BBO Discussion Forums: Quick opening poll - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quick opening poll

Poll: Do you open/what do you open? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you open/what do you open?

  1. Pass (7 votes [17.95%])

    Percentage of vote: 17.95%

  2. 1S (5 votes [12.82%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.82%

  3. 2S (2 votes [5.13%])

    Percentage of vote: 5.13%

  4. 3S (11 votes [28.21%])

    Percentage of vote: 28.21%

  5. 4S (14 votes [35.90%])

    Percentage of vote: 35.90%

  6. some psyche (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,625
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-August-13, 18:39

First seat RvR

Scoring: MP

Wayne Somerville
0

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,005
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2009-August-13, 19:26

4♠, ready to apologize if needed
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#3 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-13, 19:35

jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 01:26 PM, said:

4♠, ready to apologize if needed

Does this mean you have or have not read the other thread about saying sorry ;)
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-13, 19:36

Call me a wimp but I am only bidding 2♠. 3♠ if not vulnerable, maybe 4♠ if favourable.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#5 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-13, 19:58

I have the master suit why should I get exited early?
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,005
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2009-August-13, 20:21

duplicate
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#7 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-August-13, 20:36

4♠
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-13, 20:41

pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 03:58 AM, said:

I have the master suit why should I get exited early?

because if you preempt early, it makes their lives extremely difficult. just passing wisely and then coming in or something like this doesn't.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#9 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-13, 20:50

Not sure there's such a thing about a 'bad' 8 card suit but 3 is enough.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#10 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-14, 08:35

gwnn, on Aug 13 2009, 09:41 PM, said:

pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 03:58 AM, said:

I have the master suit why should I get exited early?

because if you preempt early, it makes their lives extremely difficult. just passing wisely and then coming in or something like this doesn't.

If I didn't hold the K♥ and the AQ♣ I would agree with you. Why bid game when it might just be a part score battle?
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,005
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2009-August-14, 08:36

Cascade, on Aug 13 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 01:26 PM, said:

4♠, ready to apologize if needed

Does this mean you have or have not read the other thread about saying sorry :lol:

Seen it, not read it. Sorry
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#12 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-14, 08:39

jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 09:36 AM, said:

Cascade, on Aug 13 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 01:26 PM, said:

4♠, ready to apologize if needed

Does this mean you have or have not read the other thread about saying sorry :lol:

Seen it, not read it. Sorry

:D
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-14, 09:51

pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

gwnn, on Aug 13 2009, 09:41 PM, said:

pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 03:58 AM, said:

I have the master suit why should I get exited early?

because if you preempt early, it makes their lives extremely difficult. just passing wisely and then coming in or something like this doesn't.

If I didn't hold the K♥ and the AQ♣ I would agree with you. Why bid game when it might just be a part score battle?

I was just responding to your question which I perceived as general. I'm still not sure of 4 or 3 (or even 1, which is pretty bad though). I really dislike 0 spades though. I mean it's perfectly plausible that nobody can make any game, but with an 8 card suit it's still rather unlikely, wouldn't you say?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#14 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-August-14, 10:58

3♠ is enough. Even 3♠ may be too much.
0

#15 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-14, 11:52

gwnn, on Aug 14 2009, 10:51 AM, said:

pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

gwnn, on Aug 13 2009, 09:41 PM, said:

pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 03:58 AM, said:

I have the master suit why should I get exited early?

because if you preempt early, it makes their lives extremely difficult. just passing wisely and then coming in or something like this doesn't.

If I didn't hold the K♥ and the AQ♣ I would agree with you. Why bid game when it might just be a part score battle?

I was just responding to your question which I perceived as general. I'm still not sure of 4 or 3 (or even 1, which is pretty bad though). I really dislike 0 spades though. I mean it's perfectly plausible that nobody can make any game, but with an 8 card suit it's still rather unlikely, wouldn't you say?

Are you worried that the hand is going to get passed out? :)
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#16 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-August-14, 11:53

3♠
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#17 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-14, 12:19

I'm not worried it will get passed out. I'm worried that if I pass the auction will turn out bad for me, in any of the following ways:

-opps will start describing their hand. They will find fits they would not have found over my opening of 3 or 4 spade. They might find a good save or might find a making game.
-my partner has a reasonably strong hand and will never believe me I have 8. We might miss a slam here. If I disregard his judgment and just overbid, it is sad bridge and rates to lose.
-my partner has a reasonably strong hand but will get preempted (I guess this might be a subset of the former case but there I wanted to
-the auction might come back to me at too high a level. 1♣-(1♥)-5♣

Anyway, the general point is that I think "OK I'll pass now, maybe I will get more information or maybe I'll get a better chance of describing my hand" is losing bridge and I try not to adopt such a way of thinking. Of course say with a 5-5 majors and weak hand pass is correct because there is a very good chance I'll be able to describe it better. But with an 8 carder no thanks.

Writing this I decided I'll open 4♠. :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#18 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-August-14, 12:20

3S
0

#19 User is offline   kayin801 

  • Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 738
  • Joined: 2007-October-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Mass.

Posted 2009-August-14, 15:16

3♠, extra spade makes up for cruddy suit.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil ♥ sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1
0

#20 User is offline   neilkaz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,568
  • Joined: 2006-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Barrington IL USA
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2009-August-14, 16:50

3♠ for me..I don't care at all for a vul 4♠ lacking so many top honors in my suit and with decent side defence and noting 4♠ gets doubled quite often. I'd sooner open 2♠ than 4♠ but with an 8 bagger, I think it too wimpy to open 2♠.

Clear 3♠ for me.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users