BBO Discussion Forums: Wtp? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wtp? 5404 9-count

#41 User is offline   Lobowolf 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,030
  • Joined: 2008-August-08
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-August-26, 19:43

MickyB, on Aug 26 2009, 11:51 AM, said:

I doubled at the table and thought it clearcut, was suprised how many good players who I asked preferred 1♠. You really want to invite partner to bid a suit while the auction is still at a low level, which will leave you well-placed.

The auction proceeded

1♦-X-1♥-2♥
3♣-3♥-5♦-X
all pass

What would you lead?

Diamond is indicated, for sure.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."
0

#42 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-27, 02:20

I think that a heart lead is less likely to cost a trick than a spade, but more likely to cost the contract. Partner probably has ♥K or ♥Q, so ♥A is unlikely to set up more than one trick in dummy, and declarer will still have at least one spade loser.

However, there is some risk that the heart lead will set up two winners for declarer, and with 2065 he'll end up not losing any spades at all. If I cash ♠A. the contract should go down - partner's diamonds and my club holding ought to be enough to make sure of that.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#43 User is offline   ONEferBRID 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 835
  • Joined: 2009-May-03

Posted 2009-August-27, 03:35

1♦-X-1♥-2♥
3♣-3♥-5♦-X
all pass

ArtK78 poses a good question:

[QUOTE]What does my partner's 2♥ bid mean?[QUOTE]

Opener could very well be void in Hts on this auction.

[ Art... let's see how many "LOL's" I get ] .
Don Stenmark ( TWOferBRIDGE )
0

#44 User is offline   MickyB 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,290
  • Joined: 2004-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

Posted 2009-August-27, 05:01

[quote name='ONEferBRID' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:35 AM'] 1♦-X-1♥-2♥
3♣-3♥-5♦-X
all pass

ArtK78 poses a good question:

[QUOTE]What does my partner's 2♥ bid mean?[QUOTE]

Opener could very well be void in Hts on this auction.

[ Art... let's see how many "LOL's" I get ] . [/quote]
2[he] showed 5[he]s, I think this is pretty standard (X shows 4 or maybe a bad 5). So RHO is marked with a void unless you think LHO has psyched on precisely three hearts - I say precisely three, because it seems very unlikely that RHO has a doubleton heart on this bidding. Anyway, at the table, it *really* didn't feel like LHO had psyched.
0

#45 User is offline   MickyB 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,290
  • Joined: 2004-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

Posted 2009-August-27, 05:03

gnasher, on Aug 27 2009, 09:20 AM, said:

I think that a heart lead is less likely to cost a trick than a spade, but more likely to cost the contract. Partner probably has ♥K or ♥Q, so ♥A is unlikely to set up more than one trick in dummy, and declarer will still have at least one spade loser.

However, there is some risk that the heart lead will set up two winners for declarer, and with 2065 he'll end up not losing any spades at all. If I cash ♠A. the contract should go down - partner's diamonds and my club holding ought to be enough to make sure of that.

I'd have thought the choice was between the spade ace and a low heart.
0

#46 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-27, 05:06

MickyB, on Aug 27 2009, 12:03 PM, said:

I'd have thought the choice was between the spade ace and a low heart.

That's true. A low heart seems better than either ace.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users