• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

two-suiter over spades

#1 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-01, 06:50

Scoring: IMP

I don't have much experience with these hands, so I was hoping for some feedback on this one.

(Pass)-Pass-(1)-2-(3)-Pass-(4)-?

Not sure what people will think of my 2 bid with 6 hearts. FWIW, it showed a constructive hand.

#2 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-01, 08:29

A 2-suited bid is possible, but I play that as either weak or strong, and this is in between. For me it is an inital 2 followed by if I can, but not at the 5 level.

On the given sequence, pass. There may be a good heart sacrifice or game, but you are too late to find it. Double is too risky, as your shortage in spades implies you may not get 2 tricks in hearts.

#3 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-01, 19:00

Oh yeah, that was my other question, does it make any difference if your first bid was 2 instead of 2? I'm assuming noone will be trying anything more kooky than 2 or 2.

#4 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 19:22

I like 2 then 5.

I don't like to have a 6th major suit card for a Michaels type bid if it can be avoided. The hand is strong and it is void in their suit, I would not sell out to 4 no matter whether the first bid was 2 or 2 (or 4 :)).
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2010-October-01, 20:07

2S is surely ok, you can used a further 4Nt bid to suggest wich of your suit is better.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 21:01

2 then 4NT, both look automatic. I don't understand the objection to 2 initially, there's no problem showing six hearts later by bidding NT over spades.

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 03:52

2 then double to show you have a very strong hand.

2-4NT is a hand with less defensive potential something like, switch AK to KQJ and then 4NT it is. But this hand can play 4X all day.

The difference between 2-4NT and 2-5 I just don't know people will tell you they have great methods where they both show different things, but the real thing is, most partnerships don't have any agreement.

To formage: This is not an intermediate 2 suiter, its a 4 loser hand! how stronger should you be for a strong 2 suiter?

If you pick to start with 2 then obviously you bid 5.

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 06:14

Fluffy, on Oct 2 2010, 10:52 AM, said:

To fromage: This is not an intermediate 2 suiter, its a 4 loser hand! how stronger should you be for a strong 2 suiter?
If you pick to start with 2 then obviously you bid 5.

You may be right, it's close. But I tend to bid freely at the lower levels and not so at these heights. I'm not convinced 4 is going off, but considering it's red against green, -500 by bidding clubs does not sound good to me.

#9 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 07:38

On this matter of 2 suiters weak or strong - some people think that because "intermediate" (when applied to jump overcalls) means typically about 11-15, then "weak or strong" means not 11-15. Which isn't, imo, the best interpretation - you don't get many 16hcp two suiters!
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2010-October-02, 08:18

Seems like an easy 4NT to me...

By the way, you evaluate 2-suiters in losers, not hcp.

7,5+ losers: no bid
6-7 losers: weak
5,5-4,5 losers: intermediate
4-3 losers: strong
2,5-: insane

where 1 loser is lack of AKQ in a main suit or lack of AK in a side suit and 0,5 losers really depends on your evaluation (intermediate cards, tenaces, etc).

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 10:34

NickRW, on Oct 2 2010, 01:38 PM, said:

On this matter of 2 suiters weak or strong - some people think that because "intermediate" (when applied to jump overcalls) means typically about 11-15, then "weak or strong" means not 11-15. Which isn't, imo, the best interpretation - you don't get many 16hcp two suiters!

'Strong' for me means that you want/need to make another move over a minimum response. That may well come down to losers as whereagles suggests athough I cannot say that I think in those terms at the table. If you take 16+ as a base and then reduce downward for good honour structures and extra shape then I daresay it is not far off 'normal' practise.

With this hand I would bid 2H followed by 5C as I have no faith that my 4NT would be interpreted as 6M-5m by a random partner. Some play 4NT here as a strong offensive hand (with double as a strong defensive hand) without any specification about extra shape.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users