• You cannot reply to this topic

single best thing.

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-November-27, 19:12

What is the single best thing that you have learned on these forums?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-November-27, 20:18

I remember I learned that 1S p 1N p 4S doesn't show a strong 1 suiter, it shows some kind of gambling type hand that is like 7-4 and was too strong to open 4S to begin with

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-27, 20:38

I just learned that
(1)-x-(1)-3
(3)-p-(p)-x
is penalty.

I also learned to make less psychotic preempts.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-27, 21:33

I learnt there were more systems than just acol,sayc,2/1,polish club, strong club and SEF.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-November-27, 21:44

I learned to just BID GAME! (Conditions applying)

But will think more...
Kevin Fay

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-November-28, 00:30

The best thing I learned is that online [fill in the name] and in real life [fill in the same name] often have quite different personalities, so I try not to judge one based on knowing the other.

Bridgewise, the best thing I learned was being reminded that it's not just the chance you may have game/slam that make it worth looking for, but that you can find it intelligently.

The most interesting thing I learned was that the old tip that being long in the suit RHO opens means partner is more likely to fit you in another suit may actually be backwards, especially for clubs.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#7 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-November-28, 05:54

jdonn, on Nov 28 2009, 01:30 AM, said:

The best thing I learned is that online [fill in the name] and in real life [fill in the same name] often have quite different personalities, so I try not to judge one based on knowing the other.

Heh, no offense but this is funny because of all the people I know on the forums this is most applicable to you. You are one of the nicest guys I know irl so your online persona is funny to me. Wish the same was true of me!

BTW hope you take none of our online fights personally, I still consider you a good friend even though it gets really heated on here sometimes!

#8 User is offline   olliebol 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music (but non classical) tennis ,travel and science books , films and art

Posted 2009-November-28, 06:29

After typing in "most replies "and "all time" on the watercooler i learned in about 4 hours time how to behave at award ceremonies :)

Bridgewise i learnt to not come up with the brilliant bid at the table too often, unless discussed partner is very likely in the dark.
Olivier.

#9 User is offline   MikeRJ 

• PipPip

Posted 2009-November-28, 07:11

I now make take out doubles on a wider range of hands than I used to - on balance with good results. Also more aggressive about bidding game.

Mike

#10 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-November-28, 07:48

bluhmerz!
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#11 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-28, 10:36

Constant reinforcement of the need to think about the range of hands partner can have for his bidding so far and how likely or not our combined holdings support an action I am considering.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#12 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-November-28, 18:57

Jlall, on Nov 28 2009, 06:54 AM, said:

BTW hope you take none of our online fights personally, I still consider you a good friend even though it gets really heated on here sometimes!

I don't take my fights with anyone on here personally, least of all you! I just had a few drinks with Cascade when he was in town and he was an extremely nice guy, it was fun other than me doing a terrible job handling my alcohol. So if we can be friends outside the forums, then anyone fighting about anything can. Hakuna Matata.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#13 User is offline   eyhung 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, poker, literature, boardgames, computers, classical music, baseball, history

Posted 2009-November-29, 04:29

Maybe these aren't the best, but these are situations that keep coming up frequently and which I didn't really "grok" until I read it in the forums:
  • Justin on why winners don't downgrade
  • awm's natural followups after 1m - 1M - 2M
  • Fred's principle of preemptive raises
  • Fred's articles on how to become an expert / understand bidding theory

Eugene Hung

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2009-November-29, 05:08

I've beenm here so long that I have learnt many things.

Best things are that second position preempts have nothing to do with first position ones.

Also I pay a much heavier roll to honnor allocation now. Years ago it was all just HCP+ shape.

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2009-November-29, 05:16

Jlall, on Nov 28 2009, 11:54 AM, said:

jdonn, on Nov 28 2009, 01:30 AM, said:

Heh, no offense but this is funny because of all the people I know on the forums this is most applicable to you. You are one of the nicest guys I know irl so your online persona is funny to me. Wish the same was true of me!

This is so funny, cos I remember when he came to the forums, I though he was some 60 year old bad tempered american who seemed to think he was always right.

I kind of hated him, but then someone commented his real name. And I went to WBF people to find further.

In spanish we say that one picture is worth more than thounds of words, and it atually just took me a asecond looking at his face to realice he had been just joking all the time, having fun of us while I though he was being serious.

Thins where better after it.

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2009-November-29, 07:06

From online bridge forums generally (rather than this one in particular), the most interesting thing I've learned is how much variation there is in what people regard as standard or normal.

Some examples of this: what a responsive double implies, when fourth-suit forcing applies, what a preempt looks like, what hands are important facing a 1NT opener, the right way to explore for slams, and even what are good and bad suits to lead from.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2009-November-29, 09:57

Fluffy. YOUR picture is worth a thousand words. Mine is worth one. "ugh". I am the 60 (66) yr. old grumpy American. Just setting the record straight.

What I have enjoyed most in these fora is gaining an understanding of why people don't use our agreements or use standard sequences in different ways. Then, with that insight, pard and I can make an informed decision to leave our system alone. :P , but with an appreciation of others' choices.

Actually, we have added a few things --such as snapdr at the one-level only, because of forum discussions.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2009-November-29, 15:17

lol my picture dates from vienna`98 when I was 18 if I recall correctly

#19 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-November-29, 16:41

I can't think of any one specific thing I have learned that stands out compared to all the other points made.

I am impressed by the intelligence of the majority of the posters, and by the willingness to share insights into the game. And I love the fact that even after 30+ years of play and study, the game offers ongoing opportunity to learn more and more....so my thanks to everyone who contributes here.

I have changed a number of my ideas because of posts I have read....especially posts which disagreed with things I wrote. I (truly) love learning that my views are wrong! Because when that happens, it is almost always the result of a reasoned explanation of where they are wrong.....sometimes I disagree with the reasoning and am unconvinced, but quite often I find the reasoning to be illuminating... and (I hope) I have become a slightly better player as a result.

Even when I am unconvinced, the process helps me to better understand the issue.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#20 User is offline   maggieb 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sewing, Cooking, and Square Dancing!

Posted 2009-November-29, 17:28

Maybe this is a little offtopic, but one of the first things I ever did on these forums was search for all of Fred's bridge-related posts and read all of them. I think he will always be the biggest asset to the forums, and I am really thankful that there are thousands of thoughts from a top American player that are just free to read for everyone. I learned a lot from them, and it wasn't just about his bridge, but also about his views on bridge politics, policies, training, and etiquette. It's something that I recommend every aspiring bridge player does.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users