Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rosenblum qualifying

#1 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-05, 04:28

I've just been reading bulletin #4 which has the draw for the Rosenblum qualifying and it seems quite odd that with a field of 145 teams they have split them up into 15 pools of 9 and one pool of 10. On the face of it, this generates byes for 135 teams in what already appears to be an unbelievably light playing schedule of just 48 boards per day (assuming 16-board matches based on the session length of 140 minutes).

Obviously 145 is a difficult number to deal with to reduce the field to 64 teams, but surely something better could've been worked out to not give byes to so many teams. Unless, of course, the 9-team pools are going to have triangles or run successive American Whilst movements, but that sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I wonder what movement they are going to use in the ladies event to spend three days reducing a field of 31 teams to 32!

Also, are the session times in the bulletin correct? The first session is 110 minutes (10:30-12:20) but the second and third sessions are 140 minutes.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-05, 07:00

mrdct, on Oct 5 2010, 11:28 AM, said:

I've just been reading bulletin #4 which has the draw for the Rosenblum qualifying and it seems quite odd that with a field of 145 teams they have split them up into 15 pools of 9 and one pool of 10. On the face of it, this generates byes for 135 teams in what already appears to be an unbelievably light playing schedule of just 48 boards per day (assuming 16-board matches based on the session length of 140 minutes).

Obviously 145 is a difficult number to deal with to reduce the field to 64 teams, but surely something better could've been worked out to not give byes to so many teams. Unless, of course, the 9-team pools are going to have triangles or run successive American Whilst movements, but that sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I wonder what movement they are going to use in the ladies event to spend three days reducing a field of 31 teams to 32!

Also, are the session times in the bulletin correct? The first session is 110 minutes (10:30-12:20) but the second and third sessions are 140 minutes.

It is my presumption that the bulletin scribe has failed to add 2:20 to 10:30 correctly .. or was originally told that it was a 10am start.

I'm certainly happier to be in the group of ten!
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   Tomi2 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-05, 07:13

easy solution would be: let the 9 teams of group a play against the 9 teams of group b... c vs. d etc.
every team plays 9 matches against the same opps in their group and 4 advance to KO

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users