BBO Discussion Forums: One I got right - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One I got right

#1 User is offline   karlson 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 974
  • Joined: 2005-April-06

Posted 2009-July-17, 17:54

Scoring: IMP

1♠-x-xx-3♦
4♠-ppp


Lefty cashes the ♦A and switches to a trump.
0

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-July-17, 18:22

I think we need clubs 3-3 and spades 2-2 (or short spades with two clubs) for ruffing the clubs high for a heart discard. I think a squeeze has better chances. W must have ♣QJ and ♥A.

I win ♠A and duck a heart. Opps must play trump again. Now I play the trumps. With 5 cards left, W must preserve something like ♥ AJ and ♣ QJx. I play the last trump. He discards ♥J. I play a small heart and ♣A is an entry for ♥K.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#3 User is offline   quiddity 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,099
  • Joined: 2008-November-21

Posted 2009-July-18, 01:23

helene_t, on Jul 17 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

I win ♠A and duck a heart. Opps must play trump again.

What if RHO wins the first heart and returns a club?

Instead of ducking the heart, another option is to win the trump in dummy, ruff a diamond high (just in case LHO had a doubleton), and run the trumps coming down to ♥K83 ♣Ax in hand and the 5 clubs in dummy. LHO has to keep two hearts and has room for only 3 clubs. Then you play CA, CK, and exit a club. LHO must concede the last trick to the HK.
0

#4 User is offline   zasanya 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 747
  • Joined: 2003-December-24
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Thane,Mumbai,Maharashtra,India
  • Interests:Chess,Scrabble,Bridge

Posted 2009-July-18, 07:39

quiddity, on Jul 18 2009, 02:23 AM, said:

helene_t, on Jul 17 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

I win ♠A and duck a heart. Opps must play trump again.

What if RHO wins the first heart and returns a club?

Instead of ducking the heart, another option is to win the trump in dummy, ruff a diamond high (just in case LHO had a doubleton), and run the trumps coming down to ♥K83 ♣Ax in hand and the 5 clubs in dummy. LHO has to keep two hearts and has room for only 3 clubs. Then you play CA, CK, and exit a club. LHO must concede the last trick to the HK.

If ♥ won by RHO and ♣ retd win in hand Play ♥.Now if trump is not retd ruff ♥ .If trump retd ♥ ♣ squeeze against LHO.
Aniruddha
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius".
0

#5 User is offline   karlson 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 974
  • Joined: 2005-April-06

Posted 2009-July-18, 13:43

The squeeze works. It's kind of a funny hand, as the defense doesn't quite have time to break up the squeeze as well as lead trumps.

I think quiddity's line will not work unless lefty has a doubleton diamond (from the ruff high comment, maybe you though two rounds have been played already though?) since otherwise he can just keep a diamond and stiff the ♥A.
0

#6 User is offline   quiddity 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,099
  • Joined: 2008-November-21

Posted 2009-July-18, 17:45

Yes, I was confused; nice squeeze.
0

#7 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-July-18, 18:05

karlson, on Jul 18 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

I think quiddity's line will not work unless lefty has a doubleton diamond (from the ruff high comment, maybe you though two rounds have been played already though?) since otherwise he can just keep a diamond and stiff the ♥A.

Well it does work if you guess right at trick 8. You have ♠x ♥Kxx ♣Ax left. If LHO has only two hearts left, you lead a heart. If he has no diamonds left, you lead your last trump. And of course he has to keep 3 clubs.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users