BBO Discussion Forums: 5D min 1 - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5D min 1 ...should it make?

#1 User is offline   kgr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2003-April-11

Posted 2009-July-07, 17:24


(1♠)-Pass-(3♠)-4♦
(4♠)-5♦-All Pass
 
3♠ is 4 card ♠ and 0 to 6 pts.
LHO lead ♥A followed by a small ♠.
South now plays ♦K to discover the bad ♦ break.
Should South make his contract here?
....Hope you like this hand.
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
0

#2 User is offline   wclass___ 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 431
  • Joined: 2008-November-02

Posted 2009-July-08, 05:24

I think he should.

3. ♦K
4. ♦ to J
5. ♥ to Q and A
If opp returns ♥
6. win ♥ discarding ♣
7. ♣ to A
8. ♣ ruff
9. ♥ ruff
10. ♦Q squeezes west
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab
0

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-08, 05:44

Not sure if there is a balancing squeeze, but your line I think it does not, 2 spades and 1 club are free to discard on 3 rounds of trumps. Had he got 4th heart as well maybe it would work
0

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-July-08, 06:48

He had to discard on the fourth round of hearts too. This is wclass's ending, with ♦Q led from hand:

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#5 User is offline   kgr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2003-April-11

Posted 2009-July-08, 09:29

gnasher, on Jul 8 2009, 02:48 PM, said:

He had to discard on the fourth round of hearts too. This is wclass's ending, with ♦Q led from hand:

I was sitting West and declarer did go minus 1 here.
I felt at the table that an entry-shifting trump squeeze should have been possible, but I didn't really know how at that time.
Maybe I will never again recognize - or 'feel' - an entry-shifting trump squeeze at the table, therefor I posted this hand.
...For an expert it should even be possible to play the hand like this and the entry-shifting trump squeeze is the best chance to make the contract?
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
0

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-08, 17:14

I need to stop posting when I am tired far from home.
0

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-08, 17:15

An entry-shifting squeeze is the coolest type of squeeze I know of that I have never managed to find at the table. :P I once had a smother play but it took misdefense on approximately every other trick to achieve, so that probably shouldn't count either.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#8 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-08, 17:28

jdonn, on Jul 8 2009, 06:15 PM, said:

An entry-shifting squeeze is the coolest type of squeeze I know of that I have never managed to find at the table. :P I once had a smother play but it took misdefense on approximately every other trick to achieve, so that probably shouldn't count either.

Me neither. Although I may have had one but didn't recognize it.

My favorite is a jettison squeeze that reduced my winner count but straightened up the entries for a triple.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-09, 16:39

I found one once, but the ace of trumps was on the wrong hand :)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users