BBO Discussion Forums: A problem with suggested defense... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A problem with suggested defense... only in ACBL

#1 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-July-13, 16:00

Here's a weird one that came up last week at a regional tournament.

2!(1) - X!(2) - XX!(3) - 3(4)
Pass - 3NT - All Pass

(1) Alerted as multi, showing a weak two in either major

In ACBL events, multi requires an official suggested defense. The opening side had the required two copies of the defenses, and their opponents had agreed to play defense two.

(2) 13-15 balanced or semi-balanced, or any 19+ according to ACBL defense two

(3) Alerted and explained as "please bid your major."

(4) ACBL defense two specifies that in this auction over a redouble meaning "I have a good diamond suit" bidding 3 is an invitational or better transfer to spades. This is how the 3 bid was intended when made at the table. However, ACBL defense two does not say anything about the meaning of follow-up bids in this auction where redouble is "bid your major." The 3 bidder's partner thus assumed that 3 was natural and showed a good hand. Holding Ax and AJT he chose to bid 3NT over this.

Assuming that a better contract could/should have been reached if the 3 bid was understood to show spades, should there be any ruling here?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#2 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2009-July-13, 18:00

I sat on an ACBL appeal at an NABC many years ago in a similar case: we wanted to give both sides a good score and charge the ACBL the difference!

Unless the ACBL creates a regulation as to what to do if the defences are inadequate it is not clear what can be done. I think they should produce such a regulation.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#3 User is offline   greenender 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-July-16, 07:17

I can't see any basis for a normal score adjustment, because the side opening the Multi have done all that the regulations required.

I suppose that if, as the Multi side, I had noticed when providing the opponents with the defence that there was a gap, I would probably have pointed it out and given them the opportunity to agree something, but that is a matter of "personal ethics".

I wonder, however, whether the combination of the regulation and the fact that the agreed meaning of redouble doesn't feature in the suggested defence, has made normal play of the board impossible. We could then give both sides the good score bluejak would like to see. But this is only really appropriate if the TD is called during the auction if the dilemma is noticed. Otherwise a bridge result has been obtained, and if the opening side has got a good score, they should be entitled to keep it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users