BBO Discussion Forums: Nice hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nice hand First a lead problem...

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-July-22, 19:09

You get this hand:

♠AKQx
♥9x
♦Qx
♣QJ9xx

It goes:
Pa Pa 1♠ 2♣
Pa 2♦ 2♥ 3♥
Pa 4♦ Pa Pa
4♥ Pa Pa Pa

What's your lead?
(What do you play 3♥ to mean? Would you have bid 3♠ in your methods?)

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#2 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-July-23, 00:39

♥x.

We have 3 suits covered... the only way they can make tricks is thru ruffs/cross-ruffs.
0

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-23, 01:57

agree with sam.

when the opponents bid 2 or more suits naturally you bid naturally: the one you stop. So 2♠ would be the bid, not 3♥. Not sure how standard this is.
0

#4 User is offline   jullman 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 2009-July-16

Posted 2009-July-23, 20:00

I agree with the lead. Also agree with Fluffy that I would bid 2S to show the one I have.
0

#5 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-July-23, 20:47



No way to go down in 4♥, is there? I played 4♦ in E/W, anyway but I thought it was interesting.

(Except for ♦ or small ♠ and ♦ lead)

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#6 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-July-24, 00:23

I had lead a heart too, obvious.

And it was okay to bid 3♥ if this was meant as asking for a stopper. There is no advantage (or disadvantage) in playing stopper showing or stopper asking.
Just be on the same wavelength with partner. (Actually there is a small advantage if you play stopper asking, even with two open suits, but the main point is to play it the same way as partner does.)
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,485
  • Joined: 2009-July-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 2009-July-24, 03:57

Codo, on Jul 24 2009, 07:23 AM, said:

There is no advantage (or disadvantage) in playing stopper showing or stopper asking.

The disadvantage in playing stopper asking is in giving them a free chance to double to show support/tolerance.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK
0

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-July-24, 09:05

Could someone explain something to me?

I hold a reasonable, but not great, 14 count with 4-5 in the blacks. Third seat on my right opens 1♠, I overcall 2♣ on a very mediocre suit (not that the 2♣ bid is wrong, it is just not anything to write home about), and, after LHO passes, my passed hand partner bids 2♦. My RHO bids 2♥.

Why am I bidding 3♥? Why am I bidding anything? This is a clear cut pass.

What am I missing here?
0

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-24, 09:35

ArtK78, on Jul 24 2009, 10:05 AM, said:

Could someone explain something to me?

I hold a reasonable, but not great, 14 count with 4-5 in the blacks.  Third seat on my right opens 1♠, I overcall 2♣ on a very mediocre suit (not that the 2♣ bid is wrong, it is just not anything to write home about), and, after LHO passes, my passed hand partner bids 2♦.  My RHO bids 2♥.

Why am I bidding 3♥?  Why am I bidding anything?  This is a clear cut pass.

What am I missing here?

Why, indeed. The vulnerability is not stated, but if I had kept my mouth shut instead of bidding 3H or 3S, partner's 4D call might have seemed more like it really was, and we would be in 5D over 4H, unless unfavorable.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#10 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-July-24, 09:43

Moreover, why did partner pass initially?
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-24, 11:51

Echognome, on Jul 24 2009, 10:43 AM, said:

Moreover, why did partner pass initially?

that is easy....Partner believes opening 3D would show that hand, and would rather use the bid with fewer or worse diamonds, or outside strength, or both---so that all 3 other people at the table are in the dark.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users