BBO Discussion Forums: 8hcp opposite 2C - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8hcp opposite 2C

#21 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-August-12, 21:16

is anyone else concerned that while we quantify instead of searching for a suit, the opps might run a whole bunch of spades?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#22 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,245
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-August-12, 21:41

I can only repeat, KISS.


3nt


if you love this hand then 4nt...
0

#23 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-12, 21:49

KISS isn't so effective when any slam is likely to be based on a trump fit.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-13, 02:08

Why is everyone so convinced that partner has 23?, if 2♣ is GF it should show 24+ (maybe 28)
0

#25 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

  Posted 2009-August-13, 02:23

2NT showed 23-24.
4♣ over 3NT is natural.

I invited with 4NT , pd passed with :
AQJ
Axx
Kxx
AKQ9

♠ finesse was offisde , so slam was not making.

Other table had a misunderstanding:
2♣-2♦
2NT-3♣
3NT-4♣
4♦-5NT
7♣

4♦ was intended as a cue, but partner was not sure, and bid 5NT as choice of slams. Opener thought that is GSF , and bid 7♣. They were happy to go down 2 :rolleyes:
0

#26 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-13, 07:29

mike777, on Aug 12 2009, 10:41 PM, said:

I can only repeat, KISS.


3nt


if you love this hand then 4nt...

AMEN!!!!
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#27 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-August-13, 13:58

I agree with Mike on keeping it simple, but not being stupid.

3♣ over 2NT is very obvious, and very simple. Over 3NT I prefer a raise to 4NT over a natural 4♣, but this is close.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#28 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-August-14, 08:53

4NT, but only because the hand has gone up in value since I learned that partner has no 4-card major.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users