Nice hand First a lead problem...
#1
Posted 2009-July-22, 19:09
♠AKQx
♥9x
♦Qx
♣QJ9xx
It goes:
Pa Pa 1♠ 2♣
Pa 2♦ 2♥ 3♥
Pa 4♦ Pa Pa
4♥ Pa Pa Pa
What's your lead?
(What do you play 3♥ to mean? Would you have bid 3♠ in your methods?)
wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:
rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:
My YouTube Channel
#2
Posted 2009-July-23, 00:39
We have 3 suits covered... the only way they can make tricks is thru ruffs/cross-ruffs.
#3
Posted 2009-July-23, 01:57
when the opponents bid 2 or more suits naturally you bid naturally: the one you stop. So 2♠ would be the bid, not 3♥. Not sure how standard this is.
#4
Posted 2009-July-23, 20:00
#5
Posted 2009-July-23, 20:47
No way to go down in 4♥, is there? I played 4♦ in E/W, anyway but I thought it was interesting.
(Except for ♦ or small ♠ and ♦ lead)
wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:
rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:
My YouTube Channel
#6
Posted 2009-July-24, 00:23
And it was okay to bid 3♥ if this was meant as asking for a stopper. There is no advantage (or disadvantage) in playing stopper showing or stopper asking.
Just be on the same wavelength with partner. (Actually there is a small advantage if you play stopper asking, even with two open suits, but the main point is to play it the same way as partner does.)
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
#7
Posted 2009-July-24, 03:57
Codo, on Jul 24 2009, 07:23 AM, said:
The disadvantage in playing stopper asking is in giving them a free chance to double to show support/tolerance.
London UK
#8
Posted 2009-July-24, 09:05
I hold a reasonable, but not great, 14 count with 4-5 in the blacks. Third seat on my right opens 1♠, I overcall 2♣ on a very mediocre suit (not that the 2♣ bid is wrong, it is just not anything to write home about), and, after LHO passes, my passed hand partner bids 2♦. My RHO bids 2♥.
Why am I bidding 3♥? Why am I bidding anything? This is a clear cut pass.
What am I missing here?
#9
Posted 2009-July-24, 09:35
ArtK78, on Jul 24 2009, 10:05 AM, said:
I hold a reasonable, but not great, 14 count with 4-5 in the blacks. Third seat on my right opens 1♠, I overcall 2♣ on a very mediocre suit (not that the 2♣ bid is wrong, it is just not anything to write home about), and, after LHO passes, my passed hand partner bids 2♦. My RHO bids 2♥.
Why am I bidding 3♥? Why am I bidding anything? This is a clear cut pass.
What am I missing here?
Why, indeed. The vulnerability is not stated, but if I had kept my mouth shut instead of bidding 3H or 3S, partner's 4D call might have seemed more like it really was, and we would be in 5D over 4H, unless unfavorable.
#10
Posted 2009-July-24, 09:43
#11
Posted 2009-July-24, 11:51
Echognome, on Jul 24 2009, 10:43 AM, said:
that is easy....Partner believes opening 3D would show that hand, and would rather use the bid with fewer or worse diamonds, or outside strength, or both---so that all 3 other people at the table are in the dark.

Help
