I had an interesting problem come up.
Suppose that you open 2♥ or 2♠ weak, despite having 6-4 or 4-6 in the majors.
Partner then bids 2NT, asking for length and shape (3♣ five, with 3♦ strength re-ask; 3♦/3♥/3♠ 6min/mid/max). You show whatever you have, and partner elects to bid 3NT.
Now, with 6-4 or 4-6, especially with some hands, you may have really good cause to pull 3NT. If you hold 6♠/4♥, then 4♥ seems to show what you have and gives partner options. But, if you hold 6♥/4♠, you have a problem.
Seems to me that 2♥-P-2NT!-P-?-P-3NT-P-4♣ might make sense as "stayman" or "nmf" or something.
Thoughts?
(I had ♠Jxxx ♥QJ10xxx ♦Jx ♣x or so.)
Page 1 of 1
Strange Stayman Sequence?
#1
Posted 2009-July-14, 18:50
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."
-P.J. Painter.
-P.J. Painter.
#2
Posted 2009-July-14, 18:52
It is a general problem when you have shorter spades than hearts and partner prematurely bids 3NT.
Perhaps 4♥ by inference shows that hand. Depending on how likely seven hearts are.
Perhaps 4♥ by inference shows that hand. Depending on how likely seven hearts are.
Wayne Burrows
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#3
Posted 2009-July-14, 18:55
I think, having shown a bad hand with 6 hearts (please tell me this was a bad hand for you), that pulling 3NT on that particular hand is quite bad even if you can show it. Come to think of it, I don't think I would ever want to preempt in hearts if I hold spades so good that I will feel the need to pull 3NT later.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
#4
Posted 2009-July-15, 06:02
In practice, I passed 3NT. I think partner's 3NT was off (he had AK tight in hearts). But, then I wondered if the 4-6 pattern was that extra something meriting my call of something to show 4-6 pattern. Two ways to win, rather than one.
I did show weak with six, btw.
I did show weak with six, btw.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."
-P.J. Painter.
-P.J. Painter.
#5
Posted 2009-July-15, 07:44
kenrexford, on Jul 15 2009, 02:02 PM, said:
In practice, I passed 3NT. I think partner's 3NT was off (he had AK tight in hearts). But, then I wondered if the 4-6 pattern was that extra something meriting my call of something to show 4-6 pattern. Two ways to win, rather than one.
I did show weak with six, btw.
I did show weak with six, btw.
Your hand is not worth opening. It is a defensive hand.
Opening anyway your partner seems not to understand the implications of holding top cards in his short suit versus long-weak.
#6
Posted 2009-July-15, 08:06
I fail to see the need to create the problem with the wk 2H to begin with. I try to avoid making sense of a bid that might come up once in a couple of thousand hands. My thoughts are more like, why do you want to consider this this?
#7
Posted 2009-July-15, 08:19
I think that your main problem on this hand was partner's decision to play 3NT opposite a bad weak 2 bid in hearts when he holds the AK tight of hearts (assuming that your recollection is correct).
Page 1 of 1

Help
