• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strong 1C opening

#21 User is offline   Rado 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-June-18, 17:44

Hi all friends,
Have asked several times in different trends, why some are quoting MOSCITO in every post of them but still nobody announced some good major international MOSCITO success?
Many systems look quite well on paper, but life is another story.
Regards, Rado

#22 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-June-18, 18:17

I won't accuse you of not having read Richard's post if you address the issues he raised in his response - something you conveniently chose to ignore.

"Finally, I have expressed my PERSONAL opinion on the subject of responses to a strong club "

Then don't make dogmatic assertions which are not supported by any evidence apart from conjecture. Strong international players have used these methods with success while playing for their country. If you want to argue a case, produce statistics or simulations or examples from major championships which support your claims. Can you produce any hands from the 2003 Far Eastern where this method was last played? How many times did the auction 1C 1D (?)
pre empt the clubbers out of their correct contract?

Furthermore, don't tell me the auction 1C (3M) X is easier to cope with than
1C (P) 1D (3M). At least in the second auction I know we are in a GF situation. The semi positive responses have full relays which get you to good games/slams if the combined strength/shape is there. In other cases the semi positives provide a huge bulwark against pre emption. How much better off am I when I KNOW my pd has 5-8 with 5S in response to my bid C, rather than 1C (P) 1D (3H), where I know my pd has 0-8 with anything?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#23 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-June-18, 18:27

Rado, on Jun 19 2004, 02:44 AM, said:

Hi all friends,
Have asked several times in different trends, why some are quoting MOSCITO in every post of them but still nobody announced some good major international MOSCITO success?
Many systems look quite well on paper, but life is another story.
Regards, Rado

We'll there's Marston and Burgess...
They've had some degree of success through the years.

With this said and done, from what I can tell use of adoption of bidding systems is more related to geography and language groupings than anything else.

Consider the following:

The French and the Poles are two of the strongest bridge playing nations in Europe. The methods used by these two countries are very different. The most popular methods used in Britain are far removed from either of these. If people were really interested in searching out the "best" methods, one would expect that Poland would look like France which would look like Britain. I'm not suggesting that a single bidding system would be adopted universally, but rather that the population of bidding systems that one encountered in a Polish tournament would look like that used in Britain, France, etc.

The fact that this hasn't happened suggests that for whatever reason, people don't seem inclined to change. Given that the systems aren't spreading much within Europe, I don't find it particularly surprising that a set of methods that evolved in Australia haven't been adopted in oher parts of the world.

Equally significant, MOSCITO is banned outright by several Zonal authorities. Here in the US, the ACBL conventions committee refuses to approve any defenses to the methods. This might explain why relatively few pairs are using the methods on this side of the pond. The same holds true in Britain. I'm told that the system regulations in France are fairly restrictive as well.
Alderaan delenda est

#24 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2004-June-18, 18:40

Rado,
You comment is a bit odd, as these methods are disallowed in practically all events in the US and in many European countries. Why would anyone play a system the can't play in most Open competitions?

Anyway, to quote Richard:
"We'll there's Marston and Burgess...
They've had some degree of success through the years."

Marston and Burgess have had excellent results in the Cavendish. They also took, as the anchor pair - Australia to the last 4 in the BB- best ever result. They have also had a lot of other success internationally - Far Easts, etc. Not bad for a country that has only a small no of bridge players. In their heyday, they were regarded as one of the stronger pairs in the world.

Also Hans and Marston have done well playing this in the Far East - won the pairs.

Also it has had a lot of success nationally. Further, Ron Klinger, who does NOT play this, but plays a similar system, (big C, transfer openings), is winning a lot at the moment.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#25 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-June-19, 08:40

whereagles, on Jun 18 2004, 03:21 PM, said:

Finally, I have expressed my PERSONAL opinion on the subject of responses to a strong club because, and only because, I was invited to do it by the original poster. I can do without derrogatory and dogmatic statements.

I accept that you have a personal oppinion about something, but I didn't ask for specific opinions. I asked what your favorite answers are, and most important HOW you deal with intervention. However, you didn't give us ANY sollutions, any way you deal with intervention, but you only gave negative comment on a structure some people use, which has been proven to be succesfull by playing it.

What's YOUR favorite structure and how do YOU deal with intervention??? This was meant as a constructive post, and I'd like everybody's habbits on the subject.

Same goes for Rado, since his post had nothing to do with the topic subject. This isn't meant as a thread about MOSCITO, just about every big opening. Too bad only MOSCITO players respond (and Misho and Mikestar - tnx)...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#26 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-June-19, 09:03

Free, on Jun 19 2004, 10:40 AM, said:

Too bad only MOSCITO players respond (and Misho and Mikestar - tnx)...

Hmm, I responded, and I am not a moscito player. I also stayed on topic, giving what for me, turned out to be the best advise I could give concerning 1 auctions, as this treatment proved to be a big winner for me when I played precision regularly. Oh well....

Ben
--Ben--

#27 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2004-June-19, 09:09

Sry Ben, overlooked your post. Tnx to Ben as well ;)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#28 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-June-19, 10:07

whereagles, on Jun 18 2004, 03:01 PM, said:

Hog: you have no right to accuse me of not having read someone else's post.

hrothgar:

> "Anyone who believes this doesn't understand Strong Club systems."

That's a rather dogmatic accusation as well. I guess people who developed bidding tools, like asking bids, relay schemes and all that didn't understand a thing of strong club systems?

In any case, while your effort to maximize bidding efficiency after a strong club is commendable, you must realize bridge is a game where tactical considerations play a big role. You cannot forget that

1. Bidding accurately to the correct game or slam is worth more IMPS than a bunch of impeccably bid part-scores.

2. Opponents are aching to disrupt your bidding. When a game is on, it's 10 IMPS that are at stake. You already lost time by opening a strong club, so now so you must start bidding suits as soon as possible.

i guess the obvious question is, why do so many (world class/winning) pairs use a strong club system, given the weaknesses you think it has? like many of you i watched the recent usbc vugraph and there sure seemed to be quite a few great players using either precision or some other strong club
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#29 User is offline   cwiggins 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-June-19, 10:19

The_Hog, on Jun 19 2004, 12:40 AM, said:

Ron Klinger, who does NOT play this, but plays a similar system, (big C, transfer openings), is winning a lot at the moment.

Do you have any more details on Klinger's current system?

When opps intervene after 1♣ (p) 1♦ (game-force), you run a serious risk of misguessing your strain and lose 10 imps.

Not exactly on point, but Hamman and Soloway play that 1-1 is 8-11 HCP any distribution except 4441, and 1-1 is 12+ HCP any shape other than with 5+ hearts, clubs, or diamonds (so 5+ spades, balanced, or 4441). Over these responses, they manage to guess the strain well enough to compete in world championships.

This suggest that a limited undefined positive is playable at the highest levels.

#30 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2004-June-19, 18:41

Free,
what we have done is to develop a means of distinguishing between decent 6-8 hands with a good suit, and gf hands when the opps have overcalled 1C with (2?)
We play a form of Leb here by responder; 2N is a puppet to 3C, whereby resp can pass or bid their suit to show 4 in a Major and a stopper and 3 everything else is GF. The cue in their suit shows no 4 card M no stopper. X shows all the rest.

Over 1 level intervention an amusing convention we played some years ago was Archimedes:
1C (1 level bids) X = 0-5, pass = 6-8, bids = GF

#31 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-June-22, 14:12

Semipostives have considerable merit. Whether and how much they are superior to 1D negative and GF positives may depend in part on the strength of the 1C opening.

Playing a MOSCITO version with a 14+ big club, responder's expected HCP is 8 2/3, game invitational but not GF. Semipositives make a lot of sense here.

Playing my own preference of a 17+ big club, responder's expectation is 7 2/3 almost GF. So the probability distribution of semipoistive hands vs. GF hands is different.

(Carrying on with this line, opposite a 19+ Romex dynamic NT, responder's expectation is 7, clearly GF.)

I might well gain by using semipositives--the question is worth some research. But I won't gain as much as Richard does, and a Romex player will gain little or nothing.

#32 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-June-23, 02:10

hrothgar, on Jun 18 2004, 06:39 AM, said:

[....] the conditional probability that we're dealt a game forcing hand opposite a strong club opening is only about 36%.  Lets assume for the moment that bidding space opposite a strong club opening should be allocated using a Fibonacci sequence.  [....]

This is true if 1 shows 14+. However, if it shows 16+, as in traditional Precision, I just simulated 451 8+ hands versus 498 7- hands. Of course, if you open in second, third or fourth seat the odds for a GF hand become even bigger. Also, it is not obvious that the Fibonacci series provides an optimal solution. Since the 1 opening is rather infomartive itself, the optimal frequency of 1 is probably closer to 50% than to 38%. So information theory actually provides a case for the traditional approach.

Interference is another matter, of course.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#33 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2004-June-23, 04:11

The 1 opening we play has 9+ slam points, and around 15+HCP. In 3rd and 4th seat it's raised to 10+ slam points, around 17+HCP. So I don't know if it might be better to use different structures according to position :D However, after 3rd and 4th seat 1 opening, partner has passed already, so the GF hands are again a lot less...

#34 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-June-23, 08:26

My experience has been that GF responses are more frequent when opening 1C in second or fourth seat, but not in third seat unless the opponents quite a bit lighter than we do. The size of the effect varies with opponent's opening style. For example opening 1C in second seat playing against a MOSCITO pair, I would expext partner to have a GF considerably more often than not.

One nice thing about third and fourth seat 1C openers--responder's GF has a fairly tight upper limit and you have many opportunites to blast to the correct contract and minimize the help you give the defense. The upper limit helps in competition as well.

#35 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-June-29, 12:54

Hi all,
I was away for two weeks, so only now could I reply. Again, I didn't have time to go through all the posts, so I address only those which had something to do with the issues I raised.
Atul:

(...) what you seem to be suggesting that this structure is for some reason inferior to the traditional 1C - 1D structure because it's susceptible to inference by the opps. Do you have any data to support this conjecture?

Sorry, but I don't have time at the moment to run simulations nor to look for examples from expert play. But see my reply to mikestar, below.

Hog:

I won't accuse you of not having read Richard's post if you address the issues he raised in his response - something you conveniently chose to ignore.

I guess by "Richard" you mean hrothgar. If so, I did coment on his table. Check 2nd paragraph of my post after his table. Please don't accuse me of doing things by convenience. I resent that.

Then don't make dogmatic assertions which are not supported by any evidence apart from conjecture.

What on Earth are you taking about? I didn't make any dogmatic assertions. My claims are backed with appropriate argumentation (which you may or may not agree with), and are in no way whatsoever unsupported. Finally, I don't have to convince anyone. The onus to prove unusual methods are superior lays upon those who play them.

Furthermore, don't tell me the auction 1C (3M) X is easier to cope with than
1C (P) 1D (3M).

This is irrelevant. This auction has nothing to do with semipositive responses.

The semi positive responses have full relays which get you to good games/slams if the combined strength/shape is there. In other cases the semi positives provide a huge bulwark against pre emption. How much better off am I when I KNOW my pd has 5-8 with 5S in response to my bid C, rather than 1C (P) 1D (3H), where I know my pd has 0-8 with anything?

You can argue the other way around as well, so your point really isn't quite valid. After 1C (p) 1H (3S), where 1H is nat 8+, I'm much better off than if it had been 1C (p) 1D (3S) with 1D=8+ any shape.

Free:

I didn't ask for specific opinions. I asked what your favorite answers are, and most important HOW you deal with intervention. (...) you only gave negative comment on a structure some people use.

Well, you know as well as I do these discussions often go beyond their initial subject :rolleyes: But to honor you, here are my replies to your original questions.
1. My favourite 1C response structure is the classic one, with 1C-2H and above as weakish (but good suit) and 1C-2NT a 4441. Classic is easy to remember and does the job. I've toyed with just about every other response scheme except semipositives, with mixed feelings.
2. 2nd intervenes: I use Rigal's scheme. That's basically: suit bids GF, cue three-suited take-out, dbl=5-7. I used to emply the semipositive method but was never too happy with it.
3. 4th intervenes: natural, take-out doubles through 4S.

cwiggins:

Not exactly on point, but Hamman and Soloway play that 1C-1H is 8-11 HCP any distribution except 4441, and 1C-1S is 12+ HCP any shape other than with 5+ hearts, clubs, or diamonds (so 5+ spades, balanced, or 4441). Over these responses, they manage to guess the strain well enough to compete in world championships. This suggest that a limited undefined positive is playable at the highest levels.

Actually, I used to play a similar scheme for a few months. It is more playable than 1C-1D 8+ unlimited, since opener has a better notion at what level to play. I didn't like the method for various reasons and eventually gave up on it.

Mikestar:

Semipostives have considerable merit. Whether and how much they are superior to 1D negative and GF positives may depend in part on the strength of the 1C opening.

Now this is good reasoning. The lower the 1C is, the more important it is to start bidding suits if weakish. But, as helene_t showed, if 1C is 16+, the classic scheme appears to be better. If you lower it to 14+, then maybe there's a point to semipositives.

Finally, there's much more to semipositives or positives than frequency tables. Many top players use precision these days, so time will tell whether semipositive responses are better than positives or not.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users