Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's standard?

#1 User is offline   zheddh 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-October-22, 09:37

What is opener's rebid after a forcing NT with 5-4-(0-4) shape?

after 1 - 1NT

I used to think 2 was clear but i have met people who seem to respond 2.

Does this change if the NT is not forcing as in SAYC?
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's razor (by courtesy of hrothgar)

#2 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-October-22, 09:44

Always 2. It's still possible that game is on and the most likely game will reside in hearts (as opposed to 5m). Further developments may allow me to bid 3m to pattern out and if I had started with 2m over 1NT, then I will never be able to get my 4card heart suit across and plus, 1S-1NT-2m-2S/2NT-3H will take up more space than 3m had we started with 2.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#3 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-October-22, 10:39

Always 2H but with 5044 bid 2C unless you are strong enough to make a third bid over a minimum bid from partner.

#4 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-October-22, 10:43

Always 2, as Jlall said.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-October-22, 11:10

FWIW, I've dabbled in a thought here.

The idea is to play what I would call "Opener's Bart" here.

If you assume that it would not be insane to play that a 2 opening shows spades and diamonds and intermediate values, then it is not unreasonable to also have the auction forced to at least 2 when Opener has spades and diamonds and intermediate values but opens 1. Not exactly the same, but...

If you accept that premise, then 1-P-1NT-P-2 could be forcing, showing either spades and diamonds OR spades and hearts but weak. 1-P-1NT-P-2 would then show spades and hearts and extras.

After 2 (spades and diamonds or spades and hearts but weak), Responder assumes both majors and picks. If Responder picks hearts, Opener converts to 2 if he actually had spades and diamonds. If Responder picks spades, and Opener had spades and diamonds, 2 is probably the right contract, but Opener might bid again (would pass with weak and majors, so any new bid confirms real diamonds, now extras).

If Opener happens to have 5440 spade exactly, he could then opt to bid 2 or 2 as appropriate. There is also the possibility of 1-P-1NT-P-2!-P-2M-P-3, confirming 5440 shape.

This would be even better if Opener had the option of, say, opening 2 or 2 to show spades and diamonds and weak (such that 1-P-1NT-P-2! alwasy is done with extras when Opener has diamonds), but that might not even be necessary.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-October-22, 12:57

kenrexford, on Oct 22 2009, 07:10 PM, said:

If you assume that it would not be insane to play that a 2 opening shows spades and diamonds and intermediate values, then it is not unreasonable to also have the auction forced to at least 2 when Opener has spades and diamonds and intermediate values but opens 1. Not exactly the same, but...

If you accept that premise, then 1-P-1NT-P-2 could be forcing, showing either spades and diamonds OR spades and hearts but weak. 1-P-1NT-P-2 would then show spades and hearts and extras.

After 2 (spades and diamonds or spades and hearts but weak), Responder assumes both majors and picks. If Responder picks hearts, Opener converts to 2 if he actually had spades and diamonds. If Responder picks spades, and Opener had spades and diamonds, 2 is probably the right contract, but Opener might bid again (would pass with weak and majors, so any new bid confirms real diamonds, now extras).

If Opener happens to have 5440 spade exactly, he could then opt to bid 2 or 2 as appropriate. There is also the possibility of 1-P-1NT-P-2!-P-2M-P-3, confirming 5440 shape.

This would be even better if Opener had the option of, say, opening 2 or 2 to show spades and diamonds and weak (such that 1-P-1NT-P-2! alwasy is done with extras when Opener has diamonds), but that might not even be necessary.

On that idea, I prefer to have some opening bid show 5-4/5-5 in the blacks and play transfers over 1-1NT.
Kind regards,
Harald

#7 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-October-22, 13:45

Jlall, on Oct 23 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

Always 2H but with 5044 bid 2C unless you are strong enough to make a third bid over a minimum bid from partner.

Smart move 2 would be bad with 5=0=4=4. :lol:
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-October-22, 15:49

skaeran, on Oct 22 2009, 01:57 PM, said:

kenrexford, on Oct 22 2009, 07:10 PM, said:

If you assume that it would not be insane to play that a 2 opening shows spades and diamonds and intermediate values, then it is not unreasonable to also have the auction forced to at least 2 when Opener has spades and diamonds and intermediate values but opens 1.  Not exactly the same, but...

If you accept that premise, then 1-P-1NT-P-2 could be forcing, showing either spades and diamonds OR spades and hearts but weak.  1-P-1NT-P-2 would then show spades and hearts and extras.

After 2 (spades and diamonds or spades and hearts but weak), Responder assumes both majors and picks.  If Responder picks hearts, Opener converts to 2 if he actually had spades and diamonds.  If Responder picks spades, and Opener had spades and diamonds, 2 is probably the right contract, but Opener might bid again (would pass with weak and majors, so any new bid confirms real diamonds, now extras).

If Opener happens to have 5440 spade exactly, he could then opt to bid 2 or 2 as appropriate.  There is also the possibility of 1-P-1NT-P-2!-P-2M-P-3, confirming 5440 shape.

On that idea, I prefer to have some opening bid show 5-4/5-5 in the blacks and play transfers over 1-1NT.

That works too, except that it doesn't have an obviously sexy name like "Opener's Bart." You'd have to call it something interesting.

On a more serious note, do transfers allow you to define the strength of the major two-suiter without bypassing 2? Maybe 2 as a relay to diamonds but possibly weak with both majors, such that 2 shows majors but better than average? Or, 2 weak majors but 2 might be strong with majors instead of diamonds? Something like that would work.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-22, 23:14

2H always, don't hide a 4-card major unless there is compelling reason not to show it. But I don't know what that reason could be.

#10 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-October-23, 00:04

kenrexford, on Oct 22 2009, 11:49 PM, said:

skaeran, on Oct 22 2009, 01:57 PM, said:

That works too, except that it doesn't have an obviously sexy name like "Opener's Bart." You'd have to call it something interesting.

How about "Moulin Rouge"?

:)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users