• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge Novels

#21 User is offline   pdmunro 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-15, 23:10

It's a good read. I'm half-way through. Plenty of wry humor. I bought if for a nephew, but he'll just have to wait.
Peter . . . . AKQ . . . . K = 3 points = 1 trick
"Of course wishes everybody to win and play as good as possible, but it is a hobby and a game, not war." 42 (BBO Forums)
"If a man speaks in the forest and there are no women around to hear is he still wrong?" anon
"Politics: an inadequate substitute for bridge." John Maynard Keynes
"This is how Europe works, it dithers, it delays, it makes cowardly small steps towards the truth and at some point that which it has admonished as impossible it embraces as inevitable." Athens University economist Yanis Varoufakis
"Krypt3ia @ Craig, dude, don't even get me started on you. You have posted so far two articles that I and others have found patently clueless. So please, step away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself." Comment on infosecisland.com
"Doing is the real hard part" Emma Coats (formerly from Pixar)
"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde
"Assessment, far more than religion, has become the opiate of the people" Patricia Broadfoot, Uni of Gloucestershire, UK

#22 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-16, 17:06

Well, I've read it now. I thought it was a decent read and that Sachar is a good author. As a bridge player I wanted to either a) get more bridge in it or b] get most of the bridge out of it and concentrate on the story. But bridge players are, I think, not who Sachar was aiming at. I think it might inspire some folks who could be interested in the game but haven't been yet - which is probably what Sachar actually wants.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#23 User is offline   Ethel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-October-23, 12:44

I am well over my teen years and enjoyed this book very much. I have recommended it as a gift for someone over 85. There is always something you can get from a well written novel.

#24 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2010-October-23, 13:48

Here is where the suspension of disbelief aspect gets strained:

... grows more intrigued by the game (in no small part due to the cute, kind-of-crazy girl who also plays)

The shortage of cute young ladies playing the game is why all the boys are staying home playing video games instead of coming to the club.

#25 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-23, 15:43

View PostSiegmund, on 2010-October-23, 13:48, said:

The shortage of cute young ladies playing the game is why all the boys are staying home playing video games instead of coming to the club.

I've definitely seen one attractive young lady playing bridge - er - in the last 3 years.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#26 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2010-October-23, 16:26

View PostNickRW, on 2010-October-23, 15:43, said:

I've definitely seen one attractive young lady playing bridge - er - in the last 3 years.

There are a handful, which is more than I would expect given the total number of young ladies playing bridge period.

Also there are some cute caddies here and there; however, it's not always clear whether they are college-aged or :gulp: in the "strong NT" range.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users