BBO Discussion Forums: fifth-round bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

fifth-round bid

#1 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-July-08, 08:34

R/R, imps

♠xx
♥AKQx
♦x
♣AKQxxx

1♣-1♠
2♥-2♠
3♦-3♥
3♠-4♣
??

Do you agree with the bidding thus far?

What's your bid now -- RKC (4♦), 4♥, or 5♣? If one of the former -- partner shows the ♠A. What then?
0

#2 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-08, 10:10

I would just bid 5♣.

Presumably 3♦ set up a force where 3♣ wouldn't have been (good). What no one has told yet is how high is 3♦ forcing? 4♣? Game? 3♦ is a big bid, and I don't think we have much left in the tank.

Without discussion, I would say 3♦ is just forcing to 4♣. Pard hasn't shown me any more than ♠Axxxx ♥xxx ♦xxx♣xx. Come to think of it, we are a long way from 11 tricks here.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#3 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-08, 10:13

I bid 4♥ and sign off over 4♠. We need more than AK of spades for slam, but I have to do something encouraging or it will be very hard for partner to bid good slams with his bad trumps. He has neither shown nor denied real values to this point, just shown a shape like 5332 without a diamond stopper.

Now that I think about it, I want to change to 4♦, I think 4♥ is an offer to play (I could be 2425). But I still like to cuebid once then leave it to partner.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,160
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-09, 06:35

Hi,

I think I would have bid 4C instead of 3S, 3S just
sounds like a cue for hearts.
As the auction went, i am not 100% sure both side
that both sides are in sync with regard to the trump
suit.

If you are sure, that 4D is RKCB, than I would bid it
and if partner showes 1KC bid 6C.

With kind regards
Marlowe

PS: For me 3D would be gf, but than I am used to a style,
that could have passed 2S.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#5 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,235
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-09, 06:41

Apollo81, on Jul 8 2009, 09:34 AM, said:

R/R, imps

♠xx
♥AKQx
♦x
♣AKQxxx

1♣-1♠
2♥-2♠
3♦-3♥
3♠-4♣
??

Do you agree with the bidding thus far?

What's your bid now -- RKC (4♦), 4♥, or 5♣?  If one of the former -- partner shows the ♠A.  What then?

tough one,

prefer 4c rather than 3d.

given OP I guess 5c now.
0

#6 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-July-09, 08:20

Partner's got AKTxx xxx xx xxx. He'll cuebid, but he won't bid slam over 5♣.
0

#7 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,235
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-09, 09:17

Apollo81, on Jul 9 2009, 09:20 AM, said:

Partner's got AKTxx xxx xx xxx.  He'll cuebid, but he won't bid slam over 5♣.

given OP bidding prefer 4c rather than 3h rebid.
0

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-09, 09:32

Apollo81, on Jul 9 2009, 09:20 AM, said:

Partner's got AKTxx xxx xx xxx.  He'll cuebid, but he won't bid slam over 5♣.

Hard one. I don't see why his minors couldn't be 3-2 instead. Overall I think both players bid very well. Maybe responder should bid slam after a cuebid? His partner can only be 2416 or 2407 for his bidding, forced to game, then cuebid. What does he have that isn't slam, or at least play? Maybe you can construct a hand off two tricks, but you have to work hard to do it. Qx KQJx x AKQJxx should not cuebid.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-09, 15:56

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I'd suppot partner's suit instead of rebidding a 5 card one.
0

#10 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-09, 16:05

Passing after 4H-4S-5C is lol bad. Agree with 4S rather than keycard, you want partner to keycard (or cuebid 5D then you can bid 5S and get to 7 when it's right). What did that person expect their partner to have where slam is bad?

Not cuebidding over 4C is lol bad. Yes you only have 18 points, but jesus you have a great slam hand. You need very little. For instance...partner's hand.
0

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-09, 16:29

Fluffy, on Jul 10 2009, 09:56 AM, said:

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I'd suppot partner's suit instead of rebidding a 5 card one.

Assuming you mean 3♣ rather than 2♠ I agree.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#12 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2009-July-11, 04:48

I really hate responder's 3H bid. What was that supposed to mean? Why not just raise clubs over 3H. As it was we had a very murky auction where it wasn't at all clear what trumps were supposed to be. It's only by looking at our hand that we know 4C wasn't intended as a cue for spades.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users