• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Senior finals

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-July-10, 21:18

1) Assume after sundown on the Sabbath and one player is forbidden from writing due to religion.
2) With screens Player A alerts his partner's bids.
3) Opp asks and Player A requests he and OPP. leave the table so he can explain.

Any law issues?

#2 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-10, 21:28

Stop teasing Matt Granovetter :P
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#3 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-July-10, 21:55

mtvesuvius, on Jul 10 2009, 10:28 PM, said:

Stop teasing Matt Granovetter :P

I have been paying Matt money for what......20 or more years? Longer than some posters alive. :)

See all of his Roth Stone articles or Obvious shifts articles/etc...blame him....

btw I thought this was real life/at the table/.. issue.

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-July-10, 22:13

If there are religious objections to writing things down because it's the Sabbath, there are probably religious objections to playing a card game at all.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-July-10, 22:33

blackshoe, on Jul 10 2009, 11:13 PM, said:

If there are religious objections to writing things down because it's the Sabbath, there are probably religious objections to playing a card game at all.

?

It seems NO!

again I just ask what law issues this raises at the table in real life/real table?

"As a general rule, if you can't decide where something should go, put it in "Laws and Rulings". We'll move it if necessary."

#6 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-10, 22:59

This is a legitimate problem technically, since AFAIK Judaism has no problem with card playing of most sorts outside a synagogue. I believe that a procedural penalty may be awarded? Not sure though :P
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#7 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-11, 00:09

What about getting paid (a lot) of money to play on the sabbath? Not familiar with the Jewish laws, how is that thought about? Isn't it similar to working, especially when bridge is your source of income?

If you are choosing to obey some laws and not others, does that affect the answer to OPs question or is it irrelevant? Personally I would be a little annoyed if someone did this and I was opposing them. It would seem hypocritical to me, and self serving.

#8 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-July-11, 00:32

Jlall, on Jul 11 2009, 01:09 AM, said:

What about getting paid (a lot) of money to play on the sabbath? Not familiar with the Jewish laws, how is that thought about? Isn't it similar to working, especially when bridge is your source of income?

If you are choosing to obey some laws and not others, does that affect the answer to OPs question or is it irrelevant? Personally I would be a little annoyed if someone did this and I was opposing them. It would seem hypocritical to me, and self serving.

for this thread I assume:
1) we try and obey all bridge laws
2) we try and obey religion laws.
3) we try ....full/100% disclosure per bridge laws /bridge ethics

#9 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-11, 01:03

Personally if I was trying to obey a law to not work, I wouldn't work. If I did then choose to work I wouldn't say that I am incapable of WRITING because my religion prohibits working. If I suspected my opp of doing this I might LOL before repeating my request to know what the bid means, and reminding them that they cannot talk behind screens. If they spoke or didn't tell me I would call the director and have a penalty enforced.

#10 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-11, 02:03

In Judaism, saving a life trumps pretty much all other religious laws. So if you were to threaten to kill his partner unless he writes an explanation down, then he is allowed to write his explanation. Or perhaps that should be the job of the director.

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-July-11, 08:22

I know what I said, Mike, and yes, this is the appropriate place for this question. So, back to the original question: "any law issues?"

No, I don't think there are. I might suggest to the opponent that he write down the explanation, so there's a written record of it, in case there's a problem later.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-11, 13:08

If the screen regulations require that explanations are written down (which is pretty common) then the player should have realized that his religion prohibited him from playing bridge according to the laws (80B2e + the relevant screen regulation). Therefore, the player shouldn't have participated to begin with.

Unfortunately, the player decided to participate anyway, but refused to play according to the laws and regulations. That is a violation of law 90B8 for which the TD will award a PP. When the player still refuses to write down the explanation, the TD can suspend the player for the duration of the session (91A) and, if necessary, he can expell the player if the organization allows him to do that. I expect that the player in question will accept these consequences with grace and maybe even pride since it will solidify his religious basis.

Of course, in practice, I would be willing to look for a compromise between the laws and regulations on the one hand and the religious restrictions of the player on the other hand. However, I wouldn't allow them to walk away from the table to do the explaining elsewhere, since the shuffling with chairs, etc. would give tons of UI to the other side of the table. And presumably this event was played with screens to prevent precisely this sort of UI.

But I could certainly think of other compromises. I could suggest that the player would get someone to do his writing for him. He could whisper the meaning in the secretary's ear and the secretary would write it down. I could imagine that the screen mate or a kibitzer would act as the secretary. Given the fact that the player is playing with a partner and two opponents who are required to write down explanations and fill out score cards, I can't imagine that there would be a religious reason that would ban him from getting a third person to do the writing. But, then again, I am a TD and not a rabbi.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-11, 13:18

What if the player had a "goy" do the writing?

This would seem to be in concert with both the bridge and religious laws :)
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#14 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2009-July-11, 13:52

Don't you people have diversity training!?
If the regulations prevent people playing bridge because of their religion, I would be worried about contravening human rights legislation, just as if the player were disabled.

I would expect to treat this player the same way we treat disabled players in the EBU. This basically gives the TD the authority to modify any regulation if considered appropriate to accommodate a player with a disability. I think "modify" can be read as "disregard".

I would suspend the regulation for written explanations on this side of the screen. This regulation is regularly flouted at European events, anyway.

I would have expected the player to have anticipated the problem and to have informed the tournament organiser in advance (or did play extend beyond sundown unexpectedly?).

Robin (was RMB on bridgetalk)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-July-11, 15:01

RMB1, on Jul 11 2009, 02:52 PM, said:

This regulation is regularly flouted at European events, anyway.

Yeah, sure, that's a great reason for "suspending" it.
--------------------

#16 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-July-11, 15:32

Trinidad, on Jul 11 2009, 02:08 PM, said:

If the screen regulations require that explanations are written down (which is pretty common) then the player should have realized that his religion prohibited him from playing bridge according to the laws (80B2e + the relevant screen regulation). Therefore, the player shouldn't have participated to begin with.

And if he can't walk and has to use a wheelchair, and the game takes place in a building with stairs to get inside, then he is also prevented from playing bridge according to the laws so he shouldn't participate to begin with?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#17 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-11, 16:03

jdonn, on Jul 11 2009, 04:32 PM, said:

Trinidad, on Jul 11 2009, 02:08 PM, said:

And if he can't walk and has to use a wheelchair, and the game takes place in a building with stairs to get inside, then he is also prevented from playing bridge according to the laws so he shouldn't participate to begin with?

Exactly.

#18 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-11, 19:20

If the regulations prevent people playing bridge because of their religion, I would be worried about contravening human rights legislation, just as if the player were disabled.

I would expect to treat this player the same way we treat disabled players in the EBU. This basically gives the TD the authority to modify any regulation if considered appropriate to accommodate a player with a disability. I think "modify" can be read as "disregard".

I would suspend the regulation for written explanations on this side of the screen. This regulation is regularly flouted at European events, anyway.

I would have expected the player to have anticipated the problem and to have informed the tournament organiser in advance (or did play extend beyond sundown unexpectedly?).

Robin (was RMB on bridgetalk)

I agree with Robin. The accommodation for not writing due to religious reason is pretty simple to do, but surely the player needed to inform the TD's or whathavewe about the need for this accommodation, before play began; and the opposing players deserved an advance notice of this, as a courtesy anyway even if/when/as they had no problem with it.

#19 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-July-12, 00:13

:huh:

Regarding robin's reply and other then scathing responses

As TD's I always thought we were there for the 'Benefit' of the players and we should always try to accomodate their needs NOT OURS

:rolleyes:

#20 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-12, 01:53

I hope this doesn't shock you but I have never had diversity training.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users