KJxx
xx
AJxxx
xx

1-1
4-4*
4NT-5
5NT-6-end

*=knowing how happy partner generally is to upgrade his hands.

small spade lead.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-November-28, 19:56

Lot's of techniques to consider (x-ruff? ruffing the diamonds high? Playing clubs for KQ onside, something that is slightly more likely than the normal 24% due to the trump lead?) but I will go for a pedestrian plan. Win the opening lead in the hand, play three top hearts discarding a club. To be continued ....
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-November-30, 06:51

I'd probably take the lead in hand and duck a club. Another trump comes back and I take in dummy. Now ruff a club low and a heart high. Back to dummy in a diamond ruff low, pull last trump and dummy is high.

Loses to trumps 4-1 or hearts 5-2. Else it makes (or I made a mistake lol).

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-November-30, 09:16

whereagles, on Nov 30 2009, 07:51 AM, said:

I'd probably take the lead in hand and duck a club. Another trump comes back and I take in dummy. Now ruff a club low and a heart high. Back to dummy in a diamond ruff low, pull last trump and dummy is high.

Loses to trumps 4-1 or hearts 5-2. Else it makes (or I made a mistake lol).

I doubt that hearts are 5-2 with 6 outstanding.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-November-30, 11:30

Anyone else look at the auction? North opened 1, splintered and then bid keycard after partner bid 4. So S could easily have held xxxx x KQJx xxxx.

Was the 4 call in tempo?

If it was, North is a lunatic. If it wasn't, then North should be passing 4.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-November-30, 11:53

I agree with that mikeh. I think my 4 bid was in tempo but I don't remember exactly. However, I would have been interested to know how you'd have played it, I was happy to see your name as "last poster", but then no. ;)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-November-30, 12:42

As to the play: I don't like the idea of 3 top hearts, pitching a club, since there is a high risk that they will ruff in and be able to lead another trump...leaving me with only 2 trumps with which to ruff one heart and 2 clubs. The odds of the short heart having the long spade seem to be slightly over 50%, and the odds of hearts being 4-2 are significant.

I prefer to rely on trumps behaving, so I win in hand and lead a club. I doubt that anyone I usually play against will find, at the table, the play of the K or Q of clubs lacking the other honour, so if LHO goes in with either, I will play him for the other. In that case, I cash a top trump in dummy...if they are 3-2, I finish the trump, ruff a low heart after cashing 2 tops and lead a club up.

I will congratulate any LHO who pops a lone club honour from Hx(x)(x) etc. I am not sure I can handle the hand if LHO has Hx in clubs anyway...not without scooping his hand, anyway. So I might as well play him for KQ(x)(x) etc.

If trump are 4=1, I think I need hearts 3=3...win the trump in dummy, since that is best when trump are 3-2, and now I am stuck...I cannot both ruff a heart in hand and lead a club up, since LHO wins and plays a diamond and I can't get to dummy without burning my last trump.

More commonly, I duck the club and back comes a trump.

The analysis becomes long-winded because either opp could win this club. I assume that a trump comes back. I also assume that my spots are such that they don't grow up even with these trump leads.

If trump are 3-2, win in hand, cross in clubs, ruff a club low (do this before playing hearts to avoid someone with 2=3 in the rounded suits pitching a club) and then 2 top hearts, ruff high, diamond A, diamond ruff and pull trump...making on 3-2 trumps, 4-2/3-3 hearts and no club overruff.

If trump are 4-1, win in hand, cash two hearts, ruff a heart low (needs long spades to hold 3 or 4 hearts), cross in trump, pull trump, run hearts....needs same hand to have KQ in both minors or clubs 6-2 and the long clubs to have KQ diamonds, as well as hearts 3=3 or 4=2 with long hearts holding 4 trumps. Maybe LHO is xxxx xxxx xxx xx and rho is x xx KQxx KQxxxx...of course either opp could and should foil this line at trick 3.

phew....this is why I don't always respond to 'how to play this hand'. This is how I would think at the table (I'm not always fast ;) )...and I don't claim that this is best...only that this seems best to me.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2009-November-30, 13:44

If trumps turn out to be 4-1, I think it's better to ruff a club and play for hearts 3-3.

Finding all four minor honours in the short-trump hand is
  12/21 x 11/20 x 10/19 x 9/18 = 8%

Finding hearts 3-3 is
  12/21 x 11/20 x 10/19 x 9/18 * 8/17 * 7/17 x 6C3 =32%
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2009-November-30, 21:37

I now agree with Gnasher.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users