Page 1 of 1
Another opening lead This time it is IMPs
#2
Posted 2009-August-02, 08:01
♦ seems obvious. Why didn't you include "high ♦" and "low ♦"? That's way more interesting imo!
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
#3
Posted 2009-August-02, 08:18
Isn't ♦ a passive lead? Does this bidding suggest such a lead? I chose a heart, might as well try to defeat this contract by creating tricks in hearts by leading the Jack.
Of course I could just wait for 5 tricks to rain on me. And I guess you could expect one of those tricks to come from ♦'s. I don't know what's correct or standard anyway.
Of course I could just wait for 5 tricks to rain on me. And I guess you could expect one of those tricks to come from ♦'s. I don't know what's correct or standard anyway.
wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:
Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.
rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:
Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win
My YouTube Channel
#4
Posted 2009-August-02, 08:33
The nice intermediates ask for a passive lead, but the 4333 asks for action. Wich one is stronger? I don't know, but I have seen diamonds being the action lead before, so I'll go with one.
of course we lead 10 or 9 of diamonds (systemic), we don't wanna block the suit if partner has 5.
of course we lead 10 or 9 of diamonds (systemic), we don't wanna block the suit if partner has 5.
#5
Posted 2009-August-02, 19:24
Seems like if I make an attacking lead and I'm wrong that's probably the end of the defense. If I make a passive lead (DT) and I'm wrong, most of the time they won't have 9 fast tricks and I might be able to recover.
There are probably 3 ways to beat this:
1. We can set up diamonds (eg declarer is 3325 and dummy 4423)
2. We can take run a major plus maybe a wash trick somewhere else (HAxxxx or SKxxxx maybe with the HT or SJ).
3. We go passive and declarer cannot generate 9 tricks without creating 5 losers.
Diamond lead caters to 1 and 3, and keeps 2 in the game, so that's my choice. Note also that the sexy HJ lead might blow up the hand when partner understandably fails to duck with Axxxx (dummy Qxx, hand Tx or so).
There are probably 3 ways to beat this:
1. We can set up diamonds (eg declarer is 3325 and dummy 4423)
2. We can take run a major plus maybe a wash trick somewhere else (HAxxxx or SKxxxx maybe with the HT or SJ).
3. We go passive and declarer cannot generate 9 tricks without creating 5 losers.
Diamond lead caters to 1 and 3, and keeps 2 in the game, so that's my choice. Note also that the sexy HJ lead might blow up the hand when partner understandably fails to duck with Axxxx (dummy Qxx, hand Tx or so).
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
#6
Posted 2009-August-02, 21:33
The opponents have the balance of strength and I'm looking at random defensive tricks scattered everywhere. Put me down for an easy diamond lead.
- Andy -
We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
#7
Posted 2009-August-03, 13:53
Scoring: XIMP
Partner led the D10. Declarer's line: win DJ, cross to CA, Dx to declarer's A, finesse the C10, CA finds the 3-3, DK, DQ, H to A, 13th club & concede the rest. The contract was played by West on most tables and my hand had an easy spade lead for -1.
Any comments on declarer line of play? Is it not better to play a heart to dummy at trick 2 hoping that South will duck or win but not find the spade switch?
#8
Posted 2009-August-03, 14:18
A heart to dummy's Q would be very strange. For a start it's only the 8th trick. Also, if it loses to north's K there will be 0,00% chance of not getting a spade shift.
No, I think it's quite obvious for declarer to try for his legitimate chance of ♣ to the T.
No, I think it's quite obvious for declarer to try for his legitimate chance of ♣ to the T.
Michael Askgaard
#9
Posted 2009-August-03, 16:50
Obvious ♦ lead and declarer obviously played it right.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
Page 1 of 1

Help

You are South
1NT* - p - 2C - p
2D - p - 3NT - end
1NT described as 10½ to 13 balanced.
Opps do not open 1NT with 5-card major