BBO Discussion Forums: 25 Point 5-5!!! - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

25 Point 5-5!!! WOW

#21 User is offline   xcurt 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 612
  • Joined: 2007-December-31
  • Location:Bethesda, Maryland, USA

Posted 2009-July-12, 18:51

I would take out. Having bid 4♣ the first time, I think we can now bid 4NT not 5NT, nothing precludes us from raising and we might learn something more about the hand.

Having doubled the first time, assuming LHO still bids 4♠, 4NT is probably natural. I probably have to bid 5NT now. I still get the main upside of my plan, which is finding out if partner has 4 hearts. Unfortunately I'm going to find that out at the 6 level. I'm still on the fence on whether or not to raise to grand if partner bids 6♥ over my 5NT. In the Leaping Michaels auction the 4♠ call is more likely be concealing a partial diamond fit than here, where it might be ♠KQJTxxxx and out. I need 7 red cards including at least 4 hearts, along with running clubs and hearts, to make grand good.

The big spade bid does shift the odds a lot, though, to us being able to avoid losing slow rounded suit tricks. I can handle a spade loser if I can fade all the late rounds of clubs and hearts, so my previous argument about 5-or-7 got blown away by the 4♠ call.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
0

#22 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-12, 21:31

kenrexford, on Jul 13 2009, 01:39 AM, said:

This is why I never understood the popularity of "Leaping Michaels" rather than Roman Jumps. Everyone seems to be scratching their head as to what to bid with Leaping Michaels because of the club-spade problem. With Roman Jumps, you just bid the lower of two tocuhings, with a jump, revolving around if only touching that way or through their suit.

So, after 2♦, there is no ambiguity, even without precise discussion to remember. 3♥ for majors, 3♠ for spades and clubs, and 4♣ for clubs and hearts. (4♦ majors stronger)

I like that.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#23 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-12, 21:33

Jlall, on Jul 13 2009, 12:32 PM, said:

crack

how does partner know you have hearts rather than spades?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#24 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-12, 22:34

Cascade, on Jul 12 2009, 10:33 PM, said:

Jlall, on Jul 13 2009, 12:32 PM, said:

crack

how does partner know you have hearts rather than spades?

You pat your chest obv
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#25 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-July-13, 06:32

Starting with 4♣ looks obvious to me.

Over 4♠ I rebid 4NT.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#26 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-13, 09:12

I was going to force to slam when I bid 4♣ and the 4♠ bid doesn't change my mind. 5NT.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users