Your choice of actions
#2
Posted 2009-July-06, 03:47
George Carlin
#3
Posted 2009-July-06, 04:51
2nd round : The choice is between 2♦ and 4♦. 4♦ is more informative (shows at once the ♠ support, ♦ shortage and slam interest) , but I feel my hand is too powerful , and he will often sign off after 4♦ when slam is makeable.
So I think I will try to find out more , by going slowly with 2♦.
#4
Posted 2009-July-06, 05:01
Now the choices are 2 ♦ 3 ♣ and 4♦
I do not like 4♦ because we may not find the right strain when partner with a 3244 or 3253 decided to bid his bertter major.
3 ♣ and later show the spade support looks nice but maybe this is not as easy as it seems.
So 2♦, intending to raise spades later.
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
#5
Posted 2009-July-06, 05:08
#1 X, what ever your upper limit for a simple overcall is, this hand is too strong,
and you wont have a troube bidding your suit at the level.
#2 4D as a splinter looks reasonable, although I would most likely go with 4S,
since I doubt, we will be able to get to slam in a confident manner.
With kind regards
Marlowe
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
#6
Posted 2009-July-06, 05:40
Codo, on Jul 6 2009, 06:01 AM, said:
Now the choices are 2 ♦ 3 ♣ and 4♦
I do not like 4♦ because we may not find the right strain when partner with a 3244 or 3253 decided to bid his bertter major.
3 ♣ and later show the spade support looks nice but maybe this is not as easy as it seems.
So 2♦, intending to raise spades later.
I thought it is standard that a 3♣ rebid by the doubler is very strong (like an Acol 2 opening) but non forcing. To force the doubler needs to cuebid , than bid a new suit.
#7
Posted 2009-July-06, 07:12
I have no idea whether is allready a GF in theory, maybe it is passable with a non fitting yarb., but with Qxxx,xxx,xxx,Qxx partner will not pass.....
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
#8
Posted 2009-July-07, 04:31
East as dealer began with 1♦. The bidding at our table went:
East - South - West - North
1♦ - Dbl - pass - 1♠
pass - 4♦ - pass - 4♠
All pass
East held ALL the missing HCP and it is possible to make a grand on a squeeze
When the deal was played, I held the North hand. At the table partner blamed me for not bidding on (his rationale: I was a maximum for the 1♠ bid, which could be on 0 HCP hands). However, I thought my bid was normal (my rationale: most of my HCP -- ♦A -- is wasted opposite a singleton/void).
Please feel free to comment / assign blame for not reaching the 6-level in bidding.
#9
Posted 2009-July-07, 05:03
When looking for slam, it's about covering partner's losing tricks. The ace of diamonds covers any possible diamond loser partner has, and the club Q will solidify partner's holding in that suit.
--Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.
#10
Posted 2009-July-07, 06:07
This is why I think that 4 ♦ is no good bid. With your hand you must bid 5 ♦ to show your main value, hardly something you would like to do. But you have to.
After 2 ♦ it had been much easier for you to show your maximum at a lower level.
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
#11
Posted 2009-July-07, 07:15
#12
Posted 2009-July-07, 07:54
#13
Posted 2009-July-07, 13:13
Usually with a splinter with nothing (surely) wasted I think we should be prepared to venture to the five-level. This is a little different since 1♠ is such a wide range. However we do have extra values.
Doubler has 2♦ as a general force so maybe it is possible to play 3♦ as a normal splinter and 4♦ as a void on this auction.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#14
Posted 2009-July-07, 13:30
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
#15
Posted 2009-July-07, 14:57
benlessard, on Jul 8 2009, 07:30 AM, said:
I thought the standard for 3♣ was something like 19 HCP but not forcing.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#16
Posted 2009-July-07, 16:20
Cascade, on Jul 7 2009, 08:57 PM, said:
benlessard, on Jul 8 2009, 07:30 AM, said:
I thought the standard for 3♣ was something like 19 HCP but not forcing.
what do you think 2♣ shows?
#17
Posted 2009-July-07, 16:23
#18
Posted 2009-July-07, 18:13
Fluffy, on Jul 8 2009, 10:20 AM, said:
Cascade, on Jul 7 2009, 08:57 PM, said:
benlessard, on Jul 8 2009, 07:30 AM, said:
I thought the standard for 3♣ was something like 19 HCP but not forcing.
what do you think 2♣ shows?
A bit less than 3♣.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#19
Posted 2009-July-07, 21:57
Second choice would be a x followed by a 4D bid.
#20
Posted 2009-July-08, 02:01
1♣ dbl pass 1♠
pass 3♥
intending it as non-forcing, so it's probably unwise to bid 3♣ unless you're sure partner is going to interpret it correctly.
What shape can partner be to have only three spades? With a very weak 3343 or 3253 he should bid 2♣, because that's less likely to get raised to the four level. I suppose he could have something like Qxx xxx xxxxx xx, but on that hand the best game is 4♠ anyway.
I could live with being in slam opposite ♠Qxxx and nothing else, so I don't think it's sufficient to splinter and then give up. I'd start with 2♦ and see if partner shows any sign of life.
After someone doubles and then cue-bids, there's a good case for playing the first step in reply as an artificial negative. Without that agreement, I think that rebidding 2♠ just shows a bad hand and doesn't promise any more spades than before. I'd splinter over that, showing a massive hand that's still interested in slam even opposite a pile of junk. That doesn't emphasise the importance of ♣Q, bu it's hard to get spades agreed and show clubs.
With advancer's actual hand in the actual auction, clearly he should move. An ace opposite shortage isn't as valuable as an ace opposite length, but it's still useful for keeping control, as an entry, and as a trick.
This post has been edited by gnasher: 2009-July-08, 02:03

Help

East as dealer begins with 1♦ -- which promises at least 4 cards. The bidding goes:
East - South - West - North
1♦ - ??? - pass - 1♠*
pass - ???
Would appreciate your comments as well.
Notes:
1. Assume you don't know partner will bid 1♠ when you take your first action.
2. If you bid 2♣ first, you cannot be sure partner will bid.