BBO Discussion Forums: another thin reopening - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

another thin reopening

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-19, 12:13

♠2
♥Q853
♦A1064
♣Q643

IMPs, South dealer, All vulnerable, the bidding went like these at both tables:

pass-(3♠)-pass-(pass)
??


pass-(2♠)-pass-(pass)
??
0

#2 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-July-19, 12:38

Thin would be one description.
0

#3 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-19, 13:21

I would reopen over 2 but not 3.
0

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-19, 14:24

Its not a thin reopening for me.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#5 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-July-19, 15:10

A clear reopening over 2♠ IMO.

It's more borderline over 3♠. Personally I'd most probably pass.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#6 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-July-19, 21:52

I would double on both auctions.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-19, 22:10

Definitely 2 and probably not 3 seems about right.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#8 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-July-19, 23:18

Sometimes the thieves win.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
0

#9 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-July-20, 01:14

Didn't they say: 3 never two ever?
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#10 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-July-20, 01:30

Fluffy, on Jul 20 2009, 01:13 AM, said:

♠2
♥Q853
♦A1064
♣Q643

IMPs, South dealer, All vulnerable, the bidding went like these at both tables:

pass-(3♠)-pass-(pass)
??


pass-(2♠)-pass-(pass)
??

So you double and they make their 2S, or ypur partner bids 3NT on his balanced 14 count. Oh well, just antoher bad board, yes?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-20, 07:52

what happened was 2♠ +100, 3♠X +800 after my awful results reopening thin latelly vulnerable I think this ine finally compensated a bit :rolleyes:
0

#12 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-20, 08:40

[quote name='The_Hog' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:30 AM'] [pass-(2[sp])-pass-(pass)
?? [/QUOTE]
So you double and they make their 2S, or ypur partner bids 3NT on his balanced 14 count. Oh well, just antoher bad board, yes? [/quote]
I'm on record as saying, "I don't balance against weak 2's", but because we are a passed hand I think it is safe, and I have found myself breaking this rule a lot over the last year.

Ron, a 14 count is very specific here. It would be a hand weak enough for initial action, but strong enough to go nuts over our reopening. Its quite possible partner has a penalty pass with that hand type too.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#13 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-July-20, 08:51

Phil, on Jul 20 2009, 09:40 AM, said:

I'm on record as saying, "I don't balance against weak 2's", but because we are a passed hand I think it is safe, and I have found myself breaking this rule a lot over the last year.

Mmm yes, but don't just break this rule. Throw it away, preferably far enough away that you never find it again.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#14 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-20, 10:54

655321, on Jul 20 2009, 09:51 AM, said:

Phil, on Jul 20 2009, 09:40 AM, said:

I'm on record as saying, "I don't balance against weak 2's", but because we are a passed hand I think it is safe, and I have found myself breaking this rule a lot over the last year.

Mmm yes, but don't just break this rule. Throw it away, preferably far enough away that you never find it again.

lol yeah what kinda rule is that, especially from pclayton the balancing master!
0

#15 User is offline   benlessard 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2006-January-07
  • Location:Montreal Canada
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2009-July-22, 12:37

Double 2S at imps is not my bid but at the 3level its simply nonsense.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
0

#16 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-July-22, 13:15

I agree with the panel - reopen with a double over 2♠ but not over 3♠.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users