• You cannot reply to this topic

Bermuda Bowl 2009 Sao Paulo

#41 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-August-12, 07:22

theli, on Aug 12 2009, 07:16 AM, said:

i really think it is a pity that some of the best pairs in the world prefer not to take place in the most prestigious tournament. are the prizes and the sponsor money in the transnationals so much better than the prizes in the BB that they prefer to play there?

There are no direct money prizes for achivements in the BB. Maybe particular national federations or their sponsors pay bonus in case of success.

B-Z resigned from the national team after +- 20 years of playing. Many in my country get away with criticism and judgement on this, forgetting how much these both players have done for Polish teams and development of the game in Poland during past decades.

Robert
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#42 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-30, 10:21

The_Hog, on Aug 4 2009, 05:54 AM, said:

nickf, on Aug 4 2009, 05:12 PM, said:

The_Hog, on Aug 4 2009, 04:11 PM, said:

This team (Australia) would be hard pressed to win a State championship.

I think that's a mild overbid but I'll be surprised if they qualify.

nickf
sydney

Hi Nick, seriously don't you think this is the worst team to ever represent Australia?

The performance in only one short match says not so much...but at least a "dream start" vs USA1, wd Australia!

Robert

#43 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-30, 13:30

Aberlour10, on Aug 12 2009, 08:22 AM, said:

i really think it is a pity that some of the best pairs in the world prefer not to take place in the most prestigious tournament. are the prizes and the sponsor money in the transnationals so much better than the prizes in the BB that they prefer to play there?

There are no direct money prizes for achivements in the BB. Maybe particular national federations or their sponsors pay bonus in case of success.

B-Z resigned from the national team after +- 20 years of playing. Many in my country get away with criticism and judgement on this, forgetting how much these both players have done for Polish teams and development of the game in Poland during past decades.

Robert

I also find it a pity that so many of the world's strongest pairs are missing in the BB - but I don't meam that as a criticism of H-H or B-Z. Just as a regret that the most prestigious world championship isn't even the strongest tournament taking place this year.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#44 User is offline   bidule4 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-August-30, 14:08

cherdanno, on Aug 30 2009, 02:30 PM, said:

Robert

I also find it a pity that so many of the world's strongest pairs are missing in the BB - but I don't meam that as a criticism of H-H or B-Z. Just as a regret that the most prestigious world championship isn't even the strongest tournament taking place this year.

Which tournament was stronger ?
yvan calame

#45 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-30, 15:10

bidule4, on Aug 30 2009, 03:08 PM, said:

Which tournament was stronger ?

Vanderbilt and Spingold.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#46 User is offline   MFA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-30, 15:35

cherdanno, on Aug 30 2009, 09:30 PM, said:

Robert

I agree it's sad if some of the best pairs doesn't play the BB.

"So many" seems like an overstatement, when the actual number is 2. Or do you know of any apart from BZ and HH?

One could even argue that BZ are Poles, never have played for Russia in an event such as this before, and were ineligible for the qualifications in Pau. So not really unnatural not to see them in the Russian team in Sao Paulo.

Also HH would have been ineligible, had they wanted to play. Helgemo's quarantine expires September 1st, so he couldn't have been selected for the team anyway.

While the nationals might have a stronger field since it's deeper, it's an unfair comparison, since the tournaments (BB ct. nationals) are different species. In the BB only one team per country can play, so one has to remember the long qualification process for the pairs/teams before being able to participate at all. In the nationals any slaughter lamb can just write his name on the entry list, if he likes.
Michael Askgaard

#47 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-30, 15:42

Yes, it may be true that a very few tournaments have a stronger field. But this tends to be inevitable given the nature of the tournament (strong regions only have a relatively few teams etc). This does not alter the fact that the winners will have beaten the best that can be thrown at them through the tournament + qualifying process.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#48 User is offline   cRi cRi 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-August-31, 03:42

Sadek and el ahmadi are not playing either, and I think, are world class.

#49 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-30, 07:48

MFA, on Aug 30 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

One could even argue that BZ are Poles, never have played for Russia in an event such as this before, and were ineligible for the qualifications in Pau. So not really unnatural not to see them in the Russian team in Sao Paulo.

It seems B-Z are going to play for Team Poland once again. I have just read the official communique of The Polish Bridge Union. The captain of the team open appointed them (together with Buras-Narkiewicz) for the Europeans 2010 in Ostend.

Robert

#50 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-30, 11:00

Aberlour10, on Dec 30 2009, 01:48 PM, said:

MFA, on Aug 30 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

It seems B-Z are going to play for Team Poland once again. I have just read the official communique of The Polish Bridge Union. The captain of the team open appointed them (together with Buras-Narkiewicz) for the Europeans 2010 in Ostend.

Robert

Good news for those of us who want to see one of the top pairs in the world playing rather than sitting on the sidelines.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users