• Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-01, 19:57

Scoring: IMP

1-1
2-2*
2-3
4-4
4-P

1 was a 2+ suit and limited to 15, 2 was 4SF, and 3 should show slam interest.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-01, 20:21

Did you want an auction?

1D = 10-17, 4+ diamonds, unbal
1H = 10+ relay
1S = 10-13, 0-3 spades unless 4 hearts
1N = GF relay
2C = 4-5 clubs
2D = relay
2N = 4 diamonds, 5 clubs
3C = relay
4D = 3=1=4=5, 5 A/K controls
6S

or were you looking for blame to be apportioned? Assuming 3S and 4H show serious slam interest then North has enough to commit to the 5 level.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2010-October-01, 20:31

What kind of hands bid 2, or more so is it ever bid with heart stopper and without 5 spades without slam interest. If not, I think 4 splinter would be pretty good here. Without it north just has to do bit more later, but I admit it's hard to go on.

#4 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 21:10

Does 1 - 1 - 2 tend to show an unbalanced hand?

The earlier sequence may not be optimal, but the worst bid has to be the final 4. Partner made slam try in spades and showed A, North is looking at AK and A in the minors with heart shortness. If I have to choose only ONE bid after which our partnership is barred from further bidding, I would say 6 but worry about missing grand.

#5 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 21:31

South's fault. North cooperated with nothing in trumps and south knows it, of course he has his first and longest suit controlled. What more is north supposed to do with xxx of trumps and a minimum?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#6 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 22:34

jdonn, on Oct 1 2010, 10:31 PM, said:

South's fault. North cooperated with nothing in trumps and south knows it, of course he has his first and longest suit controlled. What more is north supposed to do with xxx of trumps and a minimum?

North is looking at controls in both minors, and South has made a slam try. How can South not have good spade suit?

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-October-01, 23:19

bucky, on Oct 1 2010, 11:34 PM, said:

jdonn, on Oct 1 2010, 10:31 PM, said:

North is looking at controls in both minors, and South has made a slam try. How can South not have good spade suit?

Easily? Besides what is "good", AQxxx would be a terrible slam. It's not like he needs AKQJxx.

#8 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 23:47

[quote name='jdonn' date='Oct 2 2010, 12:19 AM'] North is looking at controls in both minors, and South has made a slam try. How can South not have good spade suit? [/QUOTE]
Easily? Besides what is "good", AQxxx would be a terrible slam. It's not like he needs AKQJxx. [/quote]
Wow, what does South have? AQxxx in spades and AKQJ in hearts? Note that North already showed minimum hand (by bidding 2[sp] only) and South still made slam try. I don't see how he can do that without excellent trumps. AQxxxx will be minimum, and if he only has that, we shouldn't have any other losers. I didn't say North must insist on slam, but only 4[sp] is too timid.

#9 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-October-02, 00:05

KJxxx AKx Qx KQx

#10 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 00:07

jdonn, on Oct 2 2010, 01:05 AM, said:

KJxxx AKx Qx KQx

Don't you prefer 2NT instead of 3?

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2010-October-02, 04:01

lol, south is unlimited and north denies a cuebid with AK, and this is a real question?

#12 User is offline   petterb 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 06:03

jdonn, on Oct 2 2010, 01:05 AM, said:

KJxxx AKx Qx KQx

You bid 3 with that hand when North could have xx/xx/AKxx/Axxxx?

#13 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 07:29

IMO, if 2 followed by 3 is slam interest, then AK is a good reason not to regard the hand as simply a min and attempt to sign off with 4 - it is a slam suitable min.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2010-October-02, 08:24

After 3 opener has a monster. Just bid 4NT (not 4) and follow-up with some grand slam try if all keys are there. Responder will reject the GST but at least the small slam will be reached.

Really, that 4 is a "pass the bucket" bid, typical of people who are unaware of their resposibilities or are scared of making decisions. And 4 even more so....

#15 User is offline   MFA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 09:21

Maybe it's a style question, but here goes:

North's 2 is almost always a doubleton for me. So 3 can't be a bad 5card suit. I would have raised 1 to 2 in our usual precision system, even though 2 shows 5 for us.

In this sequence, north's 4 would be unthinkable for us. AK, A, singleton and three trumps. We would have bid 3 forcing over 2 as south though to show a very strong suit that doesn't really need support.

So in context I disagree with 2, 2 and 4 and would blame north for the bad result.
Michael Askgaard

#16 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-October-02, 09:36

Of course it all depends on style but for most people 2 shows 3. I know this is not true on the forums, nor for me, although in many cases that is because we would be raising directly on north's hand. So I'm trying to answer based on the style I believe most people use.

The one thing I think is ridiculous is to say south bids 4 then passes because he thinks north lacks diamond control. It looks like that's what south did which is why I blame him. I consider cuebidding cooperative. North bids 4 not only because he has a club control but because his hand is useful for slam. But I would never go above game holding a complete minimum and bad trumps. To me going higher because your hand is useful for slam is simply repeating the message of 4, and going higher because you have diamonds controlled is misplaced priorities.

Even if you think south showed 6 spades there is no reason they have to be particularly good. But if north has cooperated for me and I have south's hand I'm simply not stopping.

#17 User is offline   marcD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 10:07

The answer probably depends on what 2 means; for me , it shows a mimnimum hand with 3S. Therefore , North has boxed his hand and has no business declining to cue bid diamonds / show diamond control. the key question is then what to do over 4. BW may be the practical bid although xxx in trumps is scary , 5 might in theory be better but could confuse the issue. That's said I would have bid 3NT over 3S to show bad trumps but do not know whether this is mainstream practice globally.

#18 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 10:37

For extra info for those asking:

We do not raise on 3 cards here when we have a 2 rebid, which promises at least 4 cards in each minor (and almost always 5-4 either way). The only time we would raise on 3 is if opener held something like a min 3451 or some such where 2, 2 and 1NT all seem wrong.

As a result, the 2 bid by opener was mandatory to show 3 card support and 3 would only promise a 5 card suit, but would definitely show slam interest since there was no jump to 4.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2010-October-02, 10:41

marcD, on Oct 2 2010, 04:07 PM, said:

That's said I would have bid 3NT over 3S to show bad trumps but do not know whether this is mainstream practice globally.

'Mainstream' practise is probably to play 3NT as Serious. Then 4C is simply a curtesy cue and 4H shows serious slam interest. It seems likely that the OP plays 3NT as natural or it would have been included in the discussion - it is a highly relevant agreement here.
(-: Zel :-)

#20 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 11:51

I saw north open 1D and rebid 2C and couldn't take it any more. I'm giving north full blame for this.

Maybe south bid horribly later, I'm afraid I'll never find out.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users