• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge Novels

#1 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-July-29, 11:09

Just bought a new bridge novel from Amazon, "The Cardturner", by Louis Sachar. It is about a teenage boy who has to accompany his blind grandfather to bridge tournaments and gets caught up in the game. I read about it in today's Daily Bulletin at the NABC.
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-July-29, 15:04

Sounds really exciting, can't wait for the movie!

#3 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2010-July-29, 16:04

JLOGIC, on Jul 29 2010, 11:04 PM, said:

Expect an XXX rating.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2010-July-29, 17:47

OleBerg, on Jul 29 2010, 11:04 PM, said:

Expect an XXX rating.

X (red card) I would understand. XX (purple card) I would understand. But XXX??
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-29, 20:19

Well, this is a very popular author for teens, maybe a few will actually look at the game.
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#6 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-July-29, 21:59

JLOGIC, on Jul 29 2010, 05:04 PM, said:

What do you propose?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-July-30, 10:21

If we get Zach Effron to play the boy, that could attract more young people to the game.

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2010-July-30, 11:38

JoAnneM, on Jul 30 2010, 05:19 AM, said:

Well, this is a very popular author for teens, maybe a few will actually look at the game.

I was initially skeptical (like Jason) when I saw the description; however, the author in question wrote a book called "Holes". I though Holes was stellar (in a very weird sort of way) which encouraged me to look at a few reviews...

I'm actually vaguely hopeful about this. (I might even get a copy for my nephew)

With his latest novel, the Newbery-winning author of Holes (1998) fulfills a need the world probably didn't even know it had: the great teen bridge novel. Alton Richard's great-uncle Lester Trapp is rich and ailing, a combo that leads Alton's parents to hatch a plan for the teen to cozy up to the old man and carve out a chunk of inheritance. Though blind, Trapp is a brilliant, world-class bridge player and needs someone to read him his cards and make his plays. Enter Alton, who wouldn't begin to know how to decipher questions like “One banana, pass, pass, two no-trump. Is that unusual?” But he withstands the constant barbs from his irascible uncle and grows more intrigued by the game (in no small part due to the cute, kind-of-crazy girl who also plays). Sachar liberally doles out detailed commentary on the basics and then nuances of the game, and in a nod to the famously dull Moby-Dick chapter on the minutiae of whaling, a little whale image appears when the bridge talk is about to get deep so readers can skip right ahead to a pithy wrap-up. But don't be fooled: it is astonishing how Sachar can make blow-by-blow accounts of bridge not only interesting but exciting, treating each play like a clue to unravel the riddle of each hand. An obvious windfall for smart and puzzle-minded teens, this is a great story to boot, with genuine characters (save the scheming parents) and real relationships, balanced by casual, confident storytelling. Grades 9-12. --Ian Chipman

Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-30, 15:42

I have a 14 year-old daughter who has read and enjoyed Sachar books (actually 2-3 years ago). I knew Sachar played bridge, but until reading the Bulletins from New Orleans, I didn't know that he had written a bridge novel. Interesting to hear that it is both geared towards teens and has bridge content rather than just being in a bridge setting. I'm curious, but might wait until there is a copy at the library.

#10 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2010-July-30, 15:50

Sounds interesting. Will check it out.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#11 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-30, 18:09

Publishers Weekly

"I realize that reading about a bridge game isn't exactly thrilling," 17-year-old narrator Alton tells readers early on. Luckily, this funny and thoughtful novel is as much about building bridges-between generations and maybe even between life and death-as it is about playing cards. Alton gets roped into serving as a card turner for his great-uncle, Lester Trapp, a bridge whiz who recently lost his eyesight (Alton's job is to read Trapp's cards for him). Though Alton barely knows Trapp, his opportunistic mother won't miss a chance for Alton to get in good with his "favorite uncle," who's wealthy and in poor health. To Alton's surprise, he becomes enamored of the game and begins to bond with his crusty uncle-who shares insight into synchronicity and the connection between reality and perception. With dry, understated humor, Alton makes the intricacies of bridge accessible, while his relationships with and observations about family members and friends (including an ex-girlfriend, a manipulative best friend, and especially Trapp's former card turner) form a portrait of a reflective teenager whose life is infinitely enriched by connections he never expected to make. Ages 12-up. (May) Copyright 2010 Reed Business Information.
School Library Journal

Gr 8 Up-Alton Richards is resigned to spending a slow summer on his own after his girlfriend leaves him for his best friend and he finds himself with no money and no job. Unfortunately, his mother insists that he become his blind great-uncle's chauffeur and cardturner at local bridge tournaments. Though the 17-year-old has only met Lester Trapp on a few occasions, his mother hopes that this connection will inspire the wealthy old man to write the family into his will. Alton reluctantly agrees, even though he knows nothing about bridge and has no interest in learning the game. He meets Toni Castaneda at the tournaments and soon discovers that he's not the only long-lost relative intent on winning over Trapp and his inheritance. What transpires is an intriguing glimpse into a crazy family full of secrets and unusual quirks. The characters are well limned, and the narrative is laced with Sachar's trademark wry humor. Most teens have very little knowledge about bridge, a fact that Alton acknowledges several times throughout the novel. At times, the story line becomes thick with technical game descriptions, though he does offer an option to skip these sections by providing a symbol to indicate more in-depth card instructions. This well-written novel contains a rewarding intergenerational friendship and a sweetly appealing romance in the making. Nonetheless it may require an additional nudge to hook readers. It's a nudge worth giving for motivated teens and those who enjoy Sachar's novels.-Stephanie Malosh, Donoghue Elementary School, Chicago, IL Copyright 2010 Reed Business Information.
Booklist

*Starred Review* With his latest novel, the Newbery-winning author of Holes (1998) fulfills a need the world probably didn't even know it had: the great teen bridge novel. Alton Richard's great-uncle Lester Trapp is rich and ailing, a combo that leads Alton's parents to hatch a plan for the teen to cozy up to the old man and carve out a chunk of inheritance. Though blind, Trapp is a brilliant, world-class bridge player and needs someone to read him his cards and make his plays. Enter Alton, who wouldn't begin to know how to decipher questions like One banana, pass, pass, two no-trump. Is that unusual? But he withstands the constant barbs from his irascible uncle and grows more intrigued by the game (in no small part due to the cute, kind-of-crazy girl who also plays). Sachar liberally doles out detailed commentary on the basics and then nuances of the game, and in a nod to the famously dull Moby-Dick chapter on the minutiae of whaling, a little whale image appears when the bridge talk is about to get deep so readers can skip right ahead to a pithy wrap-up. But don't be fooled: it is astonishing how Sachar can make blow-by-blow accounts of bridge not only interesting but exciting, treating each play like a clue to unravel the riddle of each hand. An obvious windfall for smart and puzzle-minded teens, this is a great story to boot, with genuine characters (save the scheming parents) and real relationships, balanced by casual, confident storytelling.--Chipman, Ian Copyright 2010 Booklist

#12 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2010-July-30, 20:41

I read this book a while ago. It is ok. I dont think most bbo forum members would enjoy it. Your kids who want to know what bridge is all about..might....

think of it as a love story to the game of bridge written for kids who have no idea what bridge is.

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-July-30, 20:52

JoAnneM, on Jul 30 2010, 09:19 AM, said:

Yes it does sound interesting JoAnne. It is amazing how some people scoff at anything, isn't it?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-July-30, 21:51

mike777, on Jul 31 2010, 02:41 AM, said:

I read this book a while ago. It is ok. I dont think most bbo forum members would enjoy it. Your kids who want to know what bridge is all about..might....

think of it as a love story to the game of bridge written for kids who have no idea what bridge is.

Ha. I have kids that play - but a wife that doesn't - and who does read quite a lot of teen(ish) sorts of novels. Maybe I can't get her to get it for me for a present - I bet she'll read it - and, in any case, my interest is vaguely piqued - I normally never read novels.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2010-July-31, 01:20

The_Hog, on Jul 30 2010, 09:52 PM, said:

JoAnneM, on Jul 30 2010, 09:19 AM, said:

Yes it does sound interesting JoAnne. It is amazing how some people scoff at anything, isn't it?

Lol, really strange that you've gone from bashing me directly to thinly-veiled passive-aggression. I preferred it when you at least said it how it was!

Hope this book brings people into bridge, but sounds really boring. Sorry if you're annoyed by that thought, maybe you're biased!

It is really amazing how some people go through life so ignorant and stupid, I'm glad I'm not that way. I guess the ignorance saves those people from being sad about such a fact though. Not saying it's about anyone in this thread though!

#16 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2010-August-30, 06:37

hrothgar, on Jul 30 2010, 08:38 PM, said:

I was initially skeptical (like Jason) when I saw the description; however, the author in question wrote a book called "Holes". I though Holes was stellar (in a very weird sort of way) which encouraged me to look at a few reviews...

I'm actually vaguely hopeful about this. (I might even get a copy for my nephew)

FWIW, The Cardturner is currently ranked as the #18 Amazon Bestseller in the Books – Teens – School & Sports – Fiction category.

It was ranked as high as #6 earlier.
Alderaan delenda est

#17 User is offline   qwery_hi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-30, 07:35

barmar, on Jul 30 2010, 08:21 AM, said:

If we get Zach Effron to play the boy, that could attract more young people to the game.

meh. I think Justin Bieber should play the part
Alle Menschen werden bruder.

Where were you while we were getting high?

#18 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-August-30, 08:29

qwery_hi, on Aug 30 2010, 08:35 AM, said:

barmar, on Jul 30 2010, 08:21 AM, said:

meh. I think Justin Bieber should play the part

Shia LaBeouf played the protagonist in "Holes".

His career hasn't exactly stalled since that project :angry:
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#19 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-30, 09:46

1eyedjack, on Jul 29 2010, 07:47 PM, said:

Expect an XXX rating.

XXX is when you see dummy and know that you are screwed.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#20 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2010-August-30, 10:53

bid_em_up, on Aug 30 2010, 04:46 PM, said:

1eyedjack, on Jul 29 2010, 07:47 PM, said:

Expect an XXX rating.

XXX is when you see dummy and know that you are screwed.

I thought it might have been a reference to the pictures on the fronts of the cards, acquired from some joint in a naval dockyard.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users