Posted 2009-July-08, 10:41
I was going to post before I saw Phil's last, and haven't thought much about what he wrote..so I may be out to lunch....but....
What does LHO have? As phil noted, we can safely place LHO with the heart A... otherwise he has a spade lead, not a diamond. Also, he has to have at least Ax in trump.
If he was 4=3=2=4 on most hands he has a 1N opening bid, but he might (and in my view should) open 1♣ and rebid 1♠ with, say, KJxx Ax Ax QJxxx. Further, with a lesser hand with 4=3=2=4, bidding 1♠ seems a bit much when his partner has passed his 1♣ opening bid. I mean... KJxx Axx Ax Qxxx is at best a borderline 1♠, whereas KJxx Axx Ax QJxx is everyone's 1N.
So I think that LHO is in fact 4=2=2=5.
In which case, how can it be wrong to win the diamond K and lead the heart Q?
LHO has no answer...if he ducks, we play another heart...win any return... if a spade, in hand and cross in clubs to pitch a spade, then ruff a club, cash the diamond, ruff the diamond and claim our 10 tricks. If he wins, we can win his return, pull one more round of trump and then ruff a diamond in dummy,
Or we could win the diamond K, lead a heart to hand...if LHO wins, we win the return, cash the heart Q, and manoeuver to ruff our 4th diamond. If he ducks, well, he's welcome to his stiff heart A anytime thereafter.
In fact, I would be confident enough of this read that unless I had a lot of time available, I would embark on this line rather than try to cater to 4=3=2=4.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
1S - 2S - p - 4H