BBO Discussion Forums: Fit, but will you let partner know it? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fit, but will you let partner know it?

#1 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-August-11, 02:01

Scoring: IMP


(P) - P - (1NT) - 3♥;
(Dbl) - ?

1. Are you raising partner?

2. If you pass, it continues:

(P) - P - (1NT) - 3♥;
(Dbl) - P - (3S) - (P);
(4S) - ?

Do you double?

3. If you bid 4♥, it goes:

(P) - P - (1NT) - 3♥;
(Dbl) - 4♥ - (4S) - P;
(P) - ?

Do you double?
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#2 User is offline   ochinko 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 647
  • Joined: 2004-May-27
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Cooking

Posted 2009-August-11, 03:30

I am raising partner to 4♥. When there is little chance of winning the contract the purpose of the raising is to show a top honor so that partner knows she can lead in the suit safely.

Call me a chicken but I don''t double in any of the cases. Dummy is void in ♥ after all. Where are the setting tricks going to come from?
0

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-11, 03:36

double!!!! (they will not make overtricks probably)

I would not raise but it is close.
0

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-August-11, 03:42

Yeah 4♥ support with support.

First case I double, second one not as they are more likely to run to 5♣.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#5 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-11, 07:34

Echognome, on Aug 11 2009, 03:01 AM, said:

Scoring: IMP


(P) - P - (1NT) - 3♥;
(Dbl) - ?

1. Are you raising partner?

2. If you pass, it continues:

(P) - P - (1NT) - 3♥;
(Dbl) - P - (3S) - (P);
(4S) - ?

Do you double?

3. If you bid 4♥, it goes:

(P) - P - (1NT) - 3♥;
(Dbl) - 4♥ - (4S) - P;
(P) - ?

Do you double?

1) why not! 7♥ ought to be about right

2) No, partner looks like either the 53rd or 54th card in the deck.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#6 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-August-11, 07:35

I would raise (hoping to make it). I would not double.
0

#7 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2009-August-11, 18:08

Echognome, on Aug 11 2009, 03:01 AM, said:

Scoring: IMP


(P) - P - (1NT) - 3♥;
(Dbl) - ?
1. Are you raising partner?
2. If you pass, it continues:
(P) - P - (1NT) - 3♥;
(Dbl) - P - (3S) - (P);
(4S) - ?
Do you double?
3. If you bid 4♥, it goes:
(P) - P - (1NT) - 3♥;
(Dbl) - 4♥ - (4S) - P;
(P) - ?
Do you double?
IMO
  • Over 3♥ (X), raise to 4♥ = 10, _P = 4.
  • If you pass, then over 4♠, _X = 10, _P = 8. They have bid and supported ♠ so they are unlikely to run.
  • If you raise to 4♥, then over 4♠, _P = 10, _X = 8. They may be able to make game or slam in ♣ but, now, _X may be the gypsy's warning.

0

#8 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-August-12, 01:29

I would pass and double.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#9 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,162
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-August-12, 02:08

#1 4H
#2 X
#3 X

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-12, 06:19

I wouldn't bid 4♥ opposite me.

I wouldn't double in any auction, partly because they may be in a 4-3 fit and the double might persuade them to run, but mainly because I don't have enough defence.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#11 User is offline   MFA 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,625
  • Joined: 2006-October-04
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 2009-August-14, 05:35

I don't understand not raising. Why not? Please explain, I really don't get it.

I would most likely not double, but I'm not very brave in that department.
Michael Askgaard
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users