BBO Discussion Forums: Sit down in a JEC Match - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sit down in a JEC Match Hand 5... (board 10)

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,566
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amelia Island, FL
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2009-July-01, 11:01

We have all seen and kibitzed Jimmy Cayne matches, some of us have played in them (in my case with not a good result for me). All these hands will be from Feb 2, 2009 match. Here is the fifth hand from that match on the BBO, see how you would do. Note: these actual hands and not problem hands, per se. Most will not be a major challenge BBO forum regulars.

Eventually we will assign imps for different actions.

Scoring: IMP

This one may have a more questions, depending on what "we" decide to do.

You hear your RHO open 1♦, now it is your call.

You bid?

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-01, 11:06

I can't even fathom a good reason to convince yourself to do anything abnormal rather than 2♣.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,566
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amelia Island, FL
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2009-July-01, 11:21

jdonn, on Jul 1 2009, 12:06 PM, said:

I can't even fathom a good reason to convince yourself to do anything abnormal rather than 2♣.

There were two different actions with this hand.... at the two different tables. So if we have two (or more) different actions here, we will have to have different potential follow ups.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   jjbrr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,525
  • Joined: 2009-March-30
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-01, 11:33

I wouldn't bid 3♣. agree with jdonn.
OK
bed
0

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,568
  • Joined: 2006-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Barrington IL USA
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2009-July-01, 11:36

And 2♣ for me also.
0

#6 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-July-01, 11:54

1♠, I can't stomach missing spades.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#7 User is offline   Lobowolf 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,030
  • Joined: 2008-August-08
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-July-01, 12:01

2♣. I can't stomach finding spades.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."
0

#8 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-July-01, 12:18

2♣ seems obvious to me. I'm not even sure Marshall Miles would bid 1♠ here with such a disparity in the black suits.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#9 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-July-01, 12:25

I might risk 3♣. The hand has a very high offensive value and (if partner has some club length) a low defensive value. I wish to dissuade partner from raising me easily OR from doubling them later with some scattered defensive values.
0

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-July-01, 12:29

I think I'd 2♣ even if playing raptor nt.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#11 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-01, 12:31

se12sam, on Jul 1 2009, 01:25 PM, said:

The hand has a very high offensive value and (if partner has some club length) a low defensive value.

I think completely the opposite. KQJTxxx is high offense, low defense. AKQxxx is high defense. It becomes high offense if partner has support, but of course after 2♣ you should find that out by getting raised.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-July-01, 12:42

2♣ seems obvious, but I can see someone passing with this hand.
0

#13 User is offline   inquiry 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,566
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amelia Island, FL
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2009-July-01, 13:57

Ok, we shall continue the auction for those of you who choose to bid 2♣. If anyone ever overcalls 3♣ with this hand, I will give the follow up auction as well.

Over 2♣, LHO passes and partner bids 2♥ and RHO passes.

Bidding to date:

(1D)-2C-(P )-2H
(P )- ?
--Ben--

#14 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-July-01, 13:57

Now I bid 2♠.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#15 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-July-01, 14:05

2♣...2♠

About obvious.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#16 User is offline   jjbrr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,525
  • Joined: 2009-March-30
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-01, 14:14

bid my 4 card suit at as low a level as i can.
OK
bed
0

#17 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-July-01, 14:33

I pass. If I have to bid, then I bid 3♣.

I'm sorry I don't get the 2♠ bid. Do we expect partner to have 5-4 in majors? If so, isn't the opponents' silence deafening? They have ~9 card fit in diamonds and have passed. Possibly partner has bid 2♥ to improve on the 2♣ contract. I have a singleton diamond and a 2-card support. That's enough for me...
0

#18 User is offline   xcurt 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 612
  • Joined: 2007-December-31
  • Location:Bethesda, Maryland, USA

Posted 2009-July-01, 18:43

Agree with pass here if 2H is constructive.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
0

#19 User is offline   inquiry 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,566
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amelia Island, FL
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2009-July-01, 20:45

Ok, let's score this one up.

Board 10 Feb 2 2009 Here Jimmy Cayne bid 3♣ keeping his partner out of the auction (I guess this answers the question of who bids 3♣ with this hand). At the other table, the bidding went 2♣-p-2♥-p-2♠-p-4♠, down two.

Those that pass 2♥ win 8 imps, +140 versus -200, (or maybe 7)
Those that rebid 2♠, lose 2 imps at the table (and 8 against those passing). Well done se12sam and maybe xcurt. Se12Sam also might have broken even with 3♣ as it looks like he might have bid that initially.
--Ben--

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-July-02, 06:52

But I want to be in 4♠ on these two hands.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users