BBO Discussion Forums: thin reopening - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

thin reopening AK and right shape

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-11, 16:49

♠2
♥9842
♦AK754
♣1083

Vul N-S, dealer east

(pass)-pass-(2♠)-pass
(pass)-???
0

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-July-11, 16:57

if i don't, who will? Haven't had much success passing here, but this one is just about the bottom. I double.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

#3 User is offline   effervesce 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 885
  • Joined: 2007-March-28

Posted 2009-July-12, 01:34

A queen more and I would reopen. But I pass with this hand.
Ming

--Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.
0

#4 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-July-12, 12:53

Must double
Kevin Fay
0

#5 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-12, 14:06

kfay, on Jul 13 2009, 06:53 AM, said:

Must double

Otherwise we will miss game when partner has a balanced 14 count.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-12, 15:19

I double because I think the most likely hand for partner is a penalty pass, and it is probably one with good values so I think we will get a penalty.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#7 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-12, 16:44

Thin, but yes.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-12, 17:56

Thx for the replies, double was not the winner today, because it put a weak partner again into play, who made the wrong decision :/.


♠KJ9x
♥AKxx
♦-
♣KJ9xx

I think passing then bidding 4♥ is inconsistent, if you pass oyu have to pass the double, or maybe I am being biased. 4♥ down 1, 3 clubs makes, spades makes 5 or 6 tricks.
0

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-12, 18:22

jdonn, on Jul 13 2009, 09:19 AM, said:

I double because I think the most likely hand for partner is a penalty pass, and it is probably one with good values so I think we will get a penalty.

I think this will depend on how often the particular opponent raises and on what sort of hands and the style of their weak twos.

Nevertheless I would think that "most likely" is what you would call an "overbid".
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-12, 20:33

Cascade, on Jul 12 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

Nevertheless I would think that "most likely" is what you would call an "overbid".

Strongly disagree.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#11 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,235
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-12, 20:55

Fluffy, on Jul 11 2009, 05:49 PM, said:

♠2
♥9842
♦AK754
♣1083

Vul N-S, dealer east

(pass)-pass-(2♠)-pass
(pass)-???

Pass

Now I will read the posts and see why my wtp was wrong :)
0

#12 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-12, 20:59

Don't you think vulnerable against not that there will be a strong incentive for partner to bid 3NT with 13-14 balanced.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#13 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-July-12, 21:02

Cascade, on Jul 12 2009, 09:59 PM, said:

Don't you think vulnerable against not that there will be a strong incentive for partner to bid 3NT with 13-14 balanced.

Opposite a passed partner?
0

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-12, 21:11

Cascade, on Jul 12 2009, 09:59 PM, said:

Don't you think vulnerable against not that there will be a strong incentive for partner to bid 3NT with 13-14 balanced.

Maybe but all I said is I believe partner's most likely hand type is a penalty pass.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#15 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-12, 21:20

jdonn, on Jul 13 2009, 02:33 PM, said:

Cascade, on Jul 12 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

Nevertheless I would think that "most likely" is what you would call an "overbid".

Strongly disagree.

I have been doing some simulations and partner normally has three or four spades without a clear pass. And this is after RHO raises with some hands with three trumps. Only passes with weakish hands with some 4-3-3-3 or 4-4-3-2 or maybe 5-3-3-2.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#16 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-12, 21:21

... and some of the hands where partner has a penalty pass we are only getting 100 or the opponents can run to a safer haven.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#17 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-12, 21:41

What is wrong with getting 100? It's nothing special, but it's certainly not an argument against doubling since it works better than passing on those hands.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#18 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-12, 21:45

jdonn, on Jul 13 2009, 03:41 PM, said:

What is wrong with getting 100? It's nothing special, but it's certainly not an argument against doubling since it works better than passing on those hands.

Nothing except you need a lot of them to make up for the -470s.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#19 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-12, 21:51

All I'm saying is in that case your argument should have been "and some of the hands where partner has a penalty pass we are going -470" instead of "and some of the hands where partner has a penalty pass we are only getting 100". You made an argument in favor of doubling.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#20 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-12, 22:28

The first ten hands off my simulation with a bit of eyeballing.

Take from it whatever you will ...

♠ A108xx ♥ KQx ♦ Jx ♣ xxx -470 (unless you don't pass with this)

♠ QJ98 ♥ AJ76 ♦ 86 ♣ AJ7 +100 if you pass -100/200/500 if you bid 4♥ (+140/-100 for 3♥)

♠ AQ108 ♥ QJx ♦ 9x ♣ Kxxx -470 or -100 or more if you bid 3♣

♠ K108x ♥ AKx ♦ Q9xx ♣ Jx -470 (if this is a pass) -200 at least in 3NT, +110 in 3♦

♠ AT976 ♥ KT ♦ 6 ♣ KJ964 -470 unless somehow you can get four trump tricks. Maybe make 3♣

♠ A764 ♥ AKJx ♦ 1098 ♣ Jx 9 tricks in spades, 8 tricks in hearts

♠ 10973 ♥ AKx ♦ Qx ♣ AJxx 2♠ is down one and 3♣ is five tricks + however many trumps you can get -they are Qx opposite Kxxx

♠ K87x ♥ Ax ♦ JTx ♣ AQ9x maybe +300 (but are you really passing with this stack) maybe only +100 I think 3♣ will make

♠ KJ763 ♥ Tx ♦ x ♣ AJ762 -470/+100 (we need three trump tricks to beat it) 3♣ probably makes
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users