• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handling 6-5 hands

#21 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2010-June-29, 09:34

When I am 5-6 (6 cards in the lower ranking suit) I try to plan the auction and consider suit quality to be important, especially if I cannot reverse.

ie ..holding x,AKJxx,A,T8xxxx I certainly don't have the playing strength needed for a reverse and if I open 1 the suit may be buried (especially if playing something close to Walsh-type responses).

If I open 1 and rebid 2 PD will often take a preference back to with 2 card support and I don't mind that with such a good suit. If I open 1 and catch a raise I certainly am happy and if I open 1 and the opps buy the hand, I would certainly prefer a lead to a .

And for an example the other way.

x,Jxxxx,A,AQJxxx ... here I open 1 and am willing to miss the times we miss a 5-3 fit and certainly have no issues rebidding 2 and am happy to not be suffering in a 5-2 fit or pulling a 2 preference to 3 and hoping it is better and that PD doesn't take me for a somewhat better hand.

Yeah..these were rather extreme examples..and when the suits are closer in quality make a decision and live with it.

#22 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-June-29, 16:27

hanp, on Jun 29 2010, 05:32 PM, said:

Does the Hog open 1S with 5-6 in the majors? :) :blink:

With a weak hand, yes.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users