#1 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2010-March-29, 04:43

1-(P)-2-(3)
P-3
3-4

What kind of hand do you think opener has shown?

Is partner making a cuebid for spades or coming in hearts?
Kevin Fay

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-29, 05:05

No liking for hearts, six moderate spades, and no club stop. KQxxxx x AQx xxx, for example.

Without specific agreement to the contrary, I think 4 agrees spades; with hearts responder would have to make his own arrangements. It would be better for 4 to set hearts as trumps and 4 to set spades, but that requires agreement.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2010-March-29, 05:06

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-March-29, 05:07

Well im sure this is a completely weird position to take but it sounds like opener has 6 spades with no particular extra texture or strength and responder has 6 of 7 hearts with 4 diamonds.

edit: changed my mind, responder shouldn't be allowed to introduce a new suit like this, this should be a cue for spades.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#4 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-29, 09:27

Opener bid spades twice right? Is he barred from passing over 3 with 6 spades or something? Bridge is getting too complicated for me.

As for 4 yes it would be nice to have an agreement to differentiate each minor bid supporting a different major but I don't have that agreement. I don't even know whether I'd go with lower/lower and higher/higher or cuebid for last bid suit and other bid for other suit. Anyway it's spades, which I suspect upon analysis makes less sense than hearts.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#5 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-29, 09:50

I also thought it was spades, and told my partner as much (who thought it was hearts) so was just making sure that I wasn't crazy and partner and I disagreed on something disputed and I got upset for no reason, or whatever.

I asked two local 'experts,' whose opinions I always disagree with... and they thought hearts, 'could be spades if he says so later.' So I laughed on the inside while just politely disagreeing on the outside but it still made me question myself further.
Kevin Fay

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2010-March-29, 10:30

And why does opener have to have 6 spades? Assuming that the 2 response was game forcing, so that the 3 rebid is forcing, can't opener have 5-1-4-3 or even 5-1-3-4 with no club stop and a minimum hand? With the 5-1-4-3 is he required to bid 3? Clearly with 5-1-3-4 he has a pass.

Here is a possible hand:

AQJTx
x
KQx
xxxx

What is opener supposed to do over 3? Assuming that he passes, what is he supposed to do over 3?

#7 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-29, 10:36

ArtK78, on Mar 29 2010, 11:30 AM, said:

And why does opener have to have 6 spades?  Assuming that the 2 response was game forcing, so that the 3 rebid is forcing, can't opener have 5-1-4-3 or even 5-1-3-4 with no club stop and a minimum hand?  With the 5-1-4-3 is he required to bid 3?  Clearly with 5-1-3-4 he has a pass.

Here is a possible hand:

AQJTx
x
KQx
xxxx

What is opener supposed to do over 3?  Assuming that he passes, what is he supposed to do over 3?

I agree I didn't think it guaranteed a 6th spade (I had KQJ9x)
Kevin Fay

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-March-29, 10:56

ArtK78, on Mar 29 2010, 11:30 AM, said:

And why does opener have to have 6 spades? Assuming that the 2 response was game forcing, so that the 3 rebid is forcing, can't opener have 5-1-4-3 or even 5-1-3-4 with no club stop and a minimum hand? With the 5-1-4-3 is he required to bid 3? Clearly with 5-1-3-4 he has a pass.

Here is a possible hand:

AQJTx
x
KQx
xxxx

What is opener supposed to do over 3? Assuming that he passes, what is he supposed to do over 3?

Bid 4.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2010-March-29, 11:49

its ambigous, so don't take control since you don't know wich one is the fit.

You know that K is as good as any keycard, but K doesn't need to, so I'd assume hearts as the fit and let partner rectify to spades later.

So bid 4 now with black contorls and answer keycards if partner asks, otherwise just bid 4.

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-March-29, 12:23

jdonn, on Mar 29 2010, 10:27 AM, said:

Opener bid spades twice right? Is he barred from passing over 3 with 6 spades or something? Bridge is getting too complicated for me.

As for 4 yes it would be nice to have an agreement to differentiate each minor bid supporting a different major but I don't have that agreement. I don't even know whether I'd go with lower/lower and higher/higher or cuebid for last bid suit and other bid for other suit. Anyway it's spades, which I suspect upon analysis makes less sense than hearts.

Why not? I mean, flags really seem critical these days, especially with competition involved. 4 for hearts, 4 for spades.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users