• You cannot reply to this topic

Strange Ethics Problem

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-October-01, 17:50

I had this weird ethics problem arise. Partner opened 1 in a field that he knew well against opponents he knew well, but I knew no one at the table except partner, of course. My RHO passed. I responded 1.

LHO now pops in with 2, and partner bids 3.

It seemed to me that 2 should be natural, but a lot of people play this as Michaels. Looking at my hand, I guessed Michaels. But, no one asked any questions. This became troubling.

If I asked, I would have to assume, it seems, that partner already knew the answer and acted upon that knowledge. However, by asking, I would be advertising (possibly) that my spades were very good (making the normal meaning suspect). So, I assumed that which seemed obvious (Michaels) and bid accordingly, without asking questions.

As it turned out, humorously, my partner did already know their agreement -- natural. However, LHO had forgotten their agreement and bid 2 intended as Michaels.

I had assumed that 3 was a power raise of spades; partner meant it as hearts. I cuebid 4 as a courtesy cue (and admittedly as a hedge), and partner bid 4 (which I took as a cue). I bid 4 as a signoff, and partner bid 5. I decided that this was a cue, but I bid 5 as Last Train (secretly hoping that partner had 5/6 if I was wrong, and some serious playing skill).

5 scored poorly.

I think I did right, ethically?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 18:13

I think you're allowed to ask. I'm not crazy about 5 in an auction you have good reason to suspect has gone off the rails.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#3 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 19:59

My guess would have been that a natural 2 overcall, though "standard", would have to be alerted. But, the ACBL alert chart seems to indicate that an alert is required only when a "direct cue-bid of natural opening bid played as natural".

It seems to me that if natural and michaels are both possible, the meaning of your partner's bids depends upon the meaning of their call, and the lack of an alert does not indicate one way or the other, you ought to be free to ask. So, I think you went out of your way to disadvantage yourself.

#4 User is online   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-October-01, 22:44

The Laws say you're not allowed to USE UI. There's no law against transmitting UI via your questions, although it's obviously better to avoid putting him in that position if you don't need to. So unless the only reason you're asking the question is for partner's benefit, there's no ethical problem.

#5 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 22:45

Is an artificial 2 bid alertable in your jurisduction?

In any case, I'm going to ask what 2 at my turn to call as I can't really work out what 3 means unless I know what 2 means.

I think asking about 2 in an auction like this gives away minimal information as it's just bridge - you can't possibly know what to do over 3 unless you know what 2 means.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#6 User is offline   MFA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 09:33

I can't figure out if you are being over-ethical or masochistic, but please just ask what 2 is next time. <_<
Michael Askgaard

#7 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 11:54

kenrexford, on Oct 1 2010, 06:50 PM, said:

I think I did right, ethically?

I think you did badly, foolishly.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

#8 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-02, 11:59

So everybody else at the table knew what 2S meant. And you had good reasons to assume that everybody else knew.
Why don't you ask?
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-October-02, 12:09

I think you created problems for yourself unnecessarily.

I don't believe 2 is alertable whether or not its natural or Michaels. Its meaning is very material to you not only because it determines how you approach the hand regardless how strong your spades are but also because you have an obligation to alert the opponents of the nature of 3 if it is a spade raise. I dont think 3 is considered a cue that isn't alertable.

So I would ask about 2 at my turn and I would advise partner that its a good idea to ask as well. Even though he cannot ask for your benefit just having the opponents understand that 'you know that I know' seems to minimize problems later on.

I don't think you transmit either any UI by asking because you need to know to determine the nature of 3.

Assumption is the mother of all f~[€ ups.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   TheoKole 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Strategy Games, Reading, Weightlifting, Skiing, Singing

Posted 2010-October-04, 02:16

In your ops position I play the 2 !S call as natural.

Also I would play (1 ) P (1 ) 2 as natural but obviously I would need a much better suit than the 2 over-call. This is not alertable in my jurisdiction if it is natural.

However some people play 2 as Michael's, I have no idea why, when you can have a takeout double and Unusual NT to describe your hand to your partner.

I think you should have asked, as should your partner, because people screw up in this game. Once describing their agreement I would make sure that they bid according to their hand AND the agreement.

Since I play the Unusual vs Unusual convention, my bids would have different meanings according to what their agreements are.

Something very similar to this happened to me when ops where playing Ghestem.

I asked and his partner explained their agreement. It seems that his partner had screwed up and bid our 9 card fit with my partner. His p with 4 cards in and 2 did not put him back to .

After the director was called, he gave them a stern lecture about bidding according to their agreements, penalized them with an 0 % in matchpoints tournament, and put the partner of the Ghestem bidder on notice of disiplinary (sp?) action if it happens again.

The partner by the time the bidding had got to 5 knew that his partner had screwed up in the first place. Instead of taking his lumps like a man, he tried to plead innocent and con the director. The director understood everything that had happened and ruled accordingly.

Theo

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users