BBO Discussion Forums: Opening Lead from National Swiss - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening Lead from National Swiss

#21 User is offline   Humper 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 2009-August-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charlottesville, VA

Posted 2009-August-08, 18:34

I was the declarer at the other table going down 1 in two spades opposite four spades doubled making (this was obviously a surprise!)

South led the NINE of clubs. I asked the opponents about their leads and they said "standard". The card confirmed this. The lead looked like shortness to me so I played the ace, and that got RUFFED. I lost the club ruff, the club king, the heart king, and three trump tricks. I asked about the lead AGAIN after the hand was over, and the leader confirmed that they play standard leads and he "just decided" to lead the 9 from KT9xxx this time. Oh well.

Despite looking pretty silly for getting three tricks less than the other declarer, I have utmost sympathy for what happened to Adam at the other table.
He's showing a four-by-five... with a three-card-suit... sometimes.
0

#22 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-August-08, 23:23

Agree that partner should not overcall...what is the point?
0

#23 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-August-10, 13:07

Even for a light 1-level overcaller like me, 1♥ looks pretty stupid. What's the point?

And for those talking about 2NT - that's ridiculous!
Kind regards,
Harald
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users