Eventually we will assign imps for different actions.
Sit down in a JEC Match Hand 4... (board 5)
#1
Posted 2009-July-01, 11:01
Eventually we will assign imps for different actions.
#2
Posted 2009-July-01, 11:08
#3
Posted 2009-July-01, 11:46
jdonn, on Jul 1 2009, 12:08 PM, said:
I was more inclined to bid 2NT first. I think I'd be a little more gunshy if partner's minor is clubs.
Sorry, 5♠+5m always? I bid 4♠
This post has been edited by jjbrr: 2009-July-01, 11:48
bed
#4
Posted 2009-July-01, 12:31
#6
Posted 2009-July-01, 12:50
se12sam, on Jul 1 2009, 01:31 PM, said:
This is not my system, this is the auction and the alert at the table.
#7
Posted 2009-July-01, 13:41
I'm bidding 4♠.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#8
Posted 2009-July-01, 14:08
I mean, my call is substantially different if ♠xxxxx ♥xx ♦xxxxx ♣x is possible as opposed to 2♠ showing GF values at the other end.
-P.J. Painter.
#9
Posted 2009-July-01, 14:24
kenrexford, on Jul 1 2009, 03:08 PM, said:
I mean, my call is substantially different if ♠xxxxx ♥xx ♦xxxxx ♣x is possible as opposed to 2♠ showing GF values at the other end.
Oh my gosh, we have to figure out what partner would or wouldn't be bidding with even when no particular strength is agreed! I abstain, it can't be done.
#10
Posted 2009-July-01, 14:43
jdonn, on Jul 1 2009, 03:24 PM, said:
kenrexford, on Jul 1 2009, 03:08 PM, said:
I mean, my call is substantially different if ♠xxxxx ♥xx ♦xxxxx ♣x is possible as opposed to 2♠ showing GF values at the other end.
Oh my gosh, we have to figure out what partner would or wouldn't be bidding with even when no particular strength is agreed! I abstain, it can't be done.
Found the "mocking" now. LOL
Um.
OK, let's say I pull back the hyperbole. I have 2 covers if partner has spades and clubs (unless he has the diamond Queen) but three if he has spades and diamonds. So, I need partner to have a hand with about six losers with diamonds or five losers with clubs. That's a stronger hand than logic and judgment would require in the abstract for a competitive 2♠ call.
Using actual hands. To make it easy (because I have the club Ace and the diamond KJ), let's assume that partner has Q10xxx in whichever minor he holds.
Would ♠A109xx xx-x-Q10xxx be good enough for a competitive call? Of course, opposite an opener, I would hope. But, if the suit is clubs, we expect to lose two red cards and two black cards. If the suit is diamonds, we expect to lose one diamond, one rounded card, and one spade. That's if all goes well. Partner might even have a worse hand, I would think, as a logical possible meaning for the call.
I also, for that matter, don't understand why anyone would play that 2♠ shows spades and a minor without any agreement as to what Opener's calls mean. This is also not mentioned.
-P.J. Painter.
#11
Posted 2009-July-01, 19:47
#12
Posted 2009-July-01, 20:58
Well done to the forum members.
#13
Posted 2009-July-02, 06:08
-P.J. Painter.
#14
Posted 2009-July-02, 06:38
kenrexford, on Jul 1 2009, 09:43 PM, said:
If he has that, we probably can't beat 4♥ - clubs will probably be 3-0, because LHO overcalled 1NT rather than making a takeout double. And RHO has been very quiet given his considerable shape.
The latter consideration makes it very unlikely that partner has five clubs.
#15
Posted 2009-July-02, 07:28
kenrexford, on Jul 2 2009, 07:08 AM, said:
Click the link in my last post and you will see the full hand, with full bidding and play. As for responder's hand, it was pretty much exactly what jdonn suggested (well AKTxx of spades instead of KQTxx).
#16
Posted 2009-July-02, 07:33
inquiry, on Jul 2 2009, 08:28 AM, said:
kenrexford, on Jul 2 2009, 07:08 AM, said:
Click the link in my last post and you will see the full hand, with full bidding and play.
When I click on the link, I see the full hand, but not the bidding and play.
#17
Posted 2009-July-02, 08:07
That's a 6-loser hand. I would certainly not expect that without discussion. I mean, look at the alternative to bidding 2♠, namely a penalty double. If Declarer plays 1NTX, he seems to get two tricks simply because we run out of steam. If Advancer corrects to hearts, THEN Responder can show his hand, which is a powerhouse.
Obviously, if that hand was possible, no one at that level should pass with Opener's hand. The fact that 2♠ was apparently passed twice (unless I'm missing something, which is very possible) suggests that the real problem was the heavy 2♠ call.
-P.J. Painter.
#18
Posted 2009-July-02, 09:36
kenrexford, on Jul 2 2009, 09:07 AM, said:
That's a 6-loser hand. I would certainly not expect that without discussion. I mean, look at the alternative to bidding 2♠, namely a penalty double. If Declarer plays 1NTX, he seems to get two tricks simply because we run out of steam. If Advancer corrects to hearts, THEN Responder can show his hand, which is a powerhouse.
Obviously, if that hand was possible, no one at that level should pass with Opener's hand. The fact that 2♠ was apparently passed twice (unless I'm missing something, which is very possible) suggests that the real problem was the heavy 2♠ call.
The second time it showed only spades, not a minor as well. I think an expert passing at the table suggests people aren't used to evaluating in that situation, or can't get over the mental roadblock that they don't expect to have game after the 1NT overcall. If the ace of spades were the queen there would still be game.
#19
Posted 2009-July-02, 13:04
I wonder how many top flight pairs will bid game on this bidding sequence?
A case could be made for the responder to double 1NT; and, then lead a small Diamond! 5S+1H+4D+1C= +1100 down 5 doubled! Sorry the 4S bidders lost the board! Now, I am sure someone will tell me that the opponents will somehow land in 2H!!
The two hands turned out to be a perfect match. Is it really a good idea to establish your partnership bidding just because a particular layout of hands results in a game?
On the given bidding, I would expect partner to have a weaker hand; and I would pass 2S! Okay, I am willing to lose 11 IMPs on this board!
#20
Posted 2009-July-02, 13:09
Deevan, on Jul 2 2009, 02:04 PM, said:
You can tell during the auction they match! You have support for partner's 5 card spade suit, and for his 5 card minor you have either KJx with two outside aces or five card support.
Your entire argument is a straw man. No one has suggested bidding game 'on this type of sequence' or that we should bid it because this time the hands matched. The suggestion is to bid game because you can tell from your hand and the auction that there is a good chance it will make. If you can only tell rarely 'on this type of auction' that 'the hands match', then you only bid game in those rare cases, you don't fail to bid game simply because you don't usually have game on this auction.
Obviously suggestions that many top players would miss game, or that the auction could have gone differently from your side and achieved a better result, are completely irrelevant.

Help

(P)-1♣-(1N*)-2♠!
(P)-?
1NT was (15)16-18, partners 2♠ promised 5S+5 any minor
What do you bid?