Quick opening poll
#2
Posted 2009-August-13, 19:26
Bridge should be fun!
#3
Posted 2009-August-13, 19:35
jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 01:26 PM, said:
Does this mean you have or have not read the other thread about saying sorry
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#4
Posted 2009-August-13, 19:36
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#5
Posted 2009-August-13, 19:58
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#6
Posted 2009-August-13, 20:21
Bridge should be fun!
#7
Posted 2009-August-13, 20:36
#8
Posted 2009-August-13, 20:41
pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 03:58 AM, said:
because if you preempt early, it makes their lives extremely difficult. just passing wisely and then coming in or something like this doesn't.
George Carlin
#9
Posted 2009-August-13, 20:50
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#10
Posted 2009-August-14, 08:35
gwnn, on Aug 13 2009, 09:41 PM, said:
pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 03:58 AM, said:
because if you preempt early, it makes their lives extremely difficult. just passing wisely and then coming in or something like this doesn't.
If I didn't hold the K♥ and the AQ♣ I would agree with you. Why bid game when it might just be a part score battle?
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#11
Posted 2009-August-14, 08:36
Cascade, on Aug 13 2009, 06:35 PM, said:
jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 01:26 PM, said:
Does this mean you have or have not read the other thread about saying sorry
Seen it, not read it. Sorry
Bridge should be fun!
#12
Posted 2009-August-14, 08:39
jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 09:36 AM, said:
Cascade, on Aug 13 2009, 06:35 PM, said:
jillybean, on Aug 14 2009, 01:26 PM, said:
Does this mean you have or have not read the other thread about saying sorry
Seen it, not read it. Sorry
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#13
Posted 2009-August-14, 09:51
pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 04:35 PM, said:
gwnn, on Aug 13 2009, 09:41 PM, said:
pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 03:58 AM, said:
because if you preempt early, it makes their lives extremely difficult. just passing wisely and then coming in or something like this doesn't.
If I didn't hold the K♥ and the AQ♣ I would agree with you. Why bid game when it might just be a part score battle?
I was just responding to your question which I perceived as general. I'm still not sure of 4 or 3 (or even 1, which is pretty bad though). I really dislike 0 spades though. I mean it's perfectly plausible that nobody can make any game, but with an 8 card suit it's still rather unlikely, wouldn't you say?
George Carlin
#15
Posted 2009-August-14, 11:52
gwnn, on Aug 14 2009, 10:51 AM, said:
pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 04:35 PM, said:
gwnn, on Aug 13 2009, 09:41 PM, said:
pooltuna, on Aug 14 2009, 03:58 AM, said:
because if you preempt early, it makes their lives extremely difficult. just passing wisely and then coming in or something like this doesn't.
If I didn't hold the K♥ and the AQ♣ I would agree with you. Why bid game when it might just be a part score battle?
I was just responding to your question which I perceived as general. I'm still not sure of 4 or 3 (or even 1, which is pretty bad though). I really dislike 0 spades though. I mean it's perfectly plausible that nobody can make any game, but with an 8 card suit it's still rather unlikely, wouldn't you say?
Are you worried that the hand is going to get passed out?
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#16
Posted 2009-August-14, 11:53
#17
Posted 2009-August-14, 12:19
-opps will start describing their hand. They will find fits they would not have found over my opening of 3 or 4 spade. They might find a good save or might find a making game.
-my partner has a reasonably strong hand and will never believe me I have 8. We might miss a slam here. If I disregard his judgment and just overbid, it is sad bridge and rates to lose.
-my partner has a reasonably strong hand but will get preempted (I guess this might be a subset of the former case but there I wanted to
-the auction might come back to me at too high a level. 1♣-(1♥)-5♣
Anyway, the general point is that I think "OK I'll pass now, maybe I will get more information or maybe I'll get a better chance of describing my hand" is losing bridge and I try not to adopt such a way of thinking. Of course say with a 5-5 majors and weak hand pass is correct because there is a very good chance I'll be able to describe it better. But with an 8 carder no thanks.
Writing this I decided I'll open 4♠.
George Carlin
#19
Posted 2009-August-14, 15:16
East4Evil ♥ sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1
#20
Posted 2009-August-14, 16:50
Clear 3♠ for me.

Help
