BBO Discussion Forums: Quackers - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quackers

Poll: you bid ? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

you bid ?

  1. 1. pass (11 votes [32.35%])

    Percentage of vote: 32.35%

  2. 2. x (17 votes [50.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

  3. 3. 2c (6 votes [17.65%])

    Percentage of vote: 17.65%

  4. 4. other (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   ghow 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: 2005-December-02

Posted 2009-August-04, 10:57

w. v. r u hold Q98 QJ2 QJ AQ642 rho bids 1!d
0

#2 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-04, 11:32

X gets the hand off your chest for the rest of the auction
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-04, 13:11

I agree with the tuna.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-04, 13:35

Agree with tuna too.
0

#5 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-04, 19:20

IMPs or MPs?

I am inclined to PASS.

This hand looks defensive to me.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#6 User is offline   nigel_k 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,207
  • Joined: 2009-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wellington, NZ

Posted 2009-August-04, 20:07

Pass. I'll balance over 2♦ but an initial double is too likely to encourage partner to continue over their 3♦ when that is wrong.

It's equal to Q98 QJ2 32 AQ642 and considerably worse than Q982 QJ32 32 AQ2, which is still only a minimum double.
0

#7 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-August-04, 21:31

I seriously LOL at how much people downgrade stuff like QJ tight when the opps overcall a suit or something, but when they simply open one of a minor it is now worth 0 points????? Get real!
0

#8 User is offline   benlessard 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2006-January-07
  • Location:Montreal Canada
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2009-August-04, 22:10

WTP double
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
0

#9 User is offline   nigel_k 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,207
  • Joined: 2009-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wellington, NZ

Posted 2009-August-04, 23:06

Jlall, on Aug 4 2009, 10:31 PM, said:

I seriously LOL at how much people downgrade stuff like QJ tight when the opps overcall a suit or something, but when they simply open one of a minor it is now worth 0 points????? Get real!

It's not worth zero points if we're considering 3NT or something similar, but for the purposes of deciding whether to make a takeout double in this situation the QJ is worth next to nothing. Competitive decisions are based on offensive/defensive differential not just a count of our side's assets.

If partner has a five card major and some values and they compete to 3♦ he is going to get it wrong if I double with this hand.

I might have valued the QJ as negative on the grounds that opponents will have more elsewhere when missing QJ of their suit, plus it has a better chance of scoring a trick on defence than offense. I took a rosy view and just counted it as zero :)
0

#10 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-August-05, 00:36

Overcall 2C. This takes up a lot more room than a double.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-August-05, 04:41

2♣ at IMPs. Not sure what to do at matchpoints.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#12 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-August-05, 08:06

Double, not sure which of Pass and 2♣ I dislike more.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#13 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-August-05, 08:18

655321, on Aug 5 2009, 09:06 AM, said:

Double, not sure which of Pass and 2♣ I dislike more.

2C has to be worse!
0

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-05, 08:26

Jlall, on Aug 5 2009, 02:18 PM, said:

655321, on Aug 5 2009, 09:06 AM, said:

Double, not sure which of Pass and 2♣ I dislike more.

2C has to be worse!

Thank you, I was starting to feel sick hearing all those club bids.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users