PM, said:

Related question:  are there are any programs to A ) convert hand records like these into e.g. BBO files or something; B ) do a double dummy analysis on them to find all the "mistakes" that both declarer and the defence make?

If they published the dealmaster pro file that produced the hand record then you could easily do a convert.

It is much harder from the pdf.

There is no reason why they cannot provide a suitable file from dealmaster pro - pbn or even lin file.

Dealmaster Pro provides LIN outputs. Version 5.2 onwards.
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#8 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-17, 22:33

Yes I didn't mean Dealmaster pro as they rather the tournament organizers.

Liam might need some good luck with that :)
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#9 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-18, 01:13

At least the win client for BBO, allowes you to open an PBN file, so any
software that produces a file in PBN format will work with BBO.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-October-18, 01:21

Jack lets you bid and play a hand and afterwards you can ask "professor Jack" to analyze the bidding and play. This is probably something you're looking for.

You can also let Jack bid and play the entire hand for you to see what he does.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   doclands 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-October-20, 15:24

The BBO client not only reads in the pbn file but it also creates an lin file with all of the hands in it as soon as you open up the pbn file! I use this all the time to convert pbn files produced by my own hand generation programmes so that I can use them on BBO for partnership bidding practice. It is stored next to your original pbn file, with the same name but the lin extension.

#12 User is offline   Tcyk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-16, 23:22

View Postdoclands, on 2010-October-20, 15:24, said:

The BBO client not only reads in the pbn file but it also creates an lin file with all of the hands in it as soon as you open up the pbn file! I use this all the time to convert pbn files produced by my own hand generation programmes so that I can use them on BBO for partnership bidding practice. It is stored next to your original pbn file, with the same name but the lin extens+ion.

I hate it doing this automatically. I have to go back and delete the LIN file. Lin file will always have the limitation of how many times a board can be played, like 16 is a magic number or has this been changed?

Dur to a computer crash, I have lost my favorite program and I forget the name to download it again. It is shareware. I liked the program so well that I actually paid for it. The name under the icon begins with 'C'. It loads and displays PBN files. It does double dummy analysis. You can move cards around in a what if scenario. You can bid the hands and add notes. It deals random and constrained hands. It will save the hands in PBN, PDF, and HTML formats. I am pretty sure I learned about the program via email. Backup, backup, backup. Anyway, I would sure appreciate it if someone could point me to obtaining another copy of the file. I love BBO and there software but I sometimes have a little different application. To tell the truth, my own programs create PBN files and I don't want to go back and rewrite them to create LIN files.

#13 User is offline   pdmunro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-19, 22:42

View PostTcyk, on 2010-November-16, 23:22, said:

Dur to a computer crash, I have lost my favorite program and I forget the name to download it again. It is shareware. I liked the program so well that I actually paid for it. The name under the icon begins with 'C'. It loads and displays PBN files. It does double dummy analysis. You can move cards around in a what if scenario. You can bid the hands and add notes. It deals random and constrained hands. It will save the hands in PBN, PDF, and HTML formats. I am pretty sure I learned about the program via email. Backup, backup, backup. Anyway, I would sure appreciate it if someone could point me to obtaining another copy of the file.

Was it http://bridgecomposer.com/ ? Do I win a prize?
Peter . . . . AKQ . . . . K = 3 points = 1 trick
"Of course wishes everybody to win and play as good as possible, but it is a hobby and a game, not war." 42 (BBO Forums)
"If a man speaks in the forest and there are no women around to hear is he still wrong?" anon
"Politics: an inadequate substitute for bridge." John Maynard Keynes
"This is how Europe works, it dithers, it delays, it makes cowardly small steps towards the truth and at some point that which it has admonished as impossible it embraces as inevitable." Athens University economist Yanis Varoufakis
"Krypt3ia @ Craig, dude, don't even get me started on you. You have posted so far two articles that I and others have found patently clueless. So please, step away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself." Comment on infosecisland.com
"Doing is the real hard part" Emma Coats (formerly from Pixar)
"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde
"Assessment, far more than religion, has become the opiate of the people" Patricia Broadfoot, Uni of Gloucestershire, UK

#14 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-20, 01:52

UK waste time\

If UK say something....if not...complete waste of time and play in usa.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users