BBO Discussion Forums: Run Forest? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Run Forest?

#1 User is offline   MFA 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,625
  • Joined: 2006-October-04
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 2009-August-14, 05:29

Scoring: IMP


(1♣) - 1♥ - (pass) - 2♥
(DBL) - pass - (pass) - ?

East passed 2♥X very quickly. But the pace of the match was generally high. Partner's overcalling style is 'modern'.

How about a fancy retreat to 2♠?
(Bonus-?: Do you agree with 2♥?)
Michael Askgaard
0

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-14, 06:10

2♥ is ok, I would normally retreat unless RHO is junior or a gambler.
0

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,005
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2009-August-14, 06:12

I wouldnt dream of bidding 2♠ now, I dont undestand how this is a consideration. Please explain.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-August-14, 06:13

Pass, agree with Kathryn.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#5 User is offline   shyams 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,868
  • Joined: 2009-August-02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-14, 06:22

I think West has 4-card spade (almost all the time) and East has 4-card heart (sometimes 5-card). If East had 3-card spade and 4-card heart, he may have at least considered bidding (possibly NT).

So partner should produce 1 or more spade cards. Running is not a bad option; and I am tempted to do it by bidding 2S. Who knows they might disagree on doubling 2S and play in 3N instead?
0

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-August-14, 06:22

jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 03:12 PM, said:

I wouldnt dream of bidding 2♠ now, I dont undestand how this is a consideration. Please explain.

I'm going to try to explain the rationale behind bidding 2♠. This is not the same as advocating a 2♠ with the hand in question.

(Please note: I am not sure what I would do now. I would have probably mentioned Spades over 1♥)

1. East had an easy pass of 2♥X. He did not call 1N on the previous round. This suggests that East is sitting on a hand that might very well have converted a reopening double at the one level. Moreover, the Heart suit is going to be breaking very badly.

2. The conditions of contest state that partner has a modern overcall style. Partner could easily be sititng on a four card heart suit (potentially even a mangy 4 card heart suit). Note: If partner has a four card heart suit, then opener might be able to pump a heart through declarer.

3. I have a six card suit. If I partner is declaring 2HX, I might be able to score a heart ruff. Maybe even two if the gods are smiling. However, those Spades are never going to score a trick. In contrast, if I declare 2♠, the spade suit will probably be worth some tricks.
Alderaan delenda est
0

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-14, 06:23

jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 12:12 PM, said:

I wouldnt dream of bidding 2♠ now, I dont undestand how this is a consideration. Please explain.

when your suit breaks badly intermediates might become golden, ♠10 and 9 will be almost as good as having AK with the difference that they only play in spades, not hearts.

passing and presenting a dummy that has 3 sure heart losers and no help anywhere except an ace and maybe being able to ruff third round of a minor is wrong IMO.
0

#8 User is offline   MFA 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,625
  • Joined: 2006-October-04
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 2009-August-14, 06:43

jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 02:12 PM, said:

I wouldnt dream of bidding 2♠ now, I dont undestand how this is a consideration. Please explain.

Damage control. The spade suit will give tricks if spades are trumps - not if hearts are trumps. Give partner ♠J (a nice card) out and we are only down 3 in 2♠. He might have more useful cards than that. 2♥X could potentially go for an unlimited number if they more or less can draw trumps against us.

--
Partner could have a crappy hand and/or a very crappy 5card suit. But I don't expect him to have only 4 hearts very often. If he does, he will have a good reason for overcalling.
Michael Askgaard
0

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-14, 07:15

2♠ for sure.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#10 User is offline   rd6789 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 98
  • Joined: 2009-August-03

Posted 2009-August-14, 07:21

For the bonus point - no can't agrre with 2♥ - you bypass a good 6 card ♠ suit and you don't want a ♥ lead if they play the hand.

If partner's modern style means overcalling on 4-card suits with a good hand you've really made life hard by raising.

If partner's modern style mean overcalling on rubbish at IMPs I suggest new partner.

I will stick in 2♥X - partner may be able to ruff a spade or two in hand and sort of cross ruff to 7 even 8 tricks even with poor hearts
richard
0

#11 User is offline   bid_em_up 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,351
  • Joined: 2006-March-21
  • Location:North Carolina

Posted 2009-August-14, 07:52

MFA, on Aug 14 2009, 06:29 AM, said:

How about a fancy retreat to 2♠?
(Bonus-?: Do you agree with 2♥?)

1) No.
2) No.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.
0

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-August-14, 08:04

I would not be in this position, as I would have bid 1♠ on the previous round (or passed 1♥).

Whether to run to 2♠ or stick it out in 2♥ is a decision that I could only make if I knew my partner. I accept the fact that partner could have 4 good hearts and overcall 1♥. I do not accept that he could have 4 mangy hearts. Maybe 5 mangy hearts, but not 4. Clearly, my hand is worth much more in spades than in hearts, but that doesn't mean that it is right to run to 2♠.
0

#13 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-14, 08:38

helene_t, on Aug 14 2009, 07:13 AM, said:

Pass, agree with Kathryn.

me three
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#14 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-14, 08:43

hrothgar, on Aug 14 2009, 07:22 AM, said:

I'm going to try to explain the rational behind bidding 2♠.

Championing the cause of the 'rational', now are you? :lol:

I would have bid 1♠ the first time. Now I'm stuck, but I'll join the rational and bid 2♠.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#15 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-August-14, 08:51

Phil, on Aug 14 2009, 05:43 PM, said:

hrothgar, on Aug 14 2009, 07:22 AM, said:

I'm going to try to explain the rational behind bidding 2♠.

Championing the cause of the 'rational', now are you? :lol:

I would have bid 1♠ the first time. Now I'm stuck, but I'll join the rational and bid 2♠.

Oops

Please add an "e" where appropriate
Alderaan delenda est
0

#16 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-August-14, 08:58

1) 2♠ now for me.

2) I might have bid 1♠, but 2♥ is fine too. (Of course Pass was not an option last round, 1♠ and 2♥ were the only plausible calls)
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#17 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,258
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2009-August-14, 09:20

MFA, on Aug 14 2009, 01:43 PM, said:

But I don't expect him to have only 4 hearts very often. If he does, he will have a good reason for overcalling.

Normally a good heart suit and a singleton spade :lol:

I'd have bid 1♠ originally but I'll certainly bid 2♠ now.

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#18 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-14, 11:11

The last time I saw someone run in a situation like this their partner re-retreated back to hearts telling them that retreat was clearly wrong.

2♥ is ok.

Its not great with three small and only 6 HCP. However I think it is too pessimistic to PASS with three-card support and two ruffing values. Basically I expect partner to raise my bids a lot so will almost never criticize a raise with a fit. My own standards are that I will raise an overcall at the one-level or two-levels with almost any 6 HCP and three trumps that is not 4-3-3-3. Occasionally there will be an exception say with a doubleton QJ or maybe even KQ. Or the other way with a 4-3-3-3 with trumps AQx.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#19 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-August-14, 11:55

We have a fit, we have ruffing value in the short trump hand, what else do you want? Pass!
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#20 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-August-14, 12:22

agree with 2H, 2S now.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users