BBO Discussion Forums: balanced? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

balanced?

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-16, 15:54

AJ98xxx
Kx
KQ
AQ


1♠-1NT (1NT forcing 1 round)
??
0

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-August-16, 16:29

4♠, I wanna hog the contract with all these honours to protect.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-August-16, 16:35

helene_t, on Aug 16 2009, 05:29 PM, said:

4♠, I wanna hog the contract with all these honours to  protect.

yep...or even downgrade to 3s?...nah :D
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-16, 17:53

I play 3♠ is forcing sort of either a choice of games or something that has potential slam interest.

With an average suit AJ9 I would like partner to have some support to raise - I expect a raise with a stiff honour more often than not. Against this is the heart and club suits that I would prefer to get the lead up to.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#5 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-August-16, 20:02

3NT, not 4S. The S suit will probably not play well opposite a s/t or void. The idea of "right siding" contracts can be taken to extremes and this is an example of this.
If you play 3S as forcing, this is what I would bid. I don't, but I play 2NT as forcing.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#6 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-16, 20:31

The_Hog, on Aug 16 2009, 09:02 PM, said:

3NT, not 4S. The S suit will probably not play well opposite a s/t or void. The idea of "right siding" contracts can be taken to extremes and this is an example of this.
If you play 3S as forcing, this is what I would bid. I don't, but I play 2NT as forcing.

oh so which of your 2 card suits is going to serve as your source of tricks in 3NT :D
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#7 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-August-16, 22:02

pooltuna, on Aug 17 2009, 09:31 AM, said:

The_Hog, on Aug 16 2009, 09:02 PM, said:

3NT, not 4S. The S suit will probably not play well opposite a s/t or void. The idea of "right siding" contracts can be taken to extremes and this is an example of this.
If you play 3S as forcing, this is what I would bid. I don't, but I play 2NT as forcing.

oh so which of your 2 card suits is going to serve as your source of tricks in 3NT :D

Probably the same suits that you are going to have to play on when you play 4S opposite a possible void.
I already stated that I personally have a gadget for this type of hand. Given that we are not using pet gadgets, 4S is a very foolish and unilateral bid. Even better is to downgrade the hand and bid only 3S.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#8 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-August-17, 02:15

Gazzilleah! :D Otherwise 3NT. I don't like 4♠.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-17, 04:14

Free, on Aug 17 2009, 08:15 PM, said:

Gazzilleah! :P Otherwise 3NT. I don't like 4♠.

How do you show this hand with Gazilli. My version has 3♠ as forcing with all invites going through 2♣.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-August-17, 06:57

Cascade, on Aug 17 2009, 11:14 AM, said:

Free, on Aug 17 2009, 08:15 PM, said:

Gazzilleah!  :P  Otherwise 3NT.  I don't like 4♠.

How do you show this hand with Gazilli. My version has 3♠ as forcing with all invites going through 2♣.

Start with 2♣, see what partner responds. After a 2♦ positive you bid 3♠ forcing (denying 3♥) and see what partner does. Note that for me this denies a solid suit.
Bidding 3♠ immediately shows a solid suit, sets trumps, and asks to start cuebidding.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-17, 07:25

I rebid 4♠ wich made us miss slam, partner held

x
Axx
Jxx
KJxxxx
0

#12 User is offline   ONEferBRID 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 835
  • Joined: 2009-May-03

Posted 2009-August-17, 09:01

Fluffy, on Aug 17 2009, 08:25 AM, said:

I rebid 4♠ wich made us miss slam, partner held

x
Axx
Jxx
KJxxxx

Must have been a Club slam.
Spade slam can't make.

AJ98xxx
Kx
KQ
AQ
Don Stenmark ( TWOferBRIDGE )
0

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-17, 09:05

What's your point ONEferBRID?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#14 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-August-17, 10:58

I'm rebidding 2NT, conventional GF.

With the actual responding hand we'd bid:
1♠ - 1NT
2NT - 3♣ (5+ in a minor)
3♦ - 4♣ (relay, 6♣ and max)
4♦ - 4♥
4♠ - 4NT
5♠ - 6♣
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#15 User is offline   ONEferBRID 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 835
  • Joined: 2009-May-03

Posted 2009-August-17, 17:54

gwnn, on Aug 17 2009, 10:05 AM, said:

What's your point ONEferBRID?

No point. I was too flummoxed as to realistically get to a 6C slam.... skaeran's auction notwithsatanding.
Don Stenmark ( TWOferBRIDGE )
0

#16 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-August-17, 18:26

Harald's auction is similar to the one we would have after a similar artificail response. I wonder if the 4S bidders will consider the 4S bid poor in light of the result? Was it really such a surprise to find short S opposite?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#17 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-18, 02:44

skaeran, on Aug 17 2009, 04:58 PM, said:

I'm rebidding 2NT, conventional GF.

With the actual responding hand we'd bid:
1♠ - 1NT
2NT - 3♣ (5+ in a minor)
3♦ - 4♣ (relay, 6♣ and max)
4♦ - 4♥
4♠ - 4NT
5♠ - 6♣

Is 3♦ totally forced? I would feel tempted to bid 3 spades. Specially if I can hold a balanced hand.
0

#18 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-August-18, 12:52

Fluffy, on Aug 18 2009, 10:44 AM, said:

skaeran, on Aug 17 2009, 04:58 PM, said:

I'm rebidding 2NT, conventional GF.

With the actual responding hand we'd bid:
1♠ - 1NT
2NT - 3♣ (5+ in a minor)
3♦ - 4♣ (relay, 6♣ and max)
4♦ - 4♥
4♠ - 4NT
5♠ - 6♣

Is 3♦ totally forced? I would feel tempted to bid 3 spades. Specially if I can hold a balanced hand.

No, 3♦ isn't forced at all, opener can drop the relay if he wants, and might elect to rebid 3♠ with the actual hand.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users