• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lauria-Versace system Appeal for information

#1 User is offline   James_H 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-June-09, 06:24

Hi All,

While L-V have a natural basis, they have many non natural responses.
I'm looking for links to descriptions of any aspects of their system.

Thanks, James.

#2 User is online   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2010-June-09, 14:28

Try: http://www.infobridg...ria-versace.pdf

Also: http://www.ecatsbridge.com/documents/files...ria-versace.pdf

These appear to be the same card.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#3 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-June-12, 17:11

Bridge files webpage has fd convention card for Lauria - Versace system but I found those notes not accurate in many areas.

Their approach is basically natural with 2 opener showing 18-19 balanced (this way if you open 1 of a minor and then dbl you always has unbalanced hand, also in constructive auctions 2NT rebid is free for other things).
They open 1 with 4+ (so 1 is 2+). They don't play Walsh, which means they never skip suit after 1 opener if they don't have longer major. This way they can bid:
1 - 1
2 - pass
Which solves the problem of 5-4 hands (they open 1 and rebid 2 after 1M not being afraid of losing 4-4 diamond fit).

They play Gazilli in all the sequencies, ie.:

1m - 1M
2C = gazilli

1m - 1NT
2c = gazilli

1 - 1
2 = gazilli

I didn't quite get their scheme after that. I am sure there is a clever way to show 15-17 balanced with 5M after that but don't know how exactly they bid those hands (they NEVER open 1NT with those).

Thanks to that the jumps are intermediate so they don't have leaks of standard system.

Overall I think their system is vastly superior to all other breads of 2/1 which doesn't use 2 opener and Gazilli. They solved major leaks of standard thanks to those bids and have many gains in comp as well as constructive bidding thanks to their system.

#4 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-13, 05:32

In a number of Gazilli sequences they strive to show 3-card support for the unbid major. It seems to be one of their key objectives.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   zenko 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-13, 17:06

They often overcall on level 1 with very close to nothing, say Jxxxxx xx xxx xx (I saw that kind of overcall many times, especially by Versace)

#6 User is offline   zenko 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-13, 17:13

another unusual thing they do is 1M-2N bid showing 3-4 card limit raise, not very sound convention IMO, but it works for them, I guess it is needed because they play 1N response NF.

#7 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-13, 17:35

another unusual thing they do is 1M-2N bid showing 3-4 card limit raise, not very sound convention IMO, but it works for them, I guess it is needed because they play 1N response NF.

Really ? I saw like few thousands hands of them and they never passed 1NT. I doubt they would play system that bad btw.

They didn't play drury for a long time but switched recently from other interesting things.

#8 User is offline   zenko 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-13, 18:19

bluecalm, on Jun 13 2010, 06:35 PM, said:

Really ? I saw like few thousands hands of them and they never passed 1NT. I doubt they would play system that bad btw.

They didn't play drury for a long time but switched recently from other interesting things.

Well you can click above on their CC and see for yourself:

Under responses to 1S:

1NT = NATURAL;

Also under subsequent auction 1S-1N-2C says it is is either weak with 4+clubs or strong any; no allowance for "prepared" response with 5332.

BTW playing heavy but NF (i.e. kind of semiF) 1N response is quite common among top level pairs especially in Europe, nothing unusual there.

#9 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2010-June-13, 18:42

While I was slowly writing this, the above got posted saying much the same thing.

bluecalm, on Jun 13 2010, 07:35 PM, said:

... I saw like few thousands hands of them and they never passed 1NT. I doubt they would play system that bad btw. ...

Please see:

lauria-versace.pdf

From page 2, note 1NT NF response for 1H and 1S openings
From page 1, 1M-3 is a raise with any shortness
From page 2, 1M-2NT, 1-3 and 1-3 are various raises
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#10 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-13, 19:11

I am just saying I didn't see them passing that ever. It indeed looks like it's NF. It's very surprising to me.

#11 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-June-14, 00:33

funny, in my experience, being able to play in 1NT instead of 2M on a 5-2 fit all the time is a big imp spinner.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users