Posted 2009-July-10, 20:26
After winning ♦A, I'll go on with a diamond ruff, the ♥K, and another diamond ruff. At this point I'll know whether the diamonds are breaking, and if not, who is guarding them. If diamonds are breaking 4-3, I'm home: ♥A-Q-J, dummy throwing two clubs; ♠A; diamond ten ruffed; ♠K; ♣K-A; diamond ---- making seven, AND the beer.
Could East be guarding the diamonds? I don't know if passing at favorable vulnerability over (1♦)-(1♥) with 11 black cards is in West's repertoire of "proper, technical defensive maneuvers", but in that case West is a prohibitive favorite to hold the ♣Q anyway (I can also guard against an East singleton ♣Q).
So give West the long diamonds.
Now I pull trump and run the majors, leaving ♥x ♣K102 in hand and ♦10 ♣AJ5 in dummy. When I lead my last trump West has to keep his diamond, so he makes a forced club discard (from three) and dummy lets go the diamond. Now I cross to the ♣A and lead the ♣J. If East, who is NOT the "true Expert," doesn't bite on it (I'm counting huddles and hitches here), I play for the DROP against West by rising with the ♣K.
1♦ - 1♥
3♣ - 3♥
4♥ - 4[NT]
5♠ - 5[NT]*
7♥
*-Guarantees all 4 Aces